Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

2013 jayflight, shower leak

Anyone had problems with their shower leaking? Looks like mine leaks where the shower wall meets the tub. The water hits the wall, runs down and hits the tub ledge. I believe there are several small openings the water runs to and leaks under the tub. First time I realized there was a leak was after several people took showers consecutively, water began seeping out where the wall meets the floor to the right of the refrig. I pulled off the access cover for the tub/shower lines and shined my flashlight in to reaveal water standing but no visible leaks in plumbing so I decided to test. Turned the shower on and slowly but surely water dripped from the ledge of the tub.

I want to try sealing up the shower and was thinking silicone sealant. Anyone ever tried this? Open for suggestion, thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Yeah, this seems to happen a lot with stock showers. The good news is you can fix it really easily and cheap. I purchased a set of corner splash guards for about 5 or 6 dollars, and a tube of clear caulking. First, seal up the gap between the bottom tub part and the plastic shower surround, but only for about 2 inches at the opening of the shower, if that makes sense. Basically don't run the caulking around the whole way, just on the corners. Make sure it gets right up inside the gap and fully seals it.

Next, install the shower corner guards, and then run some sealant around those for good measure. I also sprayed down my shower curtain with some silicone sealant spray made for tents, because I found water was actually leaking through the material.

Some guys have also added a length of PVC quarter round to the lip of the bathtub to prevent spill over. It somewhat depends on the orientation of the shower in your unit as to where the water will tend to flow towards. Some people will intentionally slope their trailer in the appropriate direction, but I'm too particular about being level to fix it with that method.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.

Do you remember the exact model of splash guards you bought?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

They are made by Plumb Shop, and I bought them at the local Canadian Tire and also have seen them at Home Depot.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

do you have a shower curtain, or glass slider enclosure? I have to ''fix'' just about every enclosure that we get in new from the factory.
diamond dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #6

Curtain. Though, we've taken the factory curtain off and put one my wife liked on it with a curtain rod.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #7

The quarter round fix worked great in my 2013 Eagle 314 BDS. I tried the keeping the front of the trailer a bit lower. Then the trailer settle side to side with the weight of the slides. Do yourself a favor use the quarter round and fix it. Its PVC and you can find it to match the shower color. It looks factory when done.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
The quarter round fix worked great in my 2013 Eagle 314 BDS. I tried the keeping the front of the trailer a bit lower. Then the trailer settle side to side with the weight of the slides. Do yourself a favor use the quarter round and fix it. Its PVC and you can find it to match the shower color. It looks factory when done.
Anyone have any pics? I'm trying to visualize it but can't.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike585 View Post
water began seeping out where the wall meets the floor to the right of the refrig.
bigmike,
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but from your quote above, it sounds like you are saying the water is leaking "outside" the bathroom and into the main kitchen/living room area (i.e. the water is traveling "under" the shared kitchen/bathroom wall into the main living area by the refrigerator??) If so, I'm not sure the "quarter-round" mod others are talking about will fix this issue - my understanding is the 1/4 round mod is mainly for ensuring water does not drain over the top of the tub ledge "inside" the bathroom. If I read your quote wrong, I apologize.

Please let us know your outcome, as I too have had water leak by the fridge out in the main kitchen area.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbreeves View Post
bigmike,
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but from your quote above, it sounds like you are saying the water is leaking "outside" the bathroom and into the main kitchen/living room area (i.e. the water is traveling "under" the shared kitchen/bathroom wall into the main living area by the refrigerator??) If so, I'm not sure the "quarter-round" mod others are talking about will fix this issue - my understanding is the 1/4 round mod is mainly for ensuring water does not drain over the top of the tub ledge "inside" the bathroom. If I read your quote wrong, I apologize.

Please let us know your outcome, as I too have had water leak by the fridge out in the main kitchen area.
That's correct. I first noticed the leak because water began seeping out from under the wall to the right of the refrigerator. On the 32tsbh, there is an access panel you can remove to access the tub/shower drain located outside the bathroom on the wall, as well as a small one inside the bathroom. So I pulled the "outside the bathroom" access panel while someone else was in the shower and could see water slowly dripping from up by the tub ledge on the left (toward refrigerator). It appears its just seeping through holes in the lip of the tub (shower wall paneling lays over this lip).

Sorry if I sound brief, I'm typing on my phone.

But I added a bead of clear silicone along the seam, so well see how it goes.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike585 View Post
But I added a bead of clear silicone along the seam, so well see how it goes.
BigMike,
I have a very similar floorplan to yours and have the same access panel on the outside of the bathroom wall - how on earth did you get a caulk gun up inside there to seal the top ledge of the tub on the left wall (there's barely enough room to tighten the pex lines to the faucet!!!). Please post pics if you can get them, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Honda EU3000is
DW, DD x 2 (10 y/o twins), DS x 2 (8 & 6 y/o), and "Oscar" the Weiner Dog
rtbreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #12

Ya there'd be no way to caulk it from the underside. I ran a clear bead on inside of the tub. You can see it but it doesn't look bad. I'll try and take some pics and post em so you can see what I'm talking about.