Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

1st post. Can't get slide to close with power or manual. Help

Hi guys
I am in the process of getting a 2003 jayco 312fks. It's been at a campground on the ocean for a while so the underneath is kind of crunchy. Frame is solid but crossmembers and springs are kind of beat. That doesn't concern me. I can weld and am very handy. I just need help figuring out how to get the slide to go in to tow it home. I'm putting all new springs equalizers and shackles next weekend to haul it out.
Would it be easier to get slide to go in with the motor disconnected from the bar that manually retracts the slide? I don't know if it's the motor that's causing the problem. All I know is if I put 12v directly to the motor it just sparks a little but no movement. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance
Skirby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #2

There may be a place to use a rachet on the end of the shaft to move it manually.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

There is on both ends but I can't get it to budge that way either. I released the lever on the motor or at least got it to move for the brake but that doesn't help. I don't know if trying to get a few people to push on the slide would help or not. Just have to figure some kind of way to get it to go in
Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Be careful where your team pushes. Make sure to push where there is support behind. If the brake is disabled or removed from the shaft, it should be able to push it in.
Make sure to block it in with bars before towing as it goes out much easier than in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

The gears may be rusted together.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Team

If all else fails, maybe you could try an electric impact gun with a socket on the end. Adjust the torque to the low setting an slowly build on that. Try it both directions to see if it will loosen the mechanism. Can you get any spray lube/penetrant into the area of the gears?

Were there slide-out supports under the slide?

Just a thought

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

Thank you for the replies. I will give it a try with a few guys and removing the motor. Unfortunately I won't be able to get there until next Saturday. I will post how I made out. If anyone else has any other game ideas I would greatly appreciate having multiple things to try

Thanks again
Old 02-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #8

There weren't any slide supports under the slide. I did spray pb blaster and slide lubricant all over the slide rails and all the gears near the motor and near the ends of the rail that the slide move in and out on. Hopefully some time will loosen it up. I'm sure once I get it home I will be able to figure it out but next weekend I have to get the slide in and replace all springs equalizers and shackles so I can tow it home. So I'm hoping for a relatively quick temp fix. Lol. Also I didn't not think there is s enough room for an impact gun although that would be a great idea I think
Old 02-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #9

If the unit has been on blocks they may have settled a bit, tweaking the frame just enough to bind up the slide. Once you get your running gear replaced and the unit back on the ground it may be worth another try at pushing the slide in.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

Ok. So today I got all the new springs on. Got the trailer level and I still can't get the slide to go in. I was by myself so couldn't really push on it much but tried manually with a pretty long 1/2" drive ratchet and also tried to jar it with a cordless impact gun. Slide de looks pretty square and not racked. I'm out of ideas and I have to move it tomorrow. It has to go about 25 miles. PLEASE!!! Any ideas????
Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #11

Just wanted to say thank you to . Got our 1st camper home today. Ended up taking the shear pins off on either end of the slideout and got it to move by 2 of us using ratchets to get the slide in manually. Turns out it was the motor binding everything!!! Thanks again!!!!! Now time to clean and get it ready!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #12

Good to hear. Sounds like you are going to be doing some updating.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Thanks for the update. Those older slides don't sound like the one I am familiar with, but if you have a electro-mechanical mind you can usually figure out what needs to happen to get it to work.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote