Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

23RB Shirt Lockers on Side of Bed AWFUL

Had a mishap today moving into my travel trailer. I intended to use the shirt lockers/closets that flank the bed to stack jeans and T-shirts. Once I got to the 6th pair of jeans the bottom (only 1/8" thick) completely fell out, pulling the staples and mounting hardware with it.

This is a HORRIBLE design. Not only the floor of the closets mounted to the under side of some trim (instead on top, which would offer more stability and strength), but there is no warning against stacking stuff inside.

Luckily the bottom panel did not break. I will buy some 1/4" finished plywood for each closet, stain it, add some cross members underneath, put a new bottom floor inside and then add the original floor w/veneer on top (need to trim it some).

Stupid design.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Todd:

First I've got a sizeable solar panel project based on your advice and now you are telling me I must also turn into a carpenter's mate to fix bedroom closets. What next...? I am writing all of this down for when I get my 23RB next month (chuckle). More surprises later? Your readership wants to know.

Bob
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #3

There's more.

Made one pleasant discovery...and a few more unpleasant ones.

If you bought your 23RB with the Elite package then you got the skylight. I was concerned it allowing in way too much heat in the heat of summer. Jayco had the common sense to make it twice as long as a ceiling fan opening, though, which means two Camco 45192 Sunshield Vent Insulators do fit snugly inside the skylight if it gets too hot outside. That's a plus.

That said, there are a few more misgivings, including:

* The switch on bedroom light is on the opposite side of the door and faces away, making it harder to reach.

* The bathroom door when open rubs against the wall-mounted TV and rubs off the door's veneer. I bought a Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker to cover up this new blemish and I'm looking into a door stop to prevent that from happening again in the future.

* My top drawer (the short one) on kitchen cabinets needs more support in back. Doesn't close flush with the face of the cabinets. I will fix that myself.

* The rear floor of the bathroom closet is exposed to the elements along the side where the walls meet the floor of the closet, which is a shame because that right-rear compartment is perfect for a generator. I now need to seal the corners with silicon and Great Stuff foam insulation and in the storage bay I am going to install some insulation and visqueen to prevent the elements and fumes from generator getting into the travel trailer.

* The locks on outside storage doors and front door are horrible and dent easily. They need to be replaced anyhow because the key used to open them is the same as almost EVERY other travel trailer sold in the country, but the quality is nonetheless lacking. Opening them now until my new locks arrive is frustrating.

* Jayco should install a telecommunications port standard on the roof above the communications bay above the stereo and next to the TV so it is easy for owners to run coaxial lines from room for Wi-Fi, satellite TV, and/or a wireless telephone extender. I had to install my own.

* There should be an arm to keep the jack knife sofa up for easier access to the storage area under it. It is really a challenge to keep it open and move items in and out of the storage area under it. I'm looking into some sort of dowel or something to help keep it open on its own when moving gear in and out of the storage area underneath it.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Todd:

Moving right along here with some semblance of progress, I think?

You don 't specifically confirm that your TT has the Elite option skylight but I am going to presume it does. If so, then the installation of the skylight still left enough space to tidily put down four, solar panels like we've already discussed. Yes, no?

Pet peeve... I like some bedroom lighting switches where I have control from my bedside. In fact, after buying my house years ago, I entirely rewired it putting switches in usable locations rather than where some ignorant electrical contractor thought they should be. Hmmm. seems like there might be two solutions to the problem. Get a long stick or relocate the switch. I'll opt to relocate the switch in due course. Apparently JAYCO builders do not live in their own products or they would soon tire of having to trudge out of bed to turn off a light!

When initially looking at a model 23RB, I wondered about the location of the TV and noted that it would likely bang against stuff. You've confirmed my worst fears. Thanks for this reminder, particularly since I opted for a larger than stock TV.

I declined having the Elite option of a small reefer and gas burner in the right rear space (facing forward) so that there would be a place for a small generator just like you planned. Now, based upon your comments, I are confused. Are you saying there is no compartment with a lockable door at this location or are you saying that some work has to be done to make this compartment permanently usable?

Seems like Carpentry 101 is beckoning after I get the trailer. An adjustment of a drawer is certainly doable but why?

Once again, keep your 23RB observations coming. I am a dedicated reader. It may well be that I will also have situations arise with mine after delivery that could be shared with you.

Regards,
Bob
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Gharwali;292381]Todd:

Then the installation of the skylight still left enough space to tidily put down four, solar panels like we've already discussed. Yes, no?

Yes. And room to add at least two more panels if necessary I believe.

I like some bedroom lighting switches where I have control from my bedside.

Yes, that would be nice. The only way to control the lighting in the 23RB is by using the switch pre-installed onto the bezel surrounding each lamp, or with the switches as you enter the coach on the master control panel.

When initially looking at a model 23RB, I wondered about the location of the TV and noted that it would likely bang against stuff. You've confirmed my worst fears. Thanks for this reminder, particularly since I opted for a larger than stock TV.

I thought a simple floor mounted door stop would work, but the gap beneath the floor makes that impossible. It is especially tall for some reason. A door mounted stop doesn't seem to make sense since the quality of the door is very hollow and thin. I can see it just going through the door. I have yet to investigate the hinges to see if a hinge-mounted door stop will work, or maybe taking the floor mounted stop and affixing it to the ceiling instead. I have yet to investigate both options fully. More on that later.

I declined having the Elite option of a small reefer and gas burner in the right rear space (facing forward) so that there would be a place for a small generator just like you planned. Now, based upon your comments, I are confused. Are you saying there is no compartment with a lockable door at this location or are you saying that some work has to be done to make this compartment permanently usable?

There is a compartment, and yes the door locks. But when you get it, go into the bathroom, close the door and block the light from the ceiling fan and look inside the dark closet with the storage bay door beneath it open. You will see light coming through where the floor meets the wall along the entire circumference of the closet. What I am saying is if you want a permanently mounted generator in there you will need to add silicon or caulk all along the floor, add some foam in the corner where the vent pipe comes through the floor, add more tape or silicon along the crevices inside the storage bay, add insulation, and then a plastic fume-proof barrier. At least that's what I think is necessary in my application. I don't think venting the exhaust out the bottom of the storage bay's door will be enough given how much space is between the floor and the walls inside that closet. I would fear CO leaking into the cabin.

Seems like Carpentry 101 is beckoning after I get the trailer. An adjustment of a drawer is certainly doable but why?

On mine, the rear of the drawer is not supported, so it leans back and down. When you close the drawer the fascia does not close flush against the wall of the cabinet.

Once again, keep your 23RB observations coming. I am a dedicated reader. It may well be that I will also have situations arise with mine after delivery that could be shared with you.

I will. Hopefully I can share some photos soon, too.