Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #1

2003 Jay Flight 27Bh

Hi -

How closely do 'real' sale prices track with NADA retail value reports? I ask because I got a call from Triangle RV today. They just took in on trade a 2003 27BH. Of course it's in "superb" shape. (um...right!). Asking $7900. NADA price guide says $4740 for average condition retail value.

This same dealer, btw, quoted me $900 for a WD hitch, installed (no mention of brand/model) and $500 "prep fee" on a brand new 26BH. Those seemed kinda high to me. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Bruce
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

Sounds like the salesman really wants to make his/her car payment this month! I can say that we owned a tt which did hold it's value *well* .... Casita. It was 5 yrs old when we sold it but were able to get $4000 more than it was worth... only because there was a used market for that particular lightweight fiberglass tt. The Casita Forum has quite a following of Casita Owners! Have you been checking the papers and Craigslist for opportunities?

The WDH usually isn't something that is haggled over. Unless that wdh for that particular model tt is gold coated... I'm betting it's overpriced. Check with some local independent shops that sell hitches also.

Happy shopping Bruce. Hope you can find what you want for a fair price
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

I went and checked it out today. I'd say its in ok to good shape, but not great. Maybe my expectations are too high, though.

I'll make an offer tomorrow and see what they say.

B
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

No, your expectations may not be too high...

.. if they are trying to sell you a 7 year old Jay Flight, and it turns out to need the bearings repacked, new tires, caulking/seals could need to be replaced, refridgerator may be ready to give up, awning may stick or is worn, etc etc.... and they want $3000 more than NADA avg, that trailer could wind up costing you a lot more over the next year if it has really seen more use than anyone really knows.

Go online and find a checklist to take with you. Try to anticipate the things that look "tired" or that you know for sure will need replacement soon. Figure the cost of what you will need to put into the tt once you take it home. It may be that you shouldn't pay more than the NADA quote.

Google "check list" + "used rv" for detailed lists you can take with you when checking out any used rv.

Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

In December I traded my 2003 27BH to RV Direct for $4500.00. It was in very good condition. All maintenance done, I purchased it the year before and planned on keeping it for several more years. Once I got a bigger TV I wanted a bigger TT. I had advertised my TT for sale for a couple months. I set the price after looking at NADA, seeing what others were asking on Ebay and Craigslist and looking at other similar models on dealer lots. I was asking $6000.00, but settled for less because I was getting a great price on the new TT.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote