Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

2003 Jayce Eagle

Good Morning, We are new to RVing. This has been quite the experience for us. Thought it would be a simple answer to what we were wanting to do....We purchased the rv used from a dealer, seemed to be in very good condition, as looks can tell. We have had several issues and seem to be resolving them, thanks to the internet and downloading user manuals... We are leaving the RV in a mobile home park in northeastern KY for the winter and heading back home to Florida when all issues are resolved. We did discover a leak in the slide out, thanks to my husband, we think the leak is resolved. Question is, after winterizing the RV and pulling the slide out in,does anyone have any suggestions for leaving anything in the RV to help control odor while it will be closed up for approximately 5 months? I,m worried that we will have a musty smell from being closed up. Also, what about mice or other insects getting in? Sure would hate to come back to a yucky smell and things eaten on. Any suggestions on winterizing and closing up would be greatly appreciated.
Bonieta Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Always leave the fridge and freezer doors all the way open to prevent mold. Some people are putting Damp Rid in the campers to help with moisture. If you have any gaps where you think mice can get in, I always put steel wool packed tightly in any holes and the slows them down from getting in. Mostly watch around where your power cord goes in. This what works for me.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #3

Thanks doe the suggestions. I have also read that if you put Bounce dryer sheets around, they help to deter mice. Will try that also. About the steel wool, the husband feels that it will rust and run down the RV, so he has bought the stainless pot scrubbers to poke in all holes. Will know if they work or not when we get back, lol Thanks again and happy camping.
Bonieta Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonieta Joyce View Post
Thanks doe the suggestions. I have also read that if you put Bounce dryer sheets around, they help to deter mice. Will try that also. About the steel wool, the husband feels that it will rust and run down the RV, so he has bought the stainless pot scrubbers to poke in all holes. Will know if they work or not when we get back, lol Thanks again and happy camping.
Bounce dryer sheets are an old wives tale.. last winter my buddy put bounce sheets all over his camper.. the mice used it as TP.
Crack your roof vents the tiniest bit 1/16 inch to let some air flow ..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #5

Bounce sheets are to deter bees and wasps. I have never heard of it for mice.
Have a great winter and good luck.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

I also go to the dollar tree and purchase a product similar to damp rid, only a lot cheaper, air freshners are also placed in every room. it will probably still smell a little musty, but what I do does help. I had an uncle who owned a fly in cabin in Canada, he use to spread moth balls around before we left. he said it was for spiders and bugs. i still remember that smell when we went in the late spring every year.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

We use a product called ABSORBAG, which is a disposable plastic bag with a perforated upper compartment containing calcium chloride, and a lower compartment to collect water absorbed by the calcium chloride. Got it at our local camper store. Works really well - last winter we hung one of these in our 33 foot 5er, and it collected about 1 1/2 pints of water over the winter. In the spring there was no mold or mildew anywhere, and no musty smell either. Don't remember the cost, but it didn't seem expensive at the time.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote