Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #41
Lost in the Woods

I also share your frustration Ohio. Had I gotten the Heavy Duty Payload Package on my F150when I bought it new, I would be fine with it now. When I bought my truck I knew I was not going to get a tow trailer more than 10,000 lbs so the 11,200 lb rating of my F150 would be sufficient for any family trailers we were looking at as long as we weren't going for a 5th wheel due to their heavier pin weights.

Due to being closer than I would like on payload and being limited as to what I can carry in the box or pulling full fresh water tanks started me looking at the 2015 F150's this summer. After doing a little bit of internet research, I went to 4 different dealerships trying to price out a similarly equipped (to what I have now) in a 2015 F150 with HD Payload package and trailer tow package. Just wanted a price on the truck with HD Payload package and was told it didn't exist and I didn't know what I was talking about and would never need the HD Payload with the trailer I had (when salesman only knew the length of my trailer and no idea what I was putting in the box or on the kayak racks). If any of the salesmen had spent 10 minutes on the internet it would have saved a lot of discussion. I recently found out that Ford is not making a 2015 F150 with HD Payload so most of the 2015 F150 advertising you see about payload capacity is inaccurate because Ford does not make the F150 that has those capabilities.

You are correct that it doesn't make any sense to publish a towing capacity of 9,000 lbs, but technically the theoretical 150 lb driver, all by herself with a completely empty F150 with no options and no family or pets in the tuck, could pull the 9,000 lb empty trailer with a minimum 12% or 1040 lb tongue weight and still be within the max ratings of the truck.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #42

So. we did the unthinkable. after planning hard and long and investing money with the intent of having our F150 paid off in 4.5 years and having the extended warranty for 10 years. All this, and our 10 year plan is potentially being disrupted. I called the ford Dealer today and we are looking at getting a new F250.

the specs appear to be 12,500 for tow capacity and 2800 for payload (a big jump from 7700 and 1582 respectively).

Even still, I think we will be looking at lighter trailers (not super light but possibly lighter). But IF we bite the bullet, we open our prospective choices by leaps and bounds I think frustrating, but we're spending so much time trying to force a camper to fit our truck and sacrificing what we want, that it makes more sense I think in the long run to just upgrade the truck. That, or accept that we're in Hybrid territory and let it run with that.

will keep you posted. The F250 has a camping package, which Hubs was reading up on and supposedly it gives it the springiness of a 350 (not sure what all that means) either way it makes it easier. Stupid payment will increase by a year and a half(from 3 years left to 5) and about a hundred bucks. So we have to think hard on it but good news is we have 10k equity in the F150 already, and will be getting a chunk back from the warranty.. so... here we go!
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #43

I think you're headed in right direction now. Rather than being forced to downsize to a trailer you don't really want you'll upsize the truck and give yourself plenty of tow capacity. I think most people don't choose to go this way. They try to make do instead and end up making several (expensive) upgrades later. It's far cheaper to upgrade the truck now and buy the trailer you want. No more upgrading! You'll be happier and safer to boot. Hopefully you'll be able to transfer over your warrantees.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #44

It sucks... but its better to do this before you buy the trailer. You have the time to look around, compare prices and options and make an informed decision. If you bought a trailer and realized that you needed more truck later... you would be making a more rushed decision.

I know the feeling. I traded in a paid off half ton for a 2015 Ram a week and a half ago. I thought my numbers would work, but the wife kept adding stuff to our packing list and it was too heavy for the half ton. Having payments on the trailer (a TOY!!!) and the new Ram (not a "necessity") sure do hurt... but having the right tool for the job and knowing that we will be safe and have a reliable truck for the foreseeable future is worth the temporary expenditure.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #45

A lot of us have been there...I too traded our paid for 1500 for a 2500 to pull our trailer after towing it and not liking it at all! Heck, even traded the trailer in for a bigger one 4 months after buying it!

It's expensive and an unnecessary expense but, if you want to enjoy the toys you buy, you have to have the right toys for the job!

Remember, the vacation starts when you pull out of the driveway, not when you arrive at your destination! Having the right truck (and trailer), makes the vacation and time with family priceless!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
will keep you posted. The F250 has a camping package, which Hubs was reading up on and supposedly it gives it the springiness of a 350 (not sure what all that means) either way it makes it easier. Stupid payment will increase by a year and a half(from 3 years left to 5) and about a hundred bucks. So we have to think hard on it but good news is we have 10k equity in the F150 already, and will be getting a chunk back from the warranty.. so... here we go!
Have you considered the F350 with a single rear wheel? It should be negligibly more expensive than the F250 ($200-300). I have ridden in RAM 2500s and 3500s and they both had stiff rides, the 3500 was slightly more stiff but its payload was almost 4000lb versus 3000lb for the 2500.

Regarding the camper package for the F250, I don't think it gives you a higher payload, just a set of auxiliary leaf springs. The F350 has these by default and I assume they are beefier to handle the extra payload capacity.

I assume lots of people on the forum have had to make this decision...
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Your weight distribution hitch wont remove payload from the truck, nor do I believe it will affect tounge weight, some of the weight is simply no longer "down"force. It should shift weight from the rear axel to the front axels so it might help with the individual GAWR numbers is all.
I have WDH on my Jay Flight and my car hauler, it definitely has the ability to reduce the tongue weight, along with transferring weight evenly across the truck and trailer. This is most apparent for my car hauler, without WDH the weight is mainly on the rear axle of the truck and front axle of the trailer. When I engage the WDH the truck and trailer balance out putting more weight on both the front axle of the truck and rear axle of the trailer.

From what I understand you should not use the WDH to try and adjust the tongue weight, it should be used to level the truck and trailer out and distribute weight evenly across all of the axles.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #48

Although vehicles aren't a "good" investment and should be paid off as quickly as possible and driven until they can no longer be driven (my opinion of course ) I think you will be happier towing with the F250. The 6.7L diesel is a great engine and should last 10+ years if taken care of. And if you plan on spending time in the trailer making memories, taking family vacations, etc. the F250/350 is an excellent TV choice.

I know its a tough financial decision, but as far as safety and comfort it will pay off over the years as a TT owner.
TobyMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #49

Very smart to deal with the truck now, and not sacrifice on the TT you want. It will save you lots of money in the long run.

When we entered the world of TT camping we really wanted the 29QBH. Couldn't make it work with either our 1500 Silverado or Tahoe. Really wanted to tow with the Tahoe for seating and dogs, so we compromised to get a 26BH. Even though 26BH was much lighter, the Tahoe still knew it was there in the mountains so we started using my Silverado, dogs went in crates. The Silverado was better, but that 4-speed transmission struggled in the mountains and I didn't like the high RPMs required for horsepower in a gasser.

Said good bye to the 1500 Silverado, got a 2500 Duramax Silverado. It was a night and day towing experience improvement.

Guess what though, now I had the truck I should have had to start with, we started dreaming about the space in the 29QBH with the huge slide and bunk room.

You can see it coming, sold the 26BH and bought the 29QBH. Probably the most expensive route possible to get what we wanted originally. My dad told me education is expensive, I certainly purchased a degree in how not to get into TT camping.

One thing I suggest for you is to strongly consider upgrading your truck, but buy used. There are some good deals out there if you just remain patient and turn over lots of rocks.

You haven't mentioned it yet -- but allow me to bring it up. If you are going 2500/250 -- go the whole way and get a diesel. There truly is nothing like towing with a diesel. I will say it's worth every penny, but many here disagree.

Again, congratulations for asking questions and realizing you don't know what you don't know. It's frustrating now, but you will be leaps ahead by doing all this research and taking your time.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #50

Good move. Put the horse before the cart. Too many do the reverse... Get the truck that will pull what you want instead of struggle.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #51

On Friday I pulled our 28BHBE 5 hours from lower Michigan to the western side of the UP with our RAM 1/2 ton and couldn't be happier. Would the 3/4 ton due better, maybe. I seriously looked at them for the past 3 weeks for higher payloads, but now my search has stopped. My Hemi performed awesome at 10 mpg at 60 + mile an hour. Winds were also not a problem even though is was gusty. I think a proper set up is the most important key. If you think it won't work, nothing on earth will change your mind. Good luck!
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcschwenke View Post
On Friday I pulled our 28BHBE 5 hours from lower Michigan to the western side of the UP with our RAM 1/2 ton and couldn't be happier. Would the 3/4 ton due better, maybe. I seriously looked at them for the past 3 weeks for higher payloads, but now my search has stopped. My Hemi performed awesome at 10 mpg at 60 + mile an hour. Winds were also not a problem even though is was gusty. I think a proper set up is the most important key. If you think it won't work, nothing on earth will change your mind. Good luck!
There was definitely a world of difference after I re-adjusted my WDH after the dealer botched it up. What kind of WDH are you using? If I drive much over 60mph I get a touch of sway whenever I am passed by a semi. I have about 11-12% of the trailer weight on my tongue, so I am planning to try a little more based upon what many of the other have said, but maybe its my WDH, its the newer version of the Blue Ox hitch.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcschwenke View Post

Would a 3/4 ton do it better? LOL. Don't kid yourself... Of course it would, especially if it was a diesel. And any leaf spring rear end will do it better than a coil rear end unless you have air bags and even then I'm not sure.... But good to hear your setup is working good for u.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #54

Not all Jay Feathers are tent ends. Take a look at the one in my signature. Will sleep up to 8. We also tow with a 1/2 ton.

From one mom to another, I went through all your frustrations about 6 months ago.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:52 AM   #55

Our hitch is an Equaliizer. Yes, a half ton may bounce less, but will cost more and go through more fuel. My father in law is considering trading in his 3/4 ton Chevy. Towing a trailer 1000lbs less, he's getting 7mpg. Yes, he had a diesel, but it continually gave errors because they are not driving far enough for the emission stuff to work properly. The government ruined the deisel engines! He now has the 6.0l.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Not all Jay Feathers are tent ends. Take a look at the one in my signature. Will sleep up to 8. We also tow with a 1/2 ton.

From one mom to another, I went through all your frustrations about 6 months ago.

Your signature does not show up in Tapatalk. Even when clicking on your profile.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #57

Glad to hear you are moving up to a 3/4 ton and not learning the lesson the hard and expensive way like many of us have.

My only regret after moving up to a 3/4 ton is not getting the 1 ton! I now lust after all those nice 5th wheels and would probably be borderline on payload again if we ever start shopping for one.

Much better to get the truck first and get something that will handle any trailer you are considering. Make sure to keep an eye on the payload on the door jamb sticker for any truck you are looking at though. There are some 3/4 and 1 tons out there with pretty low payload.....

Cheers
Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Your signature does not show up in Tapatalk. Even when clicking on your profile.
Jay Feather X254.

I don't use Tapatalk. Is that a smartphone app?

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Jay Feather X254.

I don't use Tapatalk. Is that a smartphone app?

Thanks. Nice trailer. And yes, Tapatalk is a smartphone app for forums.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #60

2016 Jayflight 28 BHBE Elite - towing with an F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Glad to hear you are moving up to a 3/4 ton and not learning the lesson the hard and expensive way like many of us have.

My only regret after moving up to a 3/4 ton is not getting the 1 ton! I now lust after all those nice 5th wheels and would probably be borderline on payload again if we ever start shopping for one.

Much better to get the truck first and get something that will handle any trailer you are considering. Make sure to keep an eye on the payload on the door jamb sticker for any truck you are looking at though. There are some 3/4 and 1 tons out there with pretty low payload.....

Cheers

This... Get a truck to handle future upgrades first.