Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

1st trip minor issues

Took our 2011 Jayco 29QBH out this weekend and loved the added room we have with the slide since our previous trailer did not have a slide. Everything with the trailer went well, but we encountered a couple minor issues and a boneheaded issue I created. The issues I need help with are:

1. Trailer has a pantry/storage above the water heater, but the cabinet gets warm inside due to the water heater below. We had some food on the bottom shelf and it got too warm. We moved the food up and put towels on the bottom shelf to try to insulate from the heat. It helped, but is not perfect. Any suggestions/ideas on how to insulate the closet better so it does not get the heat from the water heater?

2. When I drained the tanks today I found the black tank valve not closing completely. When I took the sewer hose off I could see the tank cleaner chemicals. leaking slowly. Crawled underneath and made sure the valve was all the way, but still had a small leak. Is something blocking the valve? How do I fix?

3. The bonehead issue was when I got home and went to open the slide I failed to see that the pantry door was open. As a result I pulled the slide fascia loose on top. Luckily I only pulled about 2 feet loose. I looked behind the fascia and can see where it was stapled to the slide, but I do not have the tools to restaple nor do I want to damage the fascia. Should I just use liquid nails and glue it back? Any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Do you have an air compressor? If you do, go down to your local harbor Freight and buy one of their inexpensive air nailers. They work good as long as you keep them oiled. If not, maybe talk to a neighbor and see if you can borrow from them?

Hope this helps, J
sven the elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've had good luck with liquid nails, construction grade adhesive.
I just used it to put transitions in my basement between laminate flooring and cement.

Might try a 2" thick piece of rigid foam insulation between the water tank and shelf. Pink board at Home Depot or Lowes.
I believe its R-7

May be toilet paper stuck in the valve?

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

I have experienced the tank valve problem before. I have a clear 45 deg bend fitting that I put on the outlet when I release the tanks. It has a fitting on it to connect a water hose and flush the black tank out after it has drained. I open and close the valve a few times while the flush water is running to clean the gate. The valve will allow leaking if some debris/paper holds the valve open.

X2 on the 2" insulation in the pantry. Our water heater is under our closet in the bathroom, we use the storage for towels and toiletries, so the heat from the WH doesnt' really effect us.

I have the Harbor Freight nailer/stapler. They come in handy from time to time. Liquid nails works too.

Good Luck and the next TT we have, will have a slide out.....
Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Engchase;152230
Good Luck and the next TT we have, will have a slide out.....[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack, but... We didn't notice until after the sale, our 25BHS slide covers the bathroom door when it is closed. Better go before you close the slide, or you will be doing the pee-pee dance down the road.
sven the elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

The back water probably has soe kind of "matter" in the channel keeping it from sealing properly. Like a previous poster said, use one of the 45 degree elbows that attaches to a hose to clean it out before you disconnect the sewer hose.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

Thank you to all for your suggestions. After speaking with my dealer I have decided to try an insulation called Ultra Touch with radiant barrier. It has fire resistant properties vs. the pink foam. I know I am probably being overly cautious, but since it also had the aluminum liner it seemed like the better choice. For the black tank will try flushing it out well to see if I can lodge the debris loose. As for the fascia am going to use liquid nails.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #8

Well 2 of the 3 issues are taken care of. I used liquid nails to reattach the wood fascia and it seems to be fine right now, but time will tell. As for the drain valve issue I tried cleaning it out and it never worked so I finally broke down and took the Valterra valve out and found a disposable cleaning type cloth hung up in the valve. This process was very easy and their is a great video on You Tube that shows how to take thee out. This cloth was from the previous owner so I am not sure how they ever cleaned out the black tank with it leaking. What a mess this turned out to be, but once I got it removed, reseated the seals, re attached the bolts/nuts it works great. Note to never flush a disposable cleaning cloth down the toilet. Just waiting for the insulation so I can install it above the water heater.