Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #1

2016 338rets leaning

I have a 2016 338rets that I have had about a year and it leaned to the driver side 1.25 inches at the frame. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the driver side leaf springs with a lot heavier one did nothing to the other side....now it leans .75 inches to the other way. anybody ever hade two different size spring on the same trailer?
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

If they did this under warranty then Jayco would need to approve the repair. But I would call the dealer and ask if this was the process they used. I did own that same unit and with the driver side slide out it did lean slightly to that side.

The issue for me would be having Jayco approve the repair, if so then it's ok in my thinking. If not then it's something to discuss with Jayco.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

I wouldn't worry about something leaning 3/4". That could easily be caused by loading the trailer unevenly. Or like the above post points out the slide on one side.

If it really bothers you go to a scale and weigh each side independently and move stuff around to balance out the load. See if she still leans after that.

3/4" is easy to correct with the stabilizer jacks.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Springs should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:45 PM   #5

They did replace the driver side springs ( a pair ) but left the other side alone. Now that the new springs are on the trailer it now leans to the passenger side. The diver side springs are now a lot bigger than the other. The trailer is completely unloaded no water or cargo. The lean is with all the slides in. It is 7/8 of an inch lower on the frame at 22 inches off the ground on a completely level floor. If you put a plum bob on that side of the trailer its over six inches at the top. I never had any trailer with two different sizes of springs. They did fix the original to the diver side that was over two inches at the frame out of level. This trailer has electric stabilizer jacks and you cant level with them. I am not worried about camping it, I am worried about pulling it. It is leaning so much you can see it in the mirrors. Thanks for any input.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

Did you see my post above? Did Jayco approve this?
Many vehicles have different springs from side to side. Many OEM springs have part numbers for left to right. Since the days of taking the fuel tank out from behind the seat pickup trucks lean when they have a full tank of fuel. To correct a lean on my old F250 the dealer switched the left and right front springs. When the springs were out of the truck they were totally different in height. And the fix did bring the truck into lean spec.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #7

I'm not surprised the driver side needs heavier springs. There is a lot more weight on that side of the trailer with two slides, most of the cabinets, the bathroom and all of the appliances.

I would bet when loaded the lean to the door side will be corrected.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
I have a 2016 338rets that I have had about a year and it leaned to the driver side 1.25 inches at the frame. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the driver side leaf springs with a lot heavier one did nothing to the other side....now it leans .75 inches to the other way. anybody ever hade two different size spring on the same trailer?
I have the Eagle 330RETS and never realized I may have the same issue as you do. When I hook up my WD hitch, I count 5 links on the chain and one side seems very loose where the other side is so taught that I have to pry it up. This happens every time I hook it up. Any suggestions?
Jaakkandy is offline   Reply With Quote