Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

2017 JayFlight Slide Out Leaks

Hello, I'm hoping to gain some help...I have noticed that a large amount of water must have migrated in around my slide out. The carpet is saturated along with the base of the walls. Mold has started to appear in the corners and under the couch Has anyone experienced this problem? I wouldn't expect to have any problems with a brand new TT. Anything I should look at other than the outside wiper seals? Thanks for help!
nukldragr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

Did you check if your slide is fully retracted? There is always the possibility of releasing the button too soon, or accidently hitting it for a second causing it to move even a 1/4", which would be enough to break the seal. The slide on my son's trailer was leaning out just a bit, but it was enough to allow water in. We solved that problem with the adjustable tensioners that you can put on the inside of the trailer above the slide and adjust a tight fit between front ttrim of slide and wall. That solved his water problem. Important to remember to remove them before trying to put the slide out, or you will have more than just water problems!
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

Has the camper been in use this winter or sitting? If you are able and still use it, make sure you put towels down on the sides of the slide after running it in if it is wet. If you don't dry up the water that runs in, you will have puddles on the floor.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukldragr View Post
The carpet is saturated along with the base of the walls. Mold has started to appear in the corners and under the couch I wouldn't expect to have any problems with a brand new TT.
First of all welcome to the Forum. Secondly, you need to get the trailer back to the dealer ASAP before more damage is done. Could be a number of different reasons why your slide is leaking. Good thing it is still under warranty.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Is the wet flooring and wet walls within the box of the slide out? If its within the slide out behind the sofa I would suggest that you have a look at the outside of the slideout (with it in the out position) and examine the junctions where floor and walls meet and especially at the two bottom corners.

My JayFlight leaked right from new at those two corners. What was actually happening is the water that would run off the slide during rain would be drawn in like a candle wick at those corners. After a good rain there would be puddles of water in those corners inside. After applying a heavy coat of RV caulking to the exterior floor-wall junctions and especially at the corners, the problem was immediately solved and has never returned.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

Thanks for your response. The slide out is in the fully extended position as we are using the trailer during the winter. Here in the NW it rains more days than not. We have made sure that the trailer is level but after doing some research online, others are saying to not level it fully on the slide out side.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

Yes, thankfully the trailer is under warranty! However, the soonest I could get it into the dealer (Camping World) is at the end of March. I have also called Jayco to file a claim as well and haven't heard back from them. My worries are that the water damage will continue with the repairs needed not being fully covered because of the many clauses in the Jayco warranty.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

I don't know if this helps, but put a dehumidifier and let it run for a few days to suck all the mositure out. It might slow down the process of molding. Worth a try.

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #9

Pull the carpet and get the pad out pronto.. Put a couple of large fans in there for about 72 hours to dry it out. Replace the pad in the effected area. They make some great surface fungicides if you've just got some surface mold. If you belief its within the exterior wall, that's a more serious issue. You can try taking it to a dealer for warranty service but won't get the unit back till summer.. Don't take it there wet, they'll leave it sitting closed up and the interior will look like a friggin science experiment...
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for your response. The slide out is in the fully extended position as we are using the trailer during the winter. Here in the NW it rains more days than not. We have made sure that the trailer is level but after doing some research online, others are saying to not level it fully on the slide out side.
Quote:
Yes, thankfully the trailer is under warranty! However, the soonest I could get it into the dealer (Camping World) is at the end of March. I have also called Jayco to file a claim as well and haven't heard back from them. My worries are that the water damage will continue with the repairs needed not being fully covered because of the many clauses in the Jayco warranty.
Welcome to the forum.

Regarding leveling: Depending upon where water is getting in, keeping the slide side just a little low when the slide is extended will help keep water on the top of the slide away from the top seal.

I'm not surprised you haven't heard back from Jayco. Everything I've read from folks on this site leads me to understand that Jayco works through their dealers for warranty repairs. Unless someone at Jayco told you something different, it's likely nothing will be started regarding a claim until a dealer sees it and reports it to Jayco.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #11

Just to give everyone an update as to what was found with my leaking slide out. Water is migrating in from all the slide out windows. It has now been at the dealer for about a month and will most likely be there for another two weeks. Carpet, flooring, paneling, trim and couch to all be replaced due to mold issues. So bummed that we are experiencing this...nothing like spending top dollar for a brand new unit with this issue! Buyers beware as this sounds like a known problem! Hopefully they fix it the first time. However, I don't have much faith with Camping World though!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

What model Jay Flight is this? Aluminum or Fiberglass?
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #13

2017 Jay Flight 28RLS Aluminum.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

2019 Jayflight Slide Out Leaks

We purchased our 2019 Jayco Jayflight 34RSBS new last year. The slide out over the recliners in living area and dining area leaks everytime it rains and soaks our carpet. In addition, it soaks the recliners and fills the cup holders with water. In looking and comparing slides from exterior, I noticed that this particular slide appears to be sagging where the seal is located. The water comes through the wood framing on the inside and has filled the light fixtures. There is also a type of black glue (almost looks like molasses) coming through the lights and the seams inside on this slide. What was the remedy for yours leaking and was it fixed under warranty by Camping World?
ddhanks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking slide out