Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

2017 Jay Feather 25BH

Hello,

I am brand new to the forum and RVing in general! My family and I are picking up our Jay Feather 25BH in a couple weeks and are looking for advice on the purchase. If there is any wisdom you all can impart on the negotiation, walk through, towing etc. Please let me know! I will be towing with a GMC Yukon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
medic_adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new Jay Feather and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Congrats! As owners of a new 2017 25BH, I can tell you you've made a great choice. As far as things you should know, since you're new to rv'ing, there's going to be lots to learn but that's part of the fun! As far as towing, I pull mine with an '05 Silverado 1500. If your patient, it does fine, but I wouldn't want to pull it through the mountains. That being said, make sure you get a good weight distribution hitch and a good brake controller. I was able to get the dealer to throw in an Equ a lizer brand hitch in with the deal. They wouldn't negotiate price much but at least I got that. Good luck and enjoy!
Adanick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic_adrian View Post
Hello,

I am brand new to the forum and RVing in general! My family and I are picking up our Jay Feather 25BH in a couple weeks and are looking for advice on the purchase. If there is any wisdom you all can impart on the negotiation, walk through, towing etc. Please let me know! I will be towing with a GMC Yukon.

This forum is a great place to learn. You can search for "Checklists" in the Thread search and find a mountain of information on how to set up and take down your camper as well as things you will need and more importantly things they may try to sell you that you do not need.

First on the list as others have said is a good Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH). Again their are threads here that discuss WDH's. Everyone has their favorite.

Welcome to the forum, congratulations, and happy camping.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic_adrian View Post
Hello,

When you are checking out the trailer, let the kids play with all the buttons and switches and latches and drawers. If they are going to break things, you want them to do it before you have trailer at home.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

I have a 2017 25BH. We have two kids and have about 5000 miles on it already. We just finished a Chicago- Grand Canyon round trip. I tow it with a 2015 Dodge Durango RT with class 4 factory package. We opted for the Goodyear tires. We have the Husky centerline WDH.
All loaded up except fluids I'm at 6200lbs and about 700 tongue weight. We took it through the mountains with no issues. I haven't had any mechanical issues so far. A couple of loose pieces of trim is about it. Feel free to contact me if you want more details.
bsponsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #7

Thank you all for the feedback! We are getting pretty excited to pick it up next week. Has anyone purchased from Camping World? Apparently they include 2 deep cycle batteries, but I'm not sure how good they are.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #8

I have some advice: don't take your wife and daughter with you when you go to pick it up unless you don't mind spending an extra $500.00 on "accessories".
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
I have some advice: don't take your wife and daughter with you when you go to pick it up unless you don't mind spending an extra $500.00 on "accessories".

Now that you mention it, I can really see that one happening!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsponsler View Post
I have a 2017 25BH. We have two kids and have about 5000 miles on it already. We just finished a Chicago- Grand Canyon round trip. I tow it with a 2015 Dodge Durango RT with class 4 factory package. We opted for the Goodyear tires. We have the Husky centerline WDH.
All loaded up except fluids I'm at 6200lbs and about 700 tongue weight. We took it through the mountains with no issues. I haven't had any mechanical issues so far. A couple of loose pieces of trim is about it. Feel free to contact me if you want more details.

Not trying to hijack this post, but could you tell me how your kids like the bunks in your 25BH? We just picked one out at the dealership, but I'm getting a little nervous that the bunks on this model are too cramped (space between the mattress and the ceiling is less than in other models).
baddecisionmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #11

The top bunk in my 25BH is occupied by my 10 year old and the bottom by my 4 year old. This summer my in-laws joined us for a week so I slept in the bottom bunk for that week. I'm 6'2" and weigh 185, and I was comfortable. My wife slept on the dinette, and my 4 year old slept on the jack knife couch.
bsponsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Congrats on your 25BH. I'm not familiar with that specific floorplan, but I have slept in the bottom bunk of our 22BHM (I'm 5'7" 240#) and I have had no issues.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddecisionmaker View Post
Not trying to hijack this post, but could you tell me how your kids like the bunks in your 25BH? We just picked one out at the dealership, but I'm getting a little nervous that the bunks on this model are too cramped (space between the mattress and the ceiling is less than in other models).
My kids are fine with the bunks. They actually like them. If I were to complain....

It would be nice if it had some form of ladder. My daughter (turning 12 shortly) likes the top bunk and can climb up there. My son (8) takes the bottom. If I had a younger child it would be more of a hassle. We do normally have a folding chair to use as a step.

Another thing I don't like is that the curtain is a single curtain. Some Jaycos have dual curtains (one for top, one for bottom). We mentioned this when we were negotiating the purchase and our sales lady threw in a curtain slider and clips. We cut the curtain and hemed it so they each have their own curtain. Also a battery powered fan (one for each) helps as it can get stuffy in there. We have been doing more dry camping so don't have the power to run a lot of stuff.

It is tight but as I said they like it. It also means you have that nice outdoor kitchen or a nice storage area outside.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #14

Thank you everyone. I have a terrible time trying to make decisions sometimes, and choosing a trailer has been challenging!
baddecisionmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:55 AM   #15

We went to Camping World and survived the 100 mile journey home. After a little dickering over towing accessories and finishing the install on my auxiliary transmission cooler in an AutoZone parking lot, all went well. It towed nicely and is meeting our every expectation. Thank you all for your input!

2018 Jay Feather 25BH
Old 09-09-2017, 01:59 AM   #16
Site Team

Congratulations. Here's to many years of enjoyment and safe travels.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote