Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
Wow. more fantastic information. This is great.

i think i agree with you on all fronts. I'll hook up the 212 when i get to the dealer but i think the 19 is gonna be it.

Generally speaking, how much does the normal TT cargo weights go when camping beyond the Dry Weight? I am thinking: clothes, dishes, cookware, TV, some tools, camp chairs, food and of course beer. How heavy could that stuff really be?

Just trying to gauge how far past 4250 i would go in a normal Travel Trailer camping situation. A tough question i know.

shane.kelly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #12
Typical weight added for a family is 1000lbs. Without kids and packing lightly you will probably load around 600lbs.....

That is just a wild arse guess though.

You should look into the Anderson weight distribution hitch as well. It is more compact and lighter than the other WDH out there and "should" work well for a short wheelbase vehicle and smallish trailer.

2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Solar powered! The trailer not the truck!
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Not that hard, I have those numbers from a couple of passes at the CAT scale. Our load is about 950-1200 lbs over the dry weight; but we do have a fairly "rich" camping kit. Major items we carry:
External BBQ
External Stove
4 Camp chairs
2 aluminum camp tables (1 lg, 1 sm)
Kayak gear (but kayaks themselves count on the TV not the TT)
Tool kit (20 lbs approx.)
2" hitch carrier bracket and bicycles
Cooking gear
Food (full fridge usually, including beer and wine)
Power cords, water and waste hoses, propane hoses, fire utensils (4 bins in the external storage)
2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
Originally Posted by shane.kelly55 View Post
Hey Gang,

Total noob here but during the Dallas RV show this weekend i put a deposit down on a 212QBW. I am towing using a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 gasser with a towing capacity of 6200 lbs.

The Trailer comes in at 4250 dry and i'll be adding some stuff to her like camping supplies, clothes etc. I figure that would add another 250 lbs. Of course there will be the batteries, propane and water. Throw in another 400 for that....snip...
I am in the process of upgrading the tow from a 3.8L V6 Toyota Tacoma. My 19RD is in the same weight class as your 212QBW. The Taco was capable of pulling, but required a WDH to make the rig controllable.

So, I would suggest either a smaller trailer or a bigger tow. You'll be able to keep things within safe limits. But always looking for a bit more engine on the steep hills, a bit more stability when a tandem truck passes....
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
I think you would really be maxing the JGC totally out and would end up needing to upgrade to a bigger TV. That said, I would probably go ahead and try it if you could consider moving up to a bigger TV in the near future - my reasoning is that I would not want a single axle trailer. In my opinion, the towing difference between single and tandem is so great, that I would never own a single axle trailer.

We started with a V8 Tahoe with our 26BH (about 250# heavier and 75# tongue weight more than you are looking at). I was not happy with it because of the short wheelbase and 4 speed trans, but made due for a year until I was able to upgrade to a crew cab with a 6 speed. Something to think about...

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote