Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

2017 Baja LED Turn Signal Problem

I am new here and a new Jayco owner and we are having an issue and just don't know where to turn to. We have a brand new Baja tow behind and a brand new F350 truck to tow with.
This issue has been going on since we went to leave on our first camping trip. We have had it to the RV dealer and to the Ford dealer twice, RV dealer says it is the truck, Ford says it is the trailer.
The left turn signal only works some of the time, sometimes it works perfect, sometimes it blinks fast, sometimes it doesn't work at all. The truck reads "left turn signal trailer default". The truck works perfect until we are towing.
When it is working properly all the tail lights work, when it is blinking fast the break lights light up but very dim, when it isn't working nothing workings. The right side works perfect all the time.
Any suggestions as to where else to look, or what it could be.
TIA
Jeepyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepyj93 View Post
I am new here and a new Jayco owner and we are having an issue and just don't know where to turn to. We have a brand new Baja tow behind and a brand new F350 truck to tow with.
This issue has been going on since we went to leave on our first camping trip. We have had it to the RV dealer and to the Ford dealer twice, RV dealer says it is the truck, Ford says it is the trailer.
The left turn signal only works some of the time, sometimes it works perfect, sometimes it blinks fast, sometimes it doesn't work at all. The truck reads "left turn signal trailer default". The truck works perfect until we are towing.
When it is working properly all the tail lights work, when it is blinking fast the break lights light up but very dim, when it isn't working nothing workings. The right side works perfect all the time.
Any suggestions as to where else to look, or what it could be.
TIA
Intermittent problems can be a real PIA.

Just to clarify... You took the trailer connected to the truck to the Ford and Jayco dealers. When they tried the left turn signal, all the lights worked without a problem for them, correct? Did either one drive the TV and TT over the road or ride with you on the road?

I'm going to go out on a limb, and say it is likely a bad or intermittent ground problem; probably with the trailer's left taillight/turn signal assembly. See if you can have that checked or even add an additional ground wire from the taillight/turn signal assembly to the trailer's frame.

Good luck. Please let us know how things go.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

I agree with Sherm. Sounds like a bad ground at the taillight.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

Of course you are right neither of them drove it, we have said it is a ground all along they just used their little computer and did the read outs. Our next test is to hook our TT to another truck and the TV to another similar trailer.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

I would like to suggest checking to see if there is a "Lighting Control Module" for the Ford. I had somehting very similar on my Chevy. There is a small circuit board that is basically relays. When the TV lights (Turn/Brake/etc) come on for the vehicle, then it activates a set of relays that those power the 7 way plug. That way the trailer is not pulling on the same circuit as the actual TV lighing. On mine, the relay were "sticky" so sometimes they worked, sometimes not, sometimes worked weird. Replacing that little board fixed everything. (That is also why the TV lights always worked without anything attached.) Just a suggestions. Again, I am not sure Ford even uses something like this. Good Luck.
Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the idea I have no idea if the Ford has one or not but will ask at the dealer if they checked it with the trailer connected. I am sure they did all their testing once the trailer was disconnected.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

So we had it in today to a RV repair place not where we bought it. They plugged it into their power source and were able to make it fault. That rules out the truck, then it came back on and all he had to do was tap the light fixture and it would go off.
They have been in contact with our dealer and a new light fixture is being sent.
Certainly hoping this solves our problem.