Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Thumbs up 2016 27RLS Shakedown cruise!

My wife and I picked up our new trailer on Friday and hit the road on Saturday to enjoy our new toy and to see what needed to be addressed and also what we needed to learn. We took the trailer first to a full hookup facility in Central California's gold Country. Then, we spent 5 nights in Yosemite's Tuolumne Meadows. This is a dry site that sits at 8,720 feet altitude. We really gave her a workout.

Overall, the trailer was a great success! It was quite comfortable to tow and to set up. The shakedown revealed a few issues that are either fixable or our lack of knowledge. Perhaps you experts have an answer:
1) The hitch coupler is defective, very hard to hook up. the is a known issue and the dealer is working on the warranty for it.
2) The refrigerator would not latch and the lock would not work. It opened at least 3 times in our journey creating a wonderful mixture of milk (half gallon) and pickle juice (dill, yum!) on the floor from front to back. It is a Norcold 811. Of course, now that it is empty and stationary, it latches just fine. Go figure.
3) The shower drain is higher than the floor by about 3/4", creating a pond after each shower. It also leaked onto the bathroom and bedroom floor from the base of the plastic enclosure. That should be ab easy fix to caulk.
4) We filled the fresh tank(s), supposedly 2 40 gallon tanks at home. We filled it until it stopped filling and shut it off. Yet the overflow spilled it's guts for the next hour. We showed 3/4 filled at the first campsite and so decided to fill to capacity, anticipating our next dry location. Again it lost, I am guessing about 15-20 gallons during the next hour. When we stopped at one of the vistas, a lady pulled up and said that we were losing liquid every time we took a right bend. We acknowledged the overflow condition to her. But when we got to our campsite, the pump was sucking air! We had to fill again. Is it us or should we have it looked at, since we can't see under the trailer?
5) The door between the bedroom at bath collapses during travel. It happened twice and I see how it is installed. The little hook on the top swivels open to take it off and comes loose when you travel. ???

Like I said, it was a wonderful trip and the few items that need to be looked at did not change the fun we had. It was all a learning process and we had a great time. Next time you are in the neighborhhood, let us know. We would love to show you around!

2016 Jay Flight 27RFS
2015 Ford F-250 6.7 Powertrain
Monterey Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

I love it up at Tuolumne Meadows. Very brave doing a dry camping outing this soon. We have not tried that yet. There are still a few things we need to buy first.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

Thanks! We had a great time and really enjoyed the trailer. Going through turns in a 9 ft road with an 8ft wide trailer was a little unnerving but all's well....

2016 Jay Flight 27RFS
2015 Ford F-250 6.7 Powertrain
Monterey Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

If you have a chance, go up and over Tioga Pass and try Big Bend campground just at the base of the pass. It's pretty stunning and there are a lot of great hikes.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

We just purchased our new 27RLS yesterday. Stayed in it last night and drove it seven hours home today through the WV mountains. We did not have any problems except the auto tongue hitch. Didn't work last night and this morning but worked when we got home. Think it might be a battery issue. Our fridge shuts very tight, our bedroom to bathroom door has a strap about 8 inches down from the ceiling that keeps it in place. My husband and I both showered this morning with no leaks. We did not use the fresh water tanks. Sounds like you might have a leak in a tank or fitting?
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27rls, door, hitch, refrigerator, shower