Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #121

*P.S. he came home yesterday after looking at the 350 all smiles - and saying it's a 'manly' truck so it's not all bad
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #122

Very nice. Again good decisions being made. Post up some pics of the setup when you get them jone
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
I know that hubs likes the quad bunks or 4 in the back that you can get with the other models (I initially stressed that I wanted those as well - but as women do, we change our minds sometimes ) I am now leaning toward the double bunks as they will fit 2 kids and adults, where as the single bunks *May* only fit kids. i.e., once the kids grow up will the bunks work or will we have to change?
Quad bunks was very important for us too. We started with a single over double rear bunks. Just not enough room for us. We considered the BHBE and other double over double options, but the quad bunk bunk room was really the best fit for us. We had to find a 29QBH, which was replaced with 29QBS, because the newer model added an outdoor kitchen at the expense of a bunk. We had no interest in an outdoor kitchen. Plus the 29 class trailers are ~32'-33' but if we went to the 32 class we jump to 36' which just cost us to many of our favorite spots.

Oh, we have had several adults and kids sleep in our bunk room. The bunks on one side are 3' wide where as the is 2.5'. The larger side is fine for an adult. Besides this is camping, the alternative is a tent and an air mattress.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #124

Also consider the weight rating of the bunks when trying to decide on a trailer. Ours have a minimum of 300lbs, bunk in the slide, and 600lbs for the bunk over the outdoor kitchen.

If it's meant to be, all will work out!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #125

Just one other thing to think about, depending on where you like to camp, some sites might be difficult to maneuver in with a large truck and 32' trailer. As we were looking at the different floorplans, we looked at the 32BHDS. We really liked the plan, but beside being a bit too big for our truck, we also realized that many state campground sites would be very difficult for a trailer that long. Maybe that's not as big an issue as we felt it might be. But I type this from a state campground, and the site we are in, which is one of our favorites, would be hard to back into with a 32' trailer. That was another reason we went with the 28BHBE.

Either way, congrats on the new TV and whatever TT you end up getting. At the end of the day, it's all about having fun as a family and making memories that last forever.
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #126

Quote:
I really do like the 28BHBE Elite. It's the best of both worlds to me, but, I know that hubs likes the quad bunks or 4 in the back that you can get with the other models (I initially stressed that I wanted those as well - but as women do, we change our minds sometimes ) I am now leaning toward the double bunks as they will fit 2 kids and adults, where as the single bunks *May* only fit kids. i.e., once the kids grow up will the bunks work or will we have to change? if this is a long term (10 year) investment, I'd like to go with the most logical approach for that.

we'll see - he's off to measure the dutchmen bunks now. LOL I'm a VERY lucky woman - with as cautious as I am about things and preplanning, it's a wonder i haven't driven him insane. But, we'll be celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary later this month, and we've been together over 20, so hopefully we can put this behind us and just enjoy now that the decisions are being made and we're finally moving forward.
We have an Eagle 284BHBE which we love the floorplan including the double bunks. The BIG selling point for us was the bathroom. Some may think I'm crazy, but this one of the biggest bathrooms you will find in a TT. You can actually turn around i the bathroom and the large shower is hard to find in any other model or manufacturer. Everyone who looks at our 284BHBE comments on how big the bathroom is.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
We have an Eagle 284BHBE which we love the floorplan including the double bunks. The BIG selling point for us was the bathroom. Some may think I'm crazy, but this one of the biggest bathrooms you will find in a TT. You can actually turn around i the bathroom and the large shower is hard to find in any other model or manufacturer. Everyone who looks at our 284BHBE comments on how big the bathroom is.
We also like the big bathroom.. It's still on our radar. there was just something about the coziness of it that we really liked. it's tough because it would be nice to have some extra room -but most of the time, we'll probably just be the 3 of us. then second to that it will be 7 of us (4 kids 3 adults). we figure if we need to do the whole family we can take a cot or 2 and still make it work. Not sure about having all that extra room for the majority of trips for the 3 of us. the 28BHBE is a really happy medium. I think we may end up having to order it - and that scares me - as I have heard the quality has really declined in the last couple of years. But to get what we want (elite, with a 15k A/C, and the thermal package) we might have to go that route.

curious to know what the size and weight capacities are of the 32bhds. I cant remember the size on the 28bhbe bunks either - i know they are 'full' size or double but campers tend to be smaller on the bed sizes so was wondering on the actual measurements

thanks again
Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM   #128

We ordered ours in May and had it within 6 weeks. So ours is a 2016. We got the Elite package, Thermal Package, 15K a/c, rear hitch (for our bike rack) and TV. It's our first Jayco, but I think the quality is outstanding. The only issue we have found with ours is the black and gray tank sensors are reversed on the annunciation panel. But literally nothing else. We also love the big bathroom, especially the shower. I'm not a big guy, but am 6' tall and the shower is awesome to use in the mornings. No more squeezing into a small shower like we had with our prior unit, a Palomino Solaire.

Our 15 year old is 6' and loves the longer top bunk. Our 13 year old loves the "den" feel of the lower bunk. :-) he calls it his bedroom.

I'm happy to take any measurements or photos if you'd like any. Also, check out Haylettautoandrv.com. They have some of the best walk through videos online. We didn't get ours from there, but watched a lot of videos to look at a lot of trailers before we stepped foot on a lot.

Like I said, we love ours, but looked at the 32BHDS too. Both are great trailers. Just depends what all you want! But I wouldn't let ordering scare you if you decide to do that. We did and are happy to get exactly what we wanted.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #129

Also, the bunks are 80" x 40". Like I said, my 6' 15 year old loves it and won't outgrow it.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #130

I have the 28bhs 5500 pounds pulling with F-150 with towing package. It pulls fine so far.
djvmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #131

Dont worry about all the other's that mite come with you , just plan on who will come all the time , When I bought my class A with bunk's I thought a bunch of my family would come , but they never did , I did not buy the bunks for them but I thought they would come every once in a while and I would have plenty of room , they where always a no show . so the 3 of us plus my dogs had plenty of room
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2drum View Post
Also, the bunks are 80" x 40". Like I said, my 6' 15 year old loves it and won't outgrow it.

just checking - that 40" isn't for the BHBE is it? can't be? that's just a little over 3 ft and I am pretty sure they were wider than that? I thought for sure we could fit an adult and child in the double bunks, but at 40" I'm not so sure, that's less that 24" per person, they HAVE to be wider than that - right? or are you talking about the quad ones? (the 4 single bunks)

thank you!

Tina
Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #133

Quote:
just checking - that 40" isn't for the BHBE is it? can't be? that's just a little over 3 ft and I am pretty sure they were wider than that? I thought for sure we could fit an adult and child in the double bunks, but at 40" I'm not so sure, that's less that 24" per person, they HAVE to be wider than that - right? or are you talking about the quad ones? (the 4 single bunks)

thank you!

Tina
I think your going to find the double bunks are at least 50" wide, sorry its not here in my yard to measure quick. Standard double is 54"x70", and ours (while a different model but similar and beds look identically sized) do fill out a standard double sheet set pretty well.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #134

Jayco lists the 32 BHDS bunks as 30x74/300lb rating (slide bunk) and 38x74/600lb rating (over outdoor kitchen), and the J cube futon at 74x74. Jayco didn't list the bed size on the '16 Jay Flights, but do list them for the '15 or '14 (can't remember which it was I found them listed).

Also consider adding the optional hide-a-bed for a larger bed if the couch is needed.

It is the '15 models that list the bed size. Jayco list the 28 BHBE bunks as 48x80.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #135

Quote:

thank you!

Tina
I'm sorry. Too much hard cider and camp fire smoke. :-) Yes, they are a bit over 48" wide, not 40. So 48x80. I'd still question the idea of two people in them however. While they are wider than a normal twin, it would be very cozy. I'd really spec the 28BHBE as a 6 person unit (1 per bunk, 1 on the table bed, 1 on the couch, and two up front.) You could put two on the hide a bed sofa (something else we ordered on ours and would suggest), but that would only mean 7.

Again, sorry on the mix-up.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #136

do you think one adult and a young child (6-7 years) could fit on a bunk? or a 9 and 11 year old on a bunk? we kind of planned if they were in their sleeping bags they could fit 2 to a bunk. as they get older it won't work and we'll have to bring a tent for them, but we are hoping it works in the mean time
Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #137

Quote:
do you think one adult and a young child (6-7 years) could fit on a bunk? or a 9 and 11 year old on a bunk? we kind of planned if they were in their sleeping bags they could fit 2 to a bunk. as they get older it won't work and we'll have to bring a tent for them, but we are hoping it works in the mean time
My brother and his wife both slept in the bottom bunk of our 28BHBE. He's not large, but he's tall. She's not small, but she's not "large" either. They're both smaller than me and my wife. There were no complaints other than it gets stuffy in that bottom bunk.

My wife and I have been in that bottom bunk with my 10 MO son a couple times. And while I don't think I would want to spend the whole night in there with the 3 of us, we did all fit in there together, and like I said, DW and I are NOT small people. Our tent footprint is smaller than that bunk, and DW and I used to camp in our bags in there.

So I think 2 reasonably sized individuals in sleeping bags should fit fine, just get some way to get air in there, it does get stuffy. I just bought a clip-on fan, but won't be able to test fit it until some time in September.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #138

Quote:
I asked my boys their thoughts, and they both said its doable, but would be cozy. I agree with that. I know Jayco would spec two people per bunk, but I don't think that would be ideal. Honestly, if that's your regular need, I would think the 32BHDS might meet your need better, or the 29QBS. We looked at that one too, but the bathroom was a bit smaller than we liked. The other option you'd always have is to put an air mattress on the floor by the table/bed. The floorspace is plentiful, so you could do that if necessary for a person or two. I don't know how many people you'll have each trip regularly, but that might be an option if you only needed the extra space on occasion.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #139

The double bunks in our trailer easily fits an adult and a child. I crawled in with my 8 year old one time just to see how much room he had.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
So I think 2 reasonably sized individuals in sleeping bags should fit fine, just get some way to get air in there, it does get stuffy. I just bought a clip-on fan, but won't be able to test fit it until some time in September.
We also bought a clip on fan for our son....who is always hot. He has had no problems on this trip.

One thing to factor related to Bob's experience...if my wife and I wanted to sleep on the bunk, we could without an issue. We like each other. :-) But my two boys, as brothers....might not experience the same "comfort" being so close. They get along good, but they're siblings...not a married couple. Just sayin.