Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

25BH: Need 2nd AC unit?

Well we are 2 weeks out from making a decision on a 25BH or 31FS. My question is, living in the deep south will I need a 2nd AC unit for the 25BH once we hit the dog days of late July and August? I will post a similar message in the Class C section for the 31FS.
Thanks-
warjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warjayco View Post
Well we are 2 weeks out from making a decision on a 25BH or 31FS. My question is, living in the deep south will I need a 2nd AC unit for the 25BH once we hit the dog days of late July and August? I will post a similar message in the Class C section for the 31FS.
Thanks-
I assume you are talking Jay Feather 25BH? If so they don't have an option for a 2nd AC. The 25BH is only available as a 30 Amp Service unit and for a dual AC you need 50A. No way you could run dual ACs on a 30A Service. You do have the option of a 13.5K or the larger 15K AC unit. I would go with the bigger in the deep south. I am in MN but it does get hot and sticky here in the summer. We have used the AC a bit and it does well at cooling down the unit. It has ducted vents into the forward bedroom. I would say it would be nice if there was a vent in the bunk areas as they can get warm with the curtain closed. Or so the kids say.

Do you have to have a 2nd unit, no, not really possible though. Even to retrofit you would be looking at some serious costs. The roof isn't prepped for it, it would have to be upgraded from 30 to 50A service. That would mean upgrading the wiring from the mouse hole to the converter. Somehow pulling the wire through the vacuum bonded walls to the second AC. It would be cheaper buying a WhiteHawk but even in that line I don't think the 25 footers have that option. I think it starts at around 28'.

I guess maybe you might be thinking of a portable unit. You could always add that if you really needed it on hot days. Not sure how much power they pull though.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #3

in the 25 (I don't know if it's available or not), I would say no you don't need it. We have a 27BHS with the 2nd AC and it's nice to have. But you will only need it if you are in Florida in the middle of the summer IMO. Definitely get the 15K upgrade and you should be just fine. But the odds that you'll need the 2nd unit more than once or twice a year are not high IMO. I like having ours....but we almost never turn it on.

Another thought (if it's available) would be to get the insulated underbelly. That will also help keep heat OUT during the hot months.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

On a 25, probably not.
On a 31, it's personal preference. How cool do you like it inside?
I'm assuming second AC is for the bedroom.
There's an old saying, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

I recently saw an alante here in Florida with two AC's and 30 amp service. The owner said they were 11k units. He bought it in NY. We just finished four nights in south florida and my Precept 31ul struggled to keep it 76 degrees with all windows covered with insulated reflective foil covers. it was sitting in full sun all day.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warjayco View Post
Thanks-
We have 32ft Eagle and struggled to decide on a 2nd A/C unit too. I am in South Ga and the heat and humidity are ridiculous. Anyway we have held off from the 2nd unit, but did some things in the TT that have really helped. Someone suggested that silver bubble insulation and I put it in all of the non-opening windows as well as the windows that are in direct sunlight. We also cover the sky-light during the day and filled the two air vents with the square foam covers. On a 95 degree day 105 heat index we maintain around 79 inside. Without it was around 85.
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #7

J Feather 25BH 2nd AC

We live in Alabama and have a J Feather 25BH with the larger AC. If we are parked in direct sun in the summer the AC will keep it bearable but not as cool as I would like. High 70s to mid 80s is the best it can do. It does well at night and out of direct sun.

A second AC unit would need a separate power line that you could plug into a 20 amp + source.
johnfolsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #8

Our Eagle is 32 foot box. It's only 30 amp and a single 15k ac. We've spent lots of months in 90+ desert temps in reasonable comfort. We use a fan occasionally to move air into the bedroom and assist the single ceiling outlet.

And we did some of the things the bone mentioned.

But having lived in humid areas of the country many years I have to wonder if our setup would have worked in, say, Mississippi. No substitute for two units and 50 amp service.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #9

We had a 19 foot from another maker with a 15,000 and at night it would get the camper very cold, the 50's, but in the daytime the best it would do is get into the mid 80's. That is in July in southern Louisiana.
With the 2019 Jayfeather 27RL we have 2 15K Ac's. We usually just run the added AC in the bedroom with a little fan to push air back into the back of the trailer and leave the main AC set on maybe 78-80 so if it starts to get to warm the it will kick on also. It is not often the main AC comes on.
The reason we do this is it is quieter with the other AC running if we are just watching TV or playing cards.
I do believe the JayFeather is built with better insulation than the other trailer we had.
Been very happy with our Jayfeather so far.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #10

I have a 25BH. For me the issue is I work a lot of midnight shifts and a lot of weekends. The wife complains she can't clean the house on weekends I work so I've been sleeping in the RV on those weekends. Of course I have to close it up to keep out as much light as possible and when closing the doors, the one vent isn't enough to cool the bedroom. I bought a small portable AC similar to this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/CCH-YPLA-...White/55615842

In a previous thread, one person said they use a portable AC to help with their bedroom while the main AC cools the rest. By the time I bought it I was not scheduled to work weekends until it got cool enough to not need it, so I haven't been able to test it in the RV. My only issue will be how to vent it. I haven't completely figure out the best way yet. I tested the unit in my house bedroom and most of the water is vented so I don't need to empty the tank, so far anyway.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

I don’t know if this is any help to you or not but I have a 2018 267bhsw and live in the Central Valley in California. Summer temps are above 100 for weeks at a time. Our trailer has only the one unit and it is ducted. We took it out several times this year during the summer and the ac kept that trailer cool at all times with no issues.
Rastfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #12

On our 28RL we have the 15K AC. We live in southern Az where it’s not humid, but it’s hot as hell. Our unit on a 105 degree day will not shut off, but it’s fairly comfortable. On a 25’ with the 15K option you should be ok. Our last trailer was a 24’ with a 13K and it did fine.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 AM   #13

The need for a second AC and cost associated with it is dependent from my perspective on where you will be using the trailer most. If you are going to be consistently in very hot and humid areas it may be worth to you to have a second AC.

We have a second AC in our trailer, are previous trailer did not (we live in San Antonio) and are grateful because we get hot and humid in the summer. Another case in point on a trip out west we stopped twice on our trip in AZ. In Needles, CA where we stopped once the temps were about 115 degrees. The second AC was needed.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote