Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

2016 F-150 Upgrades

I have pulled my 28BHS for almost 1800 miles without a complaint other than a little bouncy through not so great highway roads. My hope is to improve the bouncy feeling, remove any sag, and make the truck look better! I wanted a truck that didn't look like all the other F-150's I drive past everyday. However I didn't want to over do it so that I ruin my ride quality, so i just finished the following:

1. Added the Roadmaster Active Suspension (raised the backend a 1 1/4"). So far this has been great by giving it a better ride and feel. FYI - Used black shim setting. A bit spendy at $429 but worth it!
2. Over Christmas weekend I put in a 1.5" leveling spacer on the front. Now I have a 2" rake and with the trailer hooked up it is almost perfectly level. The back end sits a tad higher so I could of went with a 2" leveling kit but I have read a lot about leveling and every .5" makes a huge difference to the angles of the front end and the life of the parts. Cost $80 and a couple of scraped knuckles
3. Put on new rims which makes the truck more personal to me and doesn't look like all the other 150's on the road. DW wasn't happy about it because she doesn't understand why I would replace them when I just bought the truck, however she now thinks it looks good and I sold the OEM rims and tires for some good money in one day. (Rims are Mayhem Beasts 18X9's only $156 a wheel)
4. Mounted the rims with one tire size bigger so I don't kill my gas mileage and again ride quality. Went with BFG KO2's 275/70R18. These tires have been upgraded from the Old KO's and they have a much stronger side wall and tread pattern while still looking aggressive but still giving a smooth ride. Also the cost of the tire blows away Toyo's and other brands at just $225 a tire.
5. Not done yet but they are on order mud flaps. Now these are the most expensive for what they are but they are the highest quality flaps out there. The real additional expense is because I had to buy no drill brackets since the truck is aluminum. The flaps are .5" thick rubber that weigh 5lbs each so they will not just hang there without good support. Total cost with brackets $475 flaps were $115 each.

Hey with this set up it should improve the towing experience and it looks real cool!

Total cost about 3k but totally worth it other than the mud flaps being real spendy I believe I got everything done at a good price and hope to get a lot of benefit from it all. I have not towed due to the trailer is winterized and put away. I will say I have towed with the RAS suspension and it works great and with the tires now from what I have read from other post should be real good.

Happy New Year everyone!! This forum has been a lifesaver from a newbie's perspective and I have learned so much from properly towing to making some killer mods. May this year be filled with great camping memories and get your reservations in because here in WA you will be lucky to get any hook up sites if you didn't make plans 3 months ago for this summer. Worst than Ticketmaster when trying to get tickets to a hot event
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0624.jpg   IMG_0616.jpg  
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #2

To save three grand, I can live with the stock look. I can't see any way I could justify that sort of expenditure to myself, not to mention my wife. I still have a $1500 wish list for the TT itself, stuff that is more or less needed, so the truck will just have to go on as it is (I love it anyway).

I'm not enough of a mechanic to do some of that stuff, and don't really want to spend that kind of money mostly on appearance.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

We all have our priorities. I think it looks nice and the RAS system is a very worthwhile upgrade. Were the OEM tires load range E?
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

I am also a huge fan of adding personality and better function to my vehicles, so if these mods fit into your budget and you didn't make your wife crazy, then I say good for you. I own a 2014 F150 STX Sport 4x4, nice looking truck without some of the nicer frills offered to the more expensive F150 models. I changed the headlights and tail lights, added a backup camera and ditched the OEM car tires for BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 275/65R20 on the stock wheels.....I am very content.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

Yea I understand with why spend the money myself but I want to upgrade to range E tires because the OEM tires sucked but for looks were just fine. I had the Lariat rims which are nice and that's why they sold so quickly. Also it would of never happened if it were not for my lovely mom who gave me a $1000 for Christmas to buy a set of tires.

Now that it is done I'm super happy because it has its own look now and when I pull up next another Ruby red f150 they don't match... Also I put the leveling kit in myself and although I was a little timid to start tearing apart my front end it all worked out and it was fun. I have spent plenty of dough on my trailer with mods, slide out awning, custom made shelves I did, etc it's just like the truck it never ends if you want to start customizing. There is so much aftermarket stuff out there for both the truck or the trailer you can get carried away. I really like what I did and not only does it look better the mods I did help with my towing experience. Even the mud flaps will save my trailer from the rock dings that I now have from one season of towing.

I just wanted to share what I did so others who want to make changes to beef up their truck with a nice look and at the same time improve towing they can see and ask questions. I was very leary to do anything because I wanted to maintain the ride and towing quality so I read many truck forums and on here to create the package because I also read many horror stories of shops that went to town on people's trucks not giving into consideration to the towing part the vehicle will be doing. I took my car to Les Schwab and I told them what I wanted and that I tow a 6800lb TT, well he didn't listen to me. With a $3500 quote for just leveling, tires, and rims I would of been screwed when I went to go hook up. He wanted me to put 20" rims huge tires and extra that would blew my gas mileage, reduced my torque, and I would of been sagging real bad on my rear end when towing.

Hopefully this helps anyone that wants what I have done and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Because just like buying my new trailer last spring was horrific cause I was taken advantage of from the dealer and the whole experience was terrible. I want to share this to those want to make upgrades to the TV without sacrificing the towing capabilities and don't get screwed from some shop who says they know it all.

Thanks for the compliments!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote