Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

2010 29BHS G2 purchase?

I've got a chance to buy a new 2010 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS for $15K, about $16.3K after taxes and fees. From what I've seen this is a good deal and was hoping for some feedback in this forum.
We were looking at Jayco's brothers Starcraft 278BH but we like the layout of the 29BHS better. We could get the 278BH for $13.4K after taxes and fees.
troy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #2

Sometimes, picking a trailer isn't always what we (the individual) wants. Sometimes, other factors come into play as well. Before buying, here's a few things to consider:

- What can your Tow Vehicle comfortably pull? If planning on lots of hill pulling, city street pulling, then a smaller size trailer would be better. If lots of hill climbing, then a lighter weight trailer is better. For a comfortable pull, try to remain between 80%-90% of the Tow Vehicle "max" pulling power. And remember to use "average loaded" trailer weight - not the dry weight - that many sales-reps love promoting.

- What are you "comfortable" with? Some folks are OK pulling a long TT. Other folks feel more comfortable pulling a 5er. A 5er is easier to pull because its pivot point is over its rear axle. Thus, makes steering and backing up easier. Some folks love TTs because with TTs, they can still fill their Tow Vehicle's rear cargo box. re: Light weight peddle bikes and firewood type stuff.

- What does your spouse want? Sometimes, allowing the spouse to be happy means you are happy in the long run. How's that go??? Oh ya. "happy wife - happy life". Seriously... If she likes one specific trailer over others (due to variety of valid reasons), do focus on it. Happy wife while camping is a high priority as well...

- Focus on layout. My wife & I looked for many different trailers. To upgrade from our small 19ft TT. In the end, we went with the 29FBS model. FBS because it has a little washroom but its tub is across the haul. If wondering, we have a disabled child and we much bath him. To use the tub on the FBS design, the caregiver strands / sits in the hallway (with our kid in the tub / shower). In other bathroom designs, the caregiver is helping and their face is near inches from the toilet. Talk about a "turn off". For our family (and helping our disabled child), the FBS washroom design was the linch pin for both of us. re: Had to only buy the FBS floor design.

- Do think of long term usage as well. Next time around, I might give more attention to picking Toy Haulers. re: Living space in one area and large cargo space in a different area. Being at a seasonal camp site, the open concept of a Toy Hauler would would endless different combinations of sofas, my own bunk beds, sofa chairs, etc. etc. When our son is forced into a wheel chair, I'm sure the Toy Hauler can be easily converted into wheel chair friendly environment. Especially with its larger doors. In the long term, a Toy Hauler will be our next replacement.

Hope these various considerations help in your research....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

i have that exact camper....one,..thing i would do diff,is get one w/the larger slide out...not sure of what u'd have to go to,..but...i'd do it....pd 20 for mine 'on-sale'...and they would'nt come dn one penny..
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Contact RVDirect for a price on the Jayco and Starcraft. Once they give you a price you will then know if your dealer can go lower. RVDirect beat my best deal by $3000.00 and gave me some additional features.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 to tow with and I currently own a 26' 2003 Coachman and the missus and I like the layout of the 28BHS, trust me, much research has been done on our end about our likes and dislikes of trailer layouts.
We dont care much for the 5er's, losing cargo space to the hookup and the usually short ceiling height in the master bedrooms turned us off on those.
I was just wanting to get some opinions on the $16.3K OTD price on a new 2010 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS, which seems like a good deal to me but I just hate the thought of going in debt. I think the couch slide would be sufficient for us, wife, 7 year old and I. If a couple people want to drop in they can sit on the sofa and chat with us at the dinette table, while we enjoy the view out the dinette window. The only thing we dont like is no large wardrobe closet for long dresses and the sink is not in the bathroom, other than that we love the layout.
My one concern is the walk around queen bed, is it a true walk around for a couple of average size? or will we end up crawling over the bed to use the bath in the middle of the night disturbing our partner? I do like those trailers with the dual entrance into the master bedroom.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #6

I have seen the layout of the 25BHS, which seems nice, but we want the dinette table to be on the same side as the awning because we always park with the best view being on the side of the awning. Our current Coachman has the dinette on the opposite side of the awning and I hate that we cant have a nice view while sitting there.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #7

$16,300 is a great price, we just paid $19,100 for the 2010 G2 29BHS out the door!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

My first 2 TT's had the sink outside the bathroom and we liked the idea that one kid could brush their teeth, etc, while someone else used the bathroom. Our new TT has the sink in the bathroom and we sometimes miss the previos layout.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy76 View Post
I've got a chance to buy a new 2010 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29BHS for $15K, about $16.3K after taxes and fees. From what I've seen this is a good deal and was hoping for some feedback in this forum.
We were looking at Jayco's brothers Starcraft 278BH but we like the layout of the 29BHS better. We could get the 278BH for $13.4K after taxes and fees.
I guess it depends on your options... we ordered ours with most of the options (took RVDirect quote to local dealer who honored that price)..

Our 29 Jay Flight G2 with options ordered cost $16,900 (before California Taxes)...
-Customer Value Pkg
-15k BTU a/c upgrade
-Linoleum in living area (no carpet)
-Satellite Kit
-Insulated/heated underbelly
-Spare tire/carrier/cover
-Front Diamond Plate
-Roof Ladder
-Xtra battery installed

[We did not get the Maxi-door; Water Purifier; Foil Insulation Pkg; or outside grill. No delivery charge; we picked tt up in Middleton, In].

We purchased our 2010 in Summer 2009 with delivery in Sept. 2009. So for last years model, depending on the options, you probably did well. Do you know how to figure how much % off of MSRP you are getting with that specific tt w/options? If you got anywhere around 30% off (before taxes), you can assure yourself you did well. Hope this helps
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Team

That is a good price, probably because it is a 2010 leftover they must move out. In fact, the 2012`s will be out in just a few short months, May or June. That is a very popular floorplan, and the trailer is not super huge or heavy. Our 28BHS was 14,800 with every option you could order on the standard Jayflight at that time. The G2 would have been about 2,000 more. Good luck, Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Site Team

quote- "my one concern is the walk around queen bed"

No need to be concerned, you can walk around the bed to get out of the bedroom in the middle of the night, without climbing over the bed. This was a must for us when considering this TT. Our previous TT had the bed in the front sideways, so I had to climb over DW to get out of bed for those late night bathroom runs. Then climb back over her to get in. No good. So when we went trailer shopping a walk around bed was one of the must haves for us.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy76 View Post
I think the couch slide would be sufficient for us, wife, 7 year old and I. If a couple people want to drop in they can sit on the sofa and chat with us at the dinette table, while we enjoy the view out the dinette window. The only thing we dont like is no large wardrobe closet for long dresses and the sink is not in the bathroom, other than that we love the layout.
My one concern is the walk around queen bed, is it a true walk around for a couple of average size? or will we end up crawling over the bed to use the bath in the middle of the night disturbing our partner? I do like those trailers with the dual entrance into the master bedroom.
You haven't physically walked through the 29bhs?

Bedroom... there is no *real* hanging closet but conversely there is lotsa storage for a couple weeks worth of clothes in the overhead cabinet or above in the cabinet above the "end table". Next to each side of the bed there is an electric outlet and 'end table'/platform for cell phones, alarm clocks, flashlights, etc. There isn't a lot of room to go around the bed, but with me being lighter weight, I use the side of the bed on the street side so I can get around the end of the bed to get out of the room easier then my 250lb hubby... he fits, it's just easier for my smaller frame to go around the foot of the bed...

Dinette... Only 4 people can sit at that table! And(!) only if two on one side are no bigger than 6' or 200lbs! We have had three grandkids, me, and Papa eating and campin'. Papa usually sits on couch and the older grandkids and myself will sit at the table (One yr old baby hasn't camped yet!).

Ya know, I'm thinkin' we should do a "true-to-life" Youtube video of the 28 bhs/29 G2 bhs! LOL
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #13

We walked thru the Starcraft version, but we physically did not go around the bed.
As far as closet space goes, we were thinking of removing the upper bunk and putting a short rod across the end of the bunk, towards the back wall, for more closet space.
The deal that I have found sounds very good and from the feedback I've seen confirms it. We plan on physically seeing the actual camper this Friday, if I can get off work. I am 95% sure we are going to get it, I just hate payments though.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #14

Got this from another post:
Quote:
.. besides the flat pitched electric awning, that's really the only thing I don't like.
The Jayco G2 29BHS has a flat pitch awning?? no way of angling it, left right or down? what happens in a downpour? What about anchoring the awning to the ground using an awning hold down strap kit?
I always angle our awning on our current Coachman and we had a major downpour camping last year, water just flowed off nicely to one side and the hold down kit kept the awning from flying off or getting damaged in the strong winds.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Site Team

The 28 BHS has a manual awning, so I can angle it to desired pitch. Perhaps Healthi will chime and and let us know how she handles the rain with the electric awning. I know that some models have a rain dump feature, where they sense the weight of the water and adjust to dump the water. Don`t know if Jayco has anything like that or not.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

I posted the below in the other thread....

The 2010 g2 model had the flat pitched (not sure 'bout the '11).

NO way of angling it. That year model did come with an "auto dump" feature for when it rains.

Can't have it out even with a slight breeze. As for using a tie-down, we would use that if we could but it's too high up to get the strap up there, so we haven't used one.

No shading because it can't be adjusted, so we got one of those vinyl-coated polyester mesh Patty O'Shade (that slide into the awning slot when awning is extended) that hangs from the awning. It provides shade nicely.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #17

As long as we are talking about awnings I have a question. We have the electric flat awning with the auto dump feature. I have a sun screen that will slide into an awning roller. Can I roll the awning up with this screen still attached? It looks to be a PIA to slide the screen on and I don't want to have to remove it to put the awning up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
As long as we are talking about awnings I have a question. We have the electric flat awning with the auto dump feature. I have a sun screen that will slide into an awning roller. Can I roll the awning up with this screen still attached? It looks to be a PIA to slide the screen on and I don't want to have to remove it to put the awning up.
YES!!!! That was one of things I verified with the owner of the dealership. We were really struggling with having Jayco just keep the awning off and having our dealer install the manual ($$$ kept us from doing that). But he confirmed that we could keep the sun screen attached permanently. We have used the awning probably 40x already and no probs with that screen
Old 03-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #19

Thanks Healthi, that is really good news for us. We could really use that sun screen the next few weeks.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #20

Hmmmm, we always leave our awning out with a slight tilt to it on our current Coachman, staked to the ground with a hold down kit while we are camping. We store bikes, chairs, outside stove, etc under it and when it rains everything stays relatively dry.
Does the 2010 Jayco Jay Flight G2 29bhs have the auto dump feature and how does it work? I thought having the power awning would be good, but if I have to retract it when a storm comes up soaking everything under it and every time I leave the trailer in fear of a sudden gust of wind ripping it off, kinda makes me want to stay away from a power awning.