Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

2018 Jayco SLX Water Heater already failed

Looks like I need to take our new travel trailer in for service a second time, first was the fridge not running on gas, now our gas only hot water heater will not ignite. Any tips on what to look for? I pulled all connectors off, and plugged them back in. It just makes clicking sounds, and you can hear the gas running while it's trying to light. Not fun being out camping and no hot water.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

Could be a spider in the burner tube.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #3

From other threads I pulled out the 2 amp fuse and it does not look blown, but I am going to get some new ones to try that before taking it in. How would you clean out where a spider might have gotten in? It worked all weekend at the campground until this morning.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

Update: Not the 2 amp fuse, I was hoping it would be something simple.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markscns View Post
From other threads I pulled out the 2 amp fuse and it does not look blown, but I am going to get some new ones to try that before taking it in. How would you clean out where a spider might have gotten in? It worked all weekend at the campground until this morning.
Thought you meant first time you went to lite it over the weekend.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

Ours stops working from time to time. A speck of sand will do that.
Aim a can of compressed air at the tube.
We've got 40000 miles and 140 nights on ours and the can of air has helped 3 times. 0 failures

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Compressed air did not work either just tried it, to the Jayco dealer it goes again.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Do the burners on your stove light? If not, try shutting the gas off at the tank, wait a while, then open the tank valve very slowly. It's got a safety shutdown that activates if opened too fast, like it detects a gas leak. Just an offbeat thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #9

Stove lights up, furnace lights up, and fridge runs on gas. Gas does run to the water heater, you can hear it when it tries to ignite 3 times.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Go here Atwood Water Heater Troubleshootingand scroll down to the have spark-no light section, and maybe there's something there to check.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #11

Ours had a similar issue and it turned out to be some corrosion on the thermocouple. I used some fine-grit sandpaper to clean it up a bit and it's been working fine ever since.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #12

control module

i had the exact same issue 2 second time taking our new 2017 (June). It was a month old, worked fine the first outing. After trying everything i could find to try, it was a bad control module. Took the dealer about 60 seconds to diagnose, and 5 minutes to fix. Hadn't had another issue since. Just returned from Tennessee today and still no issues.
ebenton6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #13

A neighbor of mine also has a new SLX whose gas only water heater would not operate. He took it to dealer and they replaced a 'board'. Good luck with yours.

Lee in NC
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #14

Wish me the best, our fridge took them about 30 minutes to fix for a firing issue, but it took three weeks to get an appointment. We will be pretty much done for the season if we have a three week wait again. Bummer. I am going to try to press them into getting it in sooner than later.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #15

I would not let the lack of hot water end my camping season. If they can't get you in quick use it and make an appt for later.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I had issues with mine lighting the first time .... i still have problems with my fridge changing over to gas and lighting ...... now, here's my issue with the whole thing. First off, it's not a Jayco caused problem. They only install the appliances. Are the Norcolds and the Atwoods or whoever making cheaper products? Or, is the tech @ your dealer who was supposed to make sure these items were all working prior to you taking delivery .... isn't that why we have a PDI charge? This is rediculous, you buy a new trailer .... everything should darn well work!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #17

We had the same problem with our 2017 SLX. The heater would light the first time but would not the second time. I had to take it to the dealer three different times before they replaced the board. They would fire it up one time and say that it worked, but it would not light when it cycled back on.
swtbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 AM   #18

I have a service call on Friday at our dealer, they said they have seen these issues come in more than once this summer. They think it's due to condensation shorting the board out. They said they can change it out in about five minutes for us. We are splurging about $300 to have an electric heating element added so that if this happens again, we will still have hot water and will not have to use our LP much at full-hookup sites.

I have to agree with the walk though, I was not impressed by our walk-through and we felt rushed. They didn't even show us how to bypass the hot water heater when we winterize it. All they kept telling us is that everything is automatic and there are no worries.

I'm concerned that the hot water heater board failed within one month, no big deal under the two year warranty, but if it continues to happen it could cost a pretty penny over the years.