Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

2013 Jayco 22FB refrgerator and furnace question

Picked up our new 2013 Jayco 22FB in April and have one trip to Lancaster, PA under our belt. Very happy except for one issue. At the walk thru my wife recalls that the furnace operated properly. However, when checking everything again at home it did not operate. I turned the thermostat to heat, raised the temperature and after approx 1-2 minutes the it did not ignite and the fan shut off. Called the dealer and over the phone gave me the same directions and also to go outside to the vent and tap on it to dislodge some flap. It not work. At the exhaust , I smelled a faint odor of the propane and would hear a click every 10-12 seconds. Also I was told to look for a valve but the furnace is under the sofa in a wooden box and did not see anything. Also checked out the propane line and did not see a valve. The next step is to bring it back in for repair. This will wait to the end of the summer. Any ideas I could do myslelf.

Also, does the refrigerator run on battery also. At the walk thru I thought they said propane an electric. However I turned it on (not propane) without the shore cord plugged in and the light came on.

Leaving on Monday for a week on the Delaware River and than to Acadia Natl Park in Maine mid July.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Can't help with furnace

Fridge is propane & 12VDC or 120VAC. With out shore power you will need Propane and a battery for the fridge to operate.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

When you lit the furnace did you first light the stove? If not you may have had an air bubble in the gas lines, and this kept the furnace from being able to light properly.

What I do is first open the propane tank valve slowly, then light the stove, I let the stove burn for 20-30 seconds to flush most of the air out of the line. After that I will light the water heater, furnace, frig, as needed. There may still be some air in the lines, so it may take a few minutes to get a good ignition.

Also if you are running on battery the furnace does not run good on a low battery. Also the furnace fan consumes a lot of power so you may only get 12 hours of run time on an OEM battery.

On more furnace tip; buy a small 1500 Watt electric heater. When you are at a campground with electric just plug it in and you have “free” heat, instead of using your propane, it really sucks when you run out in the middle of the night.

As for the Frig. It operates on 110V AC (shore power) or propane. When operating on propane the control system uses 12V DC (battery) power to operate the system. If I recall correctly when your switch is set to “Auto”, the computer will first try to run on 110V AC power (green light), if it does not find AC power it will automatically switch to gas. Until the computer has a confirmed flame the LED will flash an orange/yellow color. Once you have a confirmed flame, then the LED switches to a solid orange/yellow color.

One more OT (off topic) thing. If your electric water heater element does not appear to work, check your circuit breaker panel. It is very common, for people to turn off the breaker when not using the water heater. Our dealer did it to us, and I do it! This is cheap insurance to ensure that the water heater is not accidently turned on when there is no water in the tank. If you turn on the element with no water in the tank you will burn out the heating element. I have had the issue also when I wanted hot water there was none because someone forgot to turn on the circuit breaker.

Best of times you your new TT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

You might check for a Jayco dealer on your route during you upcoming trip. You might be able to stop in and have someone check it out on the fly. I would not want to fiddle with stuff on the furnace. Its likely a simple fix or something that's not set right.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote