Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

2015 Whitehawk 25BHS towing question

New to the forum. Just broke in my 2015 Colorado Z71 Red Rock 2WD. I have no complaints. I purchased the truck intending on purchasing a travel trailer for my family..(wife and 2 kids).

I have seen a bunch of towing threads but non can give me a staright answer. This is my first truck and first time learning about towing.

I am looking a purchasing a JAYCO 25BHS that has

An unloaded Vehicle weight of
Dry hitch weight of 590
GVWR of 6,500 :

I know the truck has a 7,000 lb tow rating and the Trailers GVWR is 6,500 which i probably will never get it t that weight. I plan on using a brake distribution system and brake controller.

I plan on using it 90% of the time in florida, mostly the florida keys.

I guess my main concern is can I tow it? but can i tow it safely with wife and kids in the truck?

Looking forward to everyones advice !
IromnanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #2

Love this tow calculator. RV Tow Check | Towing Guide Eliminator

Etrailer.com has one as well that is a bit more detailed.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #3

I had the older model Colorado and pulled a 17ft hybrid. I felt it was maxed out. The temperature gauge was always at the high end of acceptable and there was no power on the highway. I'm in NY. Florida is much hotter. I upgraded to a silverado, which actually was cheaper than the Colorado and have more than adequate power. The MPG isn't just about the same. also a longer wider wheel base is more stable and safer. We tow a 26 bh now and have no issues.

The dealer will always tell you you are fine. In this case, err on the side of safety and caution. Its easy to keep adding stuff to your trailer to increase the weight. Most people don't realize how quickly it all adds up.

I do like the lines of the new Colorado.
gmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #4

Available payload is typically the limiting factor. Load the wife and kids into the truck. Head to a truck stop, fill the gas tank and weigh it on a CAT scale. Use the real cat weights to compare to the max numbers on the sticker by the door.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

The weight specs for the trailer are the factory "projected" specs and will not be the same as when the trailer is delivered. I have the '15 25BHS. My tongue is 604 pounds with two full bottles and two twelve volt deep cycle batteries and unloaded. You will hear a lot of talk on these forums about CAT scales. Be advised, CAT scales are not available everywhere (like here in Alaska). However, there are scales to be found in other places (like many municipal dumps), so do an internet search for your area.

Other things to consider besides whether the TT falls into range for what the manufacturer posts as your vehicles tow and payload specifications are, wheel base (Length and Width), gear ratio, payload in vehicle including passengers.

Search the forums for stories and advice on this subject. Just because all the technical specs say you can do a thing does not mean you should do a thing. Since this is your first time having a truck and getting into towing a TT, proceed with caution. You are doing the right thing by seeking this information before hand.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
The weight specs for the trailer are the factory "projected" specs and will not be the same as when the trailer is delivered. I have the '15 25BHS. My tongue is 604 pounds with two full bottles and two twelve volt deep cycle batteries and unloaded. You will hear a lot of talk on these forums about CAT scales. Be advised, CAT scales are not available everywhere (like here in Alaska). However, there are scales to be found in other places (like many municipal dumps), so do an internet search for your area.

Other things to consider besides whether the TT falls into range for what the manufacturer posts as your vehicles tow and payload specifications are, wheel base (Length and Width), gear ratio, payload in vehicle including passengers.

Search the forums for stories and advice on this subject. Just because all the technical specs say you can do a thing does not mean you should do a thing. Since this is your first time having a truck and getting into towing a TT, proceed with caution. You are doing the right thing by seeking this information before hand.
thank you. I definitely am proceeding with caution since its a first for me.
IromnanZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Here is a chart showing "recommended" wheel base lengths. These are just recommendations and by no means a hard & fast rule. It looks like the Colorado has about 129" wheel base and the 25BHS has an overall length of just over 28'. This is just one of several parameters to be considered as NVGun40 has stated. You need to have enough tow vehicle weight and wheel base to prevent unexpected movements by the trailer from adversely affecting the tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
wheel_base.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote