Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #1

23RB Cabinets

If there's one thing I've learned with my 23RB, do NOT put anything in the cabinets. They look all strong on the outside, but the bottoms are SUPER WEAK. I'm not at all happy about the cabinets at the moment. I didn't know I would need to hire a carpenter in order to store anything in the cabinets. Unbelievable.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

Their "high quality" was one of the "selling points" our salesman made. I could easily tell that wasn't true. I'm wondering what kind of problems you've had with yours. I've tried to not put anything of much weight in the upper cabinets and also in the cabinets on both sides of the bed in our 23rb. They sure don't make them like they used to!
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryb View Post
Their "high quality" was one of the "selling points" our salesman made. I could easily tell that wasn't true. I'm wondering what kind of problems you've had with yours. I've tried to not put anything of much weight in the upper cabinets and also in the cabinets on both sides of the bed in our 23rb. They sure don't make them like they used to!
They made the same pitch to me. And I guess the fronts and sides are well built. The bottoms, however, are made with paper. And the black covers that cover empty spaces? Those are like cardboard.

The biggest problem I had was with the bottom of the wardrobes flanking my bed. They both gave out, pulling the staples out of the "cardboard" bottoms and making it tough to put back in. I have some ideas to fix that (adding a plywood insert and using the existing bottom as a veneer on top. That will add some strength and look reasonably good everywhere but underneath (outside of the wardrobe) looking up, where few would ever look.

The other problem I had was with the cabinet over the sink. You can't put much of anything in there without the rear of the bottom sliding down and bowing. Why wouldn't they put some sort of wood brace under there? Now I need to find the right dowels, cut them to length, stain, and nail them up to support the back of the cabinet floor. And there I can't even put much in there. Instead I have to put my food in containers under the sofa.

Not happy with these obvious oversights.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #4

The doors aren't much better. My rig is at the dealer getting cabinet doors replaced. Five of them were coming apart at the joints. I told the dealer they must have been made on a Sunday and the Amish craftsmen were off for church. They weren't amused and said that Jayco outsources the cabinet doors.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Mine must have been built mid-week because the cabinets are great in our 23rb. The furnace is another story!
Racinforthefinish is offline   Reply With Quote