Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #1

1st long term Whitehawk roadtrip

Just returned home [S Ky] from 6 weeks on Gulf Coast [Miss. and Fla] in our 2014 White Hawk 30dsre. 3000 miles towed by 2010 Silverado Duramax. Mph between 10 and 12 towing and 17+ w/o TT. Overnited 2 nights at 25-27 degrees w/o hookup and warm as toast but make sure you have full propane it you warm up a freezing tt [1 degree when we left home]. The Whawk towed like a champ including 700 mile tow home with 350 miles over rain and ice slick roads. Probably should have stopped when we passed more than a dozen accidents [several vehicle roll overs] in a 15 mile stretch] but slowed to 35mph and followed an 18wheeler at about 250 yards. Never a waggle or side slip and other than a heavy ice / slush build up there were absolutely zero problems. Not recommending pulling on snow or ice, but would have stopped if the truck we were following had pulled off. Secret is to SLOW DOWN and know how to drive on slick roads.

Actual on site experience left us totally satisfied after 4 weeks on the beach in Florida [15k A/C cools to a meat locker if you want but holds temp setting without excessive cycling. Furnace also worked to warm the tt even in subfreezing temps but ran down our single battery so a pair of 6volts will be installed before next trip. Creature comforts exceeded our expectations and really everything worked as intended.

White hawk now sitting on the pad in our back drive waiting for temp to warm up and melt the ice buildup on the outside and underside. 19 degrees inside the tt this am so my decision to winterize in the Wally W parking lot in N ala was a wise one. Used the lowpoint drains and then blew the lines with a 12v compressor [took about 10 minutes from start to finish]. Remembered to add pink stuff after making it home.

Love our White Hawk and already planning our next outing.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

Happy to read about your experience with White Hawk. We love ours too!
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Glad to hear you enjoy the Whitehawk. I pick up my 27DSRL at the end of March - looking forward to it. Never owned a camper before so this is a big experiment. Pulling with a 2012 Chevy 1500 5.3L with towing package. I'm a little concerned TT may be a little much for my truck but dealer says it will be no problem.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

Another one that's glad you like the White Hawk. We should be taking delivery in a couple of weeks, and like KYCamper, this is our first TT too. We're excited and nervous at the same time
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Got us excited too.....our White Hawk 30 DSQB is sitting on drive in back by the shop....ready to make our first run with it...new to RVing.....Have been trying to dig out all week from a major sleet storm to hit NE Arkansas.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #6

Glad your happy with your tt we sure loved using our on our road trip to minniapolis last July.....
Old 03-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #7

Ice and sludge has finally melted and dropped off. Today is pressure washer day. Actually sat in the WH yesterday and watched an episode of Blue Bloods that recorded the weekend we left florida that we missed. Again realized how comfortable it really is. Will be sad to pack it up until later in the Spring. Maybe why we are dragging out the clean up process. Has to happen because going in for a knee replacement in 2 weeks that will take me out of action until mid April.

Again I don't want to advocate towing in ice/snow, but wanted everyone here to appreciate how smoothly the WH tows. Any sway or waggle in those kind of conditions would be deadly and is likely the cause of many RV accidents. First and foremost, we slowed to a crawl [35 mph at times] when conditions were at their worst. Never got withing 100 yards of another vehicle and paid close attention to other traffic. Use the 18 wheeler in front of me for about 100 miles as a canary and when he slowed I slowed. Was prepared to stop if he did. Finally got to within 100 miles of home and the conditions improved. TV is a 2010 Silverado HD w/ duramax. Hitch is a Reese WD w/ single friction swaybar.

Enjoy the season.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
WCT

Wow, it's great to see fellow White Hawk owners on here. We just picked up our new 2014 White Hawk 27DSLR last week Thursday. Will be breaking it in next week on our first trip. Been stocking it up and stayed a couple of nights in it in the driveway using everything to make sure it all works.

Enjoy yours everyone! Will give you an update next week.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #9

Great update. Thanks for sharing. Took the cover off of our Whitehawk 30dsre. It camping season here in S. Oegon. Just a bit of frost in the morning. Cant wait to hit all our favorite camping spots.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjohneyre View Post
Great update. Thanks for sharing. Took the cover off of our Whitehawk 30dsre. It camping season here in S. Oegon. Just a bit of frost in the morning. Cant wait to hit all our favorite camping spots.
You guys had a pretty rough winter out there?? Son lives in Eugene and live in the hills out in the subburbs. They reported repeated snow, ice, and the usual excess of rain. Glad to here you're getting ready to hit the road for a new season of rving.

We're probably done for a few weeks, going in Monday for my 2nd knee replacement. Had so much fun [great results] with my first one last Oct that I immediately scheduled the other one. Looking forward to getting thru rehab so we can enjoy the spring outdoors.

Love the White Hawk.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCT View Post
Wow, it's great to see fellow White Hawk owners on here. We just picked up our new 2014 White Hawk 27DSLR last week Thursday. Will be breaking it in next week on our first trip. Been stocking it up and stayed a couple of nights in it in the driveway using everything to make sure it all works.

Enjoy yours everyone! Will give you an update next week.
Hit us with any questions on the new TT. Have you found the temp on/off knob on the outside minifridge?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #12

Upper r.h. Rear....very hard to get to.....
CPOWERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #13

Will be picking up our 2015 White Hawk Summit Edition in two weeks....Can't wait to get back home to Washington...been stuck here in Nevada for 6 months due to family illness.
So, how do you like your White Hawk?....What are you using as a TV? How does it handle on hills/grades, since we will be towing ours 1500 miles?

Thanks and Happy RVing!
Stephan & Sally
the7thdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #14

We will be getting our WH SE 27DSLR in two weeks....Can't wait....How do you like yours so far?
Thanks Stephan & Sally :-)
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 PM   #15

I have found it easier to use my left hand to twist the knob to control the fridge. You have to contort yourself a bit that's for sure. Glad to hear of your great trip with the White Hawk!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
We will be getting our WH SE 27DSLR in two weeks....Can't wait....How do you like yours so far?
We bought a 27DSRL in June and love it. The trailer tows well and has been issue free. The bathroom tap is very small but easily replaced if you want to change it.
Enjoy!
aroundeverycorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thdream View Post
Picked our WH up in early May and LOVE it! We have 25 nights and almost 3,500 miles on her so far this year and the only "issues" we've had are a broken window shade and noisy slide. IMO the trailer tows beautifully, but that said, this is the first real towing (other than a small boat occasionally) I've done so don't really have anything to compare to.

The only things we don't care for are the bedroom (very tight) and bathroom (shower is bigger than it needs to be and the door track collects water). As others have noted, the stock sink faucet is basically useless, and we replaced that with a high rise faucet.

The true test is whether or not we'd buy this trailer again, and the answer is ABSOLUTELY!

Enjoy your new trailer!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #18

Glad to hear you love your Whitehawk. We absolutely love ours!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #19

Well folks...1 week till we pick up our WHSE 27DSLR !!...She's still sitting in the showroom....till we can go get to her.
Can't wait.... in the meantime, we have been stocking up on supplies, got a new hitch (equal-i-zer 4 point), studying up on RV tips (things change) and selling everything we possibly can to go Full-Timing....the hardest part is the wait and getting out of Nevada for good and getting back to the Northwest!
Glad to hear everyone has had great experiences with their White Hawks...And that they share some stories and tips....And that is why RVing is a great social event....better than Facebok (don't tell my wife that though....she likes her FB games just as much!) ;-)

So keep your wheels to the ground and your hearts into what you love most and see you out there perhaps!

Stephan & Sally