Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #1

2015 28bhbe

We're in the market to trade in our Feather Lite hybrid for a 2015 28BHBE. We're towing our current rig with a F-150 V6 Ecoboost 3.31, and I want to be certain it'll be enough truck to pull. Unloaded trailer weight is around 6100 lbs and the truck is rated for 9400 towing capacity. Any thoughts?

We looked at the trailer at our local dealership, but it doesn't have the options we want, so we're thinking about custom ordering. According to Jayco, they will start rolling out 2016 models starting May 8th, however our dealership knows nothing about that. Is anyone else holding off until the 2016 models are out? I'm curious to see the pricing and options.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

The 28BHBE is a beautiful unit. As you can see in my sig i have a 2015 model (born Aug 2,2014). Yellow sticker as delivered with full propane tanks was 7189lbs. Loaded for first camping trip we tipped the scales at 8800lbs. 1200lbs of that was tongue weight. We did have full capacity in our fresh water tanks. It was a beautiful week of boondocking in Wells Gray Provincial Park in BC in September. You may run out of payload.
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceOnFire View Post
We're in the market to trade in our Feather Lite hybrid for a 2015 28BHBE. We're towing our current rig with a F-150 V6 Ecoboost 3.31, and I want to be certain it'll be enough truck to pull. Unloaded trailer weight is around 6100 lbs and the truck is rated for 9400 towing capacity. Any thoughts?

We looked at the trailer at our local dealership, but it doesn't have the options we want, so we're thinking about custom ordering. According to Jayco, they will start rolling out 2016 models starting May 8th, however our dealership knows nothing about that. Is anyone else holding off until the 2016 models are out? I'm curious to see the pricing and options.
I have the same truck as you only it has the Max Tow package with 3.73. My wife and I looked at this same trailer before we ordered our 23MBH. In addition my buddy has the same floorplan in the Dutchmen line. He tows it with an F250 7.3 diesel and his truck struggles in the mountains. Since you don't have the max tow package the tongue weight alone will max out your payload which will leave with you no factor for occupants or anything in the bed. I personally think it is too much trailer for your truck but that's simply my opinion. Good luck in your search!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

We looked at the same model when we had a '14 Silverado 1500 with a little better towing specs than yours. After running the numbers and talking to others with the same trailer I arrived at it being more trailer than I was comfortable with for a 1/2 ton. Of course there are some doing it but I'm not interested in being that close to the max. We ended up moving to a 3/4 ton and then up in trailer since we had the capacity.

There is a big difference in the weights Jayco advertises and what typically shows up on the yellow sticker.

I'd vote new TV or smaller TT.
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

You don't mention whether it is the Jayflight or Eagle 28BHBE. We have the 2015 Eagle and delivered with bike rack and few other options weighs in at just under 7300 lbs according to yellow sticker whereas the posted weight was 6700lbs. I pull it with a 2010 5.4 with Maxtow. The tow capacity is supposed to be 11,100lbs and I am nowhere near that. The Maxtow package adds about 300 lbs of payload and I am closer than I would like to be on payload. I do not carry full water tanks (full freshwater adds 800lbs of trailer weight and at least 100lbs of tongue weight). The 5.4 has to work pretty hard through mountains of NY, NH, VT and Maine but is able to maintain speed limit but the Eco would be better to have in the mountains.

Payload will be your limiting factor and your payload will probably be around 1400 lbs depending on the options on your truck. You definitely won't be able to take everything you want camping.

The 2015 F150's have an auxiliary oil cooler as well as additional radiator capacity and 3.73 gears in the HD Payload with Maxtow package which is required for the advertised 12,000lb towing capacity, which are likely not included on your F150.

You might be close on the rated capacities, but I think towing the 28BHBE a lot through the mountains would be a real chore with your F150 IMHO.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

I very much agree with Ottawasteve, I bought the 29qbs figured judging by the spec sheet weights I'd be fine with a 1500. Long story short I'm now truck shopping.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

We have that camper and tow it with a Toyota Tundra. We have full tow package with tow rating of 10,500. Yellow sticker on out unit is 6700. We don't tow with full tanks and need to hit the scale but I'm betting we are right about 8000. I know we are either right at payload or slightly over and the tundra specs are higher than what you are towing with. So far the Tundra tows it well and hasn't show any signs of strain but we have not tried real mountains just some very hilly area's with steep inclines. I hit the Tundra forums and looked at what people with our truck were towing and suggestions to beef up the tundra a bit to handle it all. Maybe you should do that for your truck and see what people with your truck say.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

I just picked up my 28bhbe today and it towed fine with my 2014 GMC 1500 it has the 5.3 and 342 gears. I live in summit NY in the catskill mountain range and have a 5 mile up hill to my home. The truck worked hard to get up that hill but still pulled it at 55mph and the trans temp hit a max of 218 the only thing that I may do is add helper springs to the rear I had very slight porpoising not enough to have to add the extra support but I will feel better with it. I got the equalizer weight distribution system and it worked very well the trailer pulled great. my yellow sticker is 6780 this is the metal sided version with the polar package and elite package.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #9

We experience some porpoising only on one specific freeway and not anywhere else so pay attention and see if it could be the road conditions doing it.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

We were in the same spot you were two years ago. The salesman was very helpful when he said, if you're planning on driving an hour to most of your campsites, we'd be ok with the 28 BHBE. But if you're wanting to travel more, then go with the 28DSBH Whitehawk, it's lighter and pulls a little easier. We went with his suggestion and bought the Whitehawk and I'm glad we did. Last summer we went to the Black Hills and our truck did GREAT with the inclines and we didn't have any problems with the load. Good luck in your shopping, hard decision
Old 05-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

I am an avid EcoBoost enthusiast and very knowledgeable on the F150. I would strongly advise against pulling the 28BHBE with your truck. My personal opinion is that the 28BHBE belongs behind a 3/4 ton or better and not a half ton. The fact that your truck is not a Max Tow or Heavy Duty Payload package guarantees you are outside of at least one of several limits, and the 3.31 gears will not do you any favours either. Consider some of the slightly smaller trailers that weigh in at under 6,000lb empty and you should be fine.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #12

Summit if you are looking to help out your rear suspension you should check out stable loads by torklift. I added them last week and took my trailer out for the weekend and they made one heck of a difference! The part I like most about them is that when you are not under load you can go back to factory and not comprimise your ride.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #13

I tow a 2015 28BHBE with a 2015 Sierra 5.3 CC (base) with the 3.42 rear end. Once I got my weight distribution hitch setup properly I do not have any issues towing it. My payload is about 1850lb which gets knocked down at least 500lb with driver and passenger.

I definitely think a 2500 would be a better fit for the trailer if you want to drive regular highway speeds, I keep it at 60mph max to avoid trailer sway and ride comfort.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #14

What are your scaled weights for your TV/TT combination, Motorbreath? I am just curious as I tow our 2015 28BHBE with a Silverado 3500HD. Tongue weight is usually around 1200lbs when headed out for a week to 10 days.
Andersen Hitch.
SuperSprings.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #15

I have not checked yet, but my understanding is that 1200lb is the max for my truck with weight distribution. I did switch to LT tires which made a big difference in handling, but I have been assuming my tongue weight is about 1000lb since my WD hitch levels the trailer (1000lb bars).

I was planning on getting it weighed while hitched to my truck, but I cannot seem to find private scales in my area (Waterloo, Ontario). From what you say, I will do this ASAP, and post what I find.

EDIT: I just noticed from your previous post that your tongue weight was with fresh water tanks full; since you have the Elite package (jealous) you have 80gal capacity versus 40gal in the standard model (mine), so add about 700lb of water slightly in front of the axles. This could easily add 100-200lb of tongue weight, but I am still going to weight my configuration to verify I am within capacity. On another note, I suggest you look under your trailer to see how secure your fresh water tanks are, my single tank does move from side to side quite a bit when I tow with ~10gal in the tank (toilet breaks while on the road!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Jay View Post
What are your scaled weights for your TV/TT combination, Motorbreath? I am just curious as I tow our 2015 28BHBE with a Silverado 3500HD. Tongue weight is usually around 1200lbs when headed out for a week to 10 days.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #16

We just looked at this setup and decided it was more trailer than we were willing to deal with on a trip to Yellowstone from mn. The payload numbers are the ones that had me nervous using our 2011 Silverado 1500 with tow package. We wouldn't have been over but it was close enough to make me think twice about throwing the bikes in the truck with empty water in the camper

So we purchased a 2500hd (2015 Silverado) and borrowed a friends Salem 26tbud which comes in at a similar weight to the 28 foot Jayco's. We are on the way home as I type and have averaged about 6.3 mpg dealing with a headwind. Truck isn't having trouble just dealing with resistance. Over the mountains heading west the truck ran at 5k rpms at places to maintain 55-60 mph speed. But We were never in danger of losing speed...it did work hard to get over but well within what this truck could do. I have no clue how the 1500 could have done it without some serious stress.

It's a judgement call but that one trip over the bighorns has me convinced the bigger truck is probably necessary for longer trips with the higher payload/bigger trailer.
khjulberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

I did indeed check the fresh water tanks while I had the underbelly down. (I had opened the front to run some wires and did not like what I saw)
The straps for the tanks are quite sturdy I am happy to say, and I did noticed that the tanks move around a bit. (Stuffed hi density foam insulation along sides of tanks to stabilize them)

The 2 "overflow lines" come from the front tank on my unit. There are 2 (two) 1/2" balance lines between the tanks at the top and 1 (one) 1 1/4" equalizing line at the bottom. The vent line at the gravity fill is the rear tank overflow/vent.

While I was in the underbelly I did secure all the wiring and fixed the slide motor connections as they were not making proper contact. (The slide travels much easier now)

All in all I was under the trailer for a full day, but it is good to know what things look like down there. It is now all sealed up and ready for our 10 days at Shuswap Lake Provincial Park. Soon ready to camp...
Happy Camping to all
Andersen Hitch.
SuperSprings.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #18

Hmm, I need to spend some time under my trailer, I am interested in adding a second fresh water tank like the Elite package has. We like provincial parks but need more fresh water capacity to really enjoy the stay without full hook-ups. If you ever get a chance, could you take pictures of the two tank setup your have? I would like to use that as a basis for adding the second tank.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by khjulberg View Post
We just looked at this setup and decided it was more trailer than we were willing to deal with on a trip to Yellowstone from mn. The payload numbers are the ones that had me nervous using our 2011 Silverado 1500 with tow package. We wouldn't have been over but it was close enough to make me think twice about throwing the bikes in the truck with empty water in the camper

So we purchased a 2500hd (2015 Silverado) and borrowed a friends Salem 26tbud which comes in at a similar weight to the 28 foot Jayco's. We are on the way home as I type and have averaged about 6.3 mpg dealing with a headwind. Truck isn't having trouble just dealing with resistance. Over the mountains heading west the truck ran at 5k rpms at places to maintain 55-60 mph speed. But We were never in danger of losing speed...it did work hard to get over but well within what this truck could do. I have no clue how the 1500 could have done it without some serious stress.

It's a judgement call but that one trip over the bighorns has me convinced the bigger truck is probably necessary for longer trips with the higher payload/bigger trailer.
I looked at the 2500s before I bought my 1500, I was very impressed with performance of the new Ram 2500 with the new 6.4L hemi but the interior was very cramped. The GMC/Chevy 2500 was much more comfortable and the 6.0L engine is known to be bulletproof (although not as peppy as the 6.4L hemi!). The thing is, unless I shelled out $$$ for a diesel engine, the 2500 with the 6.0 actually has a lower power-to-weight ratio compared to the 1500 (5.3 or 6.2). The big benefit with the 2500 is frame, suspension, and payload.

With the WD hitch setup properly my 1500 *feels* like it can handle the trailer fine. Braking is great since the 28BHBE has drum brakes on both axles and I have had no problem maintaining speed on moderate grades (3-5%). I would not regularly tow a trailer of this size and weight since my 5.3 is not built as well as the 6.0, but for a trip 1-2x a month during the Spring and Summer, I am happy
Old 07-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #20

I got around to check my weights on a scale, I am well within all of the limits for the 1500:

2015 Sierra 1500 5.3 3.42 with trailering package (1/2 tank of gas)
Payload is 1900lb (865kg)
Max axle weights are both 3950lb (1792kg)
Max tongue weight is 1200lb (544kg)
Max towing weight is 9200lb (4173kg)
GCWR is 15000lb (6804kg)

2015 Jayco 28BHBE (with 40 gal freshwater tank full, full propane, ~200lb in cargo)
Blue Ox WDH adjusted "properly" (had to re-adjust after dealer)

Scale trailer weight 7297lb (3310kg)
Scale truck weight 5578lb (2530kg), includes my daughter (10kg) and I (120kg)
Scale front axle weight 3020lb (1370kg)
Scale rear axle weight 2557lb (1160kg)
Scale tongue weight 771lb (350kg)
Payload estimate 1080lb (490kg)