Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

20% off msrp

Do you guys think it is fair to ask for at least 20% the msrp of your unit?? I will be talking to my salesman tomorrow. Of course he was off for the last 2 days...I really need help with the finance part of buying stuff....one of my biggest weaknesses.....I am easily pushed over
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
Do you guys think it is fair to ask for at least 20% the msrp of your unit?? I will be talking to my salesman tomorrow. Of course he was off for the last 2 days...I really need help with the finance part of buying stuff....one of my biggest weaknesses.....I am easily pushed over
Ask for 40% off MSRP. Seriously, it is not uncommon for people, including me, to get 30% off MSRP. The salesman will likely blow a gasket, but at least he will know you are not a pushover.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Try for 30, can`t hurt. And make sure the MSRP is legit. Go to the Jayco website where you can ''build and price" the model in question with the same options. Freight will be extra. Some dealers add padding to the MSRP with things like prep fees, etc. Beware of this as well.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

I need you guys to come with me to negotiate my buying price.....I guess dealers live for people like me
2017 Jayco Jayflight 28bhbe Elite and thermal package
2014 Jayco White Hawk 28dsbh(traded in)
mesuezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Get a few online quotes to give you an idea what other dealers will do. Then you can use that to try and help with getting a better price. Or to make sure you already getting a good price.

RVDirect will email you a quote and you don't have to talk to anyone. That's how we got the ball rolling. We got quotes from a few dealers we found online and some dealers mentioned on here but I can't remember them all now.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

I'm like you, mesue. Hate to negotiate. Maturity seems to have "turned" me tho. The bride said she was just short of embarrassed when we were buying the 5er. Like the prev suggestions, angle for 30%, don't start there but work to get there. When you feel you've gotten all you can, angle for some add-ons like slide toppers, hitch or pin box upgrade, upgraded slinky (I like sewer solution), $xx credit to the parts department ( giving you $1500 in "stuff" or service might only cost them $500).
And always be ready to say "no thanks" and walk if you just can't get to where you want to be (you may get home and have a call telling you "ok", but maybe not). Don't let 'em shame or guilt you into paying more.
If you make the deal don't accept any add-ons at closing like prep, PDI, fabric coating, sealant..... It's just a way to get more of your $$$.

I apologize for the rant.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

30% is a good starting point. It also depends on which model (the humming bird is a fast seller. )
which model and which region are you purchasing from?

If the model you want is in stock and is ready to go, theres a value in that as well.

Keep us all informed and updated.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

For negotiations, start at 50% off list and be willing to wait through the sales rep visiting the sales manager 4-6 times. Increase your offer by 1/2 of the amount the dealer increases at each round.

Bring a shill to talk to the sales rep while you have time to consider their latest counter.

They will make a profit or they won't sell the unit.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #9

I just brought home my first RV yesterday, it is an entry level model so things may change with price level, but I think paying 65-70% MSRP is totally realistic, and even better deals are out there if you are patient. I will tell you that we shopped for a long time and visited a lot of dealers and watched internet prices. Take your time and if the sales rep isn't willing to play ball find another dealer.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

I got 42% off, Check RV direct for an idea on price, then talk to your dealer. Just be sure to compare apples for apples. Our friends got a price from RV direct, went to our local dealer showed them the price, they came within 1k of the RV direct price, plus threw in a few items, They got a great deal on a beautiful 5th wheel. Good luck to you!
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Wish I hadn't retired from RV sales so soon. Your my kind of customer....LOL..the margins in this stuff is incredible. The MSRP game in RVs continues to be the most protected game in any industry. 40 to 50 % of MRSP may be actual cost of the unit. Yes there is freight, dealer fees, and prep etc etc. We even marked up the freight on most units. I bought a F/W last year for myself that had MSRP of $115,000 and paid $68000. No I didn't buy it at where I retired.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
I have a general philosophy about asking for something...all they can say is "no". Take the advice others have offered about amount off and ask. If they say no tell them to come down towards what you want to pay and you come up some towards what you want to pay. Repeat until you get the price you want or walk away.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #13

My experience, for what it's worth...

I am a terrible negotiator. So when I went to buy the trailer, I simply did it all over email. This allowed me to sit and think rather than feeling pressured by a salesperson.

My method of negotiation was this: I called every dealer within about 1000 miles of my house and asked them for quotes on the exact model and options I wanted (I was assuming a custom order anyway).

They were all very happy to email me a quote within 48 hours.

The local dealer gave me a quote that was several thousand above the best quote I got. I emailed them back, told them what the low quote was, and that if they could match it, I'd buy from them, otherwise, I'd take the drive.

Local dealer hemmed and hawed (over email) for a bit, then finally came back with a quote that was within $500 of the lowest quote.

I'm sure I didn't get the best deal in history, but I think I got a better deal than I would have face to face.

The MSRP on Jayco's site for my unit is $39,536. I ended up paying $29,500 OTD. That's 25% off the MSRP.

I maybe could have done better, sounds like some on here certainly have done much better. But I feel that given the lack of emotional trauma to a guy like me who hates negotiating, perhaps it's worth a few extra bucks? The local dealer, of course, acted like I was stealing a baby from them.

In retrospect, I probably should have pressed the lower priced dealers for better prices before approaching the local dealer. But I think I did alright.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #14

I think what helped my price was that I selected a floor model, not a custom order. In fact I purchased the Prototype of the 35UN, My paperwork and the outside of my coach states 36UN. I have a different floor then any other Precept I have seen in person or online, My cabinets are slightly darker. It appears that mine is the only one with these differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Duo.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #15

Certainly doesn't hurt to negotiate for one in their current inventory versus a custom order. I was targeting 30% off based on research and a quote from rv direct. Ended up getting the local dealer to about 28% off, then had them throw in a free equalizer hitch. They made money, I didn't pay near Msrp, and everyone walked away happy.

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #16

A question I haven't seen asked. Appears by signature line the OP owns a trailer. Is it paid for? Is the OP going to trade in that trailer? Does this not have an impact on the out the door price of any deal if the trade is paid off by the dealer? Just seems like speculation without knowing all the particulars of the deal. I don't want my pocket looted any more than anyone else, but I realistically understand if a dealer pays a balance on an unpaid trade in (or over allows if the buyer is upside down), that has an impact on negotiating leverage. RV dealers are businesses, not charities.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

I second the issue with thomasmnile above. The minute you tell them you have a trade, you are NOT going to get the best you can.
Ex, I asked what the cash price of a unit I wanted. Was quoted 32K discounted to 22K, tax, prep, misc fees, 24,500. Then I told him I had a trade, say value of 4,000, suddenly the deal became 32K, discount of 6K and a trade value of 4K, tax, prep, misc fees, came to 24,400.00. The deal with the trade was within 100.00 of the cash only deal. I called the sales manager and told him to stop insulting me by trying to take my trailer and only give me 100.00 for it. Then they said it was old and would probably wholesale for only 1,000. Then I told him that is worse, you didn't even give me the 1000! They were still ripping me off.

For me, I used e-mail to get the best CASH price, let them know that I am asking other dealers for quotes and will compare. From that I take the best and let the best 3 try once more to beat the others. As long as I like the best deal and the dealer, I only give other dealers a chance to BEAT it and only 1 chance. Then I drop the bomb on them about the trade and however better the deal is under the cash is basically the amount they are "really" giving me for the trade.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote