Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #61

I dont think you will ever be a happy camper pulling that much trailer with your Yukon SUV truck... Towing a RV trailer is suppose to be fun thing... They way I look at it if you half to ask then it is probably too much weight...

I am going to stick with a 1/2-ton vehicle is going to be maxed out at 7500lbs total weight and would really be happy just towing something that weighs 5500lbs.

Just because the dealership can move around all those "big guys" in his trailer lot with a Sears LT1000 lawn Mower won't help you much out on the open road. In my trips it wasnt always can I drag this heavy load up the 10-mile grade hill but the white knuckle trip coming down the other side. trailer wins every time... Then you are traveling down US82 in eastern Arkansas on the two lane road and see this hugh tractor trailer loaded down with logs as high as you can see coming at you at 70MPH. Guess who wins that battle... I have to ask myself will my wife, kids, and my dogs be safe in this effort.

I see the big MONTANA TRAILERS ocassionally being towed by a little truck but not me... I saw on here just last month a photo of a Volkswagon Car with a fifth wheel hitch mounted on its roof pulling a fifth wheel. Its big thing was 360 degree turning under the trailer...

This is all just my humble opinion... I am too old for anymore white knuckle trips... get a bigger truck my friend....
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Kirk,

Once you start to tackle the CAT scale and adjusting your Reese WD/DC, you may want to start a new thread over at the "Towing and Tow Vehicle" section of this Forum if you want some additional eyes working with you. Pics of your TV/TT WDH will be helpful as well.

There are also a couple of informative "STICKY's" at the top of the Towing and Tow Vehicle section that may be a good reference.

Bob

Thanks for the advice Bob. I planned on doing just that, and i have discovered the sticky's here as well as the one's over at RV.net.

Thanks again.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #63

My wife and I bought the 2012 32BHDS the end of July. We LOVE it. We have two kids and the rear bedroom is awesome. It is nice that we do not have to convert a dinette or sofa so they can go to bed. The outdoor kitchen gets tons of compliments everywhere we go, even from the big Class A crowd!

From the factory, Jayco claimed she weighed 8200 dry. I bet we are at or near 9000 when towing. I need to get it weighed to be sure.

I pull it with a 2001 Excursion 4X4 with V10. The Ex has 4.56 gears, Firestone air bags, cat back exhaust, cold air intake, and performance tune. It pulls great, but knows the trailer is back there.

I CANNOT imagine pulling this trailer with a half ton vehicle. The wheelbase and softer suspension has got to make it a little less than stable for my liking.

Good luck.
joe_n_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_n_az View Post
From the factory, Jayco claimed she weighed 8200 dry. I bet we are at or near 9000 when towing. I need to get it weighed to be sure.

I CANNOT imagine pulling this trailer with a half ton vehicle. The wheelbase and softer suspension has got to make it a little less than stable for my liking.

Good luck.
I agree! Don seconds it! We have the 1/2 ton that can tow 10K+, but our experience pulling a 30' 6900lb is that there is no way we would pull your tt! We already suffer cargo capacity because of the 1000lb tongue weight, and simply bogging down on the grades. I would love to have the 32bhds but would never do it if we didn't upgrade to a 3/4. Good thing we like our 29bhs as there's no chance we are going to upgrade anytime soon
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote