Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #1

267 BHS real world experience

I am planning on buying a 2014/15 267BHS, but have some questions. I hope to look at this model at the Gettysburg RV show, but wanted some real world experience.

How much air do the bunks get? We will have a 2.5 year old using the bottom bunk for now, possibly some cousins could join us soon too. We will need to put up some sort of curtain to block light into the bunks. I am concerned that there doesn't appear to be an AC duct immediately adjacent to the bunks.

It appears that it is standard for a regular bunk over a double bunk and optional for the double over double. What do you have, do you like it? Would you have change it if you could, and if so, why? I understand that the double over double increases sleeping capacity, but I don't intend to pack the camper full too often. I wonder if it is better to have the smaller upper bunk and the little wardrobe and make it easier to climb into the top bunk, or if it isn't worthwhile for the little wardrobe and the top bunk would be too small for growing kids.

The shoe "rack" under the tv console, is that useable space for shoes or is it just a photo op with tiny shoes?

The tv console looks horrible placed to watch from the sofa. We don't watch much tv while camping, but rainy days or quiet time might change that. Have people mounted a swivel arm so that the tv can be angled to be viewed better from couch?

Related note, I might want to hang the tv so it is viewable from the bedroom. I assume that the bracket location is accessible from both sides (bedroom and living room). Can anyone confirm or deny this theory?

I am 6-04, the short queen is too small for me. On my current camper I replaced the plywood with a longer piece and installed a full length queen mattress. Is there 6" of space between the current short queen and the entertainment center wall so that I could put a full size mattress there?

I see that an exterior ladder is an option on this model. Are all 267BHS models made with proper blocking behind the wall so that I could add the ladder if I can't find a dealer with that option?

Anyone with a 2014 267BHS that can advise whether or not it comes with LED lighting built into the awning? I don't think I would pay extra just for this feature, but it would be cool to have!

It doesn't appear that I can order a freestanding table and 4 chairs rather than a dinette. I was wondering if it is feasible to remove the dinette bench nearest the sofa and replace it with 2 chairs. It would make it much more user friendly for my family. The dinette is over carpet, I would guess its just a couple brackets holding it to the floor...?

How do you use the "wardrobe" in the kitchen? Do you use it as a pantry or for clothing? For that matter, where do you store stuff like food and clothes?

How many roof vents are there? I currently have a bathroom roof vent and a front bedroom roof vent. When I store the camper, I leave both vents slightly open (they have vent covers). The open vents allow air to circulate and avoid stale/moldy smelling air inside.

Tank draining/cleaning. On my current trailer I have a window in the bathroom. When I flush my tanks, we run a hose through the window to flush the toilet. This model doesn't have a window =(. My buddy has a 2014 MY trailer (can't think of make right now) and it has a specific city water hookup for tank flushing. How do you guys flush your tanks?

I can't think of any other questions right now. I appreciate any experience you all can provide me. We are getting super excited about a new camper, even it is 8-10 months away from being purchased! We usually go on one extended (2 week) vacation a year and multiple weekend or short week trips. Hopefully the number of days camped per year can greatly increase with a larger camper and more creature comforts!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #2

Seems like you've been doing your homework on this one. Kudos! I have a 26BH which has some similarities to the model in question. I have the smaller top bunk with the wardrobe cabinet and I prefer it over the two doubles for a couple of reasons. Obviously the extra storage is a bonus. We store my son and daughter's clothing in there. We use collapse able bins and they each get a shelf. We can easily fit a weeks worth of clothes for both kids with room for books and stuffed animals too. It is also good because the kids can use the lower bunk as a step to get to the top bunk. When we purchased our dealer had a '14 with the two double bunks and it was awkward for my kids to get up and down from the top. Might not be an issue for older kids, but for little ones definitely something to consider

My TT came with the ladder, and I think it's a good feature. I've heard that if you don't get the ladder from the factory they don't put in the blocking in the wall to support it either. I don't think that the ladder would be a required option for me, but just be aware that adding one after the fact may be a hardship.

Good luck in your search for a new TT. Hope this was helpful.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #3

Having 2 teenage boys over 6' we have the double bunks and my 7 yo sleeps on the sofa. The pantry we dedicate 1 shelf to the boys clothes and have plenty of room for food with lots of space leftover. Dont know about the ladder blocking but as far as tv goes mine has a seperate mounting block on bedroom side. Flushing i just use the 45 clear flushing adapter and that seems to work well!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #4

Thank you both for your knowledge, anyone else please feel free to chime in!

Kiltdog, the more research I do, the less it appears that a ladder is an option on the Jay Flight Swift models. That's a shame, but certainly not a deal breaker. I like to hear that the wardrobe in the bunkroom is usable space. I also figured it would be easier for the kiddos to climb on the double bunk, then up to the smaller bunk. I could find a ladder, but that is one more thing to store and trip over.

Ryetye, my daughter is approaching 2 years old. I doubt she will be too tall. I am 6-04, my bride is 5-03. We have a son on the way, he might be taller. I can see the benefit of the wider bed for taller kids (sleeping diagonal for people not "blessed" with this problem). Looking at the pictures, I was concerned with lack of storage space. I'm glad that there appears to be sufficient space to store! I like that there is separate blocking for the TV in the bedroom. Is it against the back of the entertainment center or a wall?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

I'm in a 287BHBE. Not identical, but similar enough that the answers will be relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
How much air do the bunks get? We will have a 2.5 year old using the bottom bunk for now, possibly some cousins could join us soon too. We will need to put up some sort of curtain to block light into the bunks. I am concerned that there doesn't appear to be an AC duct immediately adjacent to the bunks.
Not enough. It really depends on where/how you camp, and how hot your kids sleep. Mine always seem to be cold when I'm comfortable, so it usually works out.

Quote:
It appears that it is standard for a regular bunk over a double bunk and optional for the double over double. What do you have, do you like it? Would you have change it if you could, and if so, why? I understand that the double over double increases sleeping capacity, but I don't intend to pack the camper full too often. I wonder if it is better to have the smaller upper bunk and the little wardrobe and make it easier to climb into the top bunk, or if it isn't worthwhile for the little wardrobe and the top bunk would be too small for growing kids.
The double/double was one of the reasons we went with the 287. Our kids are tall, and I didn't want to upgrade just for kids growing out of beds.

Quote:
The shoe "rack" under the tv console, is that useable space for shoes or is it just a photo op with tiny shoes?
The heel of my 12EEE hangs out, but the kids are completely hidden in there. Mine has another separate boot box, and we usually put adult shoes in there.

Quote:
The tv console looks horrible placed to watch from the sofa. We don't watch much tv while camping, but rainy days or quiet time might change that. Have people mounted a swivel arm so that the tv can be angled to be viewed better from couch?
It is. I prefer the flat mount for simplicity, but have since replaced it with an arm mount. Nobody likes a neck ache.

Quote:
Related note, I might want to hang the tv so it is viewable from the bedroom. I assume that the bracket location is accessible from both sides (bedroom and living room). Can anyone confirm or deny this theory?
I though the whole assembly rotated around to the bedroom.

Quote:
I am 6-04, the short queen is too small for me. On my current camper I replaced the plywood with a longer piece and installed a full length queen mattress. Is there 6" of space between the current short queen and the entertainment center wall so that I could put a full size mattress there?
I'm 6' even, and I felt the bed was too short, so I can only imagine. I just bought an Ikea 4" foam mattress, and threw it on. The original plan was to lengthen the plywood, but I find it holds itself up fine, and still leaves enough room to squeeze by without wrecking your shins.

Quote:
How do you use the "wardrobe" in the kitchen? Do you use it as a pantry or for clothing? For that matter, where do you store stuff like food and clothes?
We use ours for the kids hanging clothes on the rack, and the linens on the bottom.

Quote:
Tank draining/cleaning. On my current trailer I have a window in the bathroom. When I flush my tanks, we run a hose through the window to flush the toilet. This model doesn't have a window =(. My buddy has a 2014 MY trailer (can't think of make right now) and it has a specific city water hookup for tank flushing. How do you guys flush your tanks?
I have a door(the other option that made me choose the 287), but much of the time I just use the shower head to clean the toilet and flush the tank.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

Your model #267BHS has been discontinued for 2015. It is replaced by 26BHS. My niece had the same issue with the short queen and was able to use a regular queen in the space because you can access the bed from both sides. The television also swivels from living area to bedroom.

The rear ladder comes in with the elite package.

http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...-flight/26bhs/

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
Your model #267BHS has been discontinued for 2015. It is replaced by 26BHS.
Wow... big price jump from the 267BHS to the 26BHS... couple grand MSRP. Looks like its only available with the double over double bunks, but the freestanding table and chairs are an option.

I guess I won't be able to actually see a 267 at the Gettysburg RV show...
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Being discontinued you might be able to get a good deal on one! As far as the air goes, if you throttle down the centet vents it pushes more to the outside which will end up back to the return 0f the ac anyway! Cons, no heat vent in bathroom, no heated underbelly we camp at least once a month regardless of temp, and will be adding duct to underbelly this fall but use space heater for primary heat and leave furnace at coldest setting just to keep waterlines from freezing
"we do it in black pots"
Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Well, I made the mistake of researching the 26BHS in front of the bride. Looks like I might have to save a couple more dollars. I'm not sure if I am allowed to provide price quotes I have gotten from an online RV dealer, but they are right around 34% off MSRP of the 26BHS, that makes it about a $3000 difference in price.

The added features/options available on the 26BHS seem to us to be worth a $3000 upgrade price so far... Ladder, enclosed and ducted underbelly (we cold weather camped before kids, hope to continue when they get a little older), actual doors in the front bedroom, swivel TV stand, skylight, table and chairs instead of dinette that we never liked, etc etc.

Unless it is a screaming deal, chances are that the bride will "encourage" getting the 26BHS. We will look at what Jayco brings to the Gettysburg show in 2 months and go to our local Jayco dealer, I think they have a 267BHS on the lot, and compare them in person.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #10

Unless the deal was out of this world, I wouldn't buy the "Swift" model being that the line has been discontinued. Not that I think anything is wrong with the swift models, I just think resale on a no longer manufactured product line is going to take a hit. Plus I'm one the folks who happens to think the little extras on the JayFlight vs Swift are worth the money.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #11

We don't have this particular trailer but just to comment on the bunks... i really like double over double. The single bunks are SO narrow - I wouldn't like sleeping on it myself and I'm only 5'3". My kids are young (5, 2 and 1) and I would not have felt comfortable putting them on a single bunk. In our trailer I think the doubles are standard and they are only open at the ends, not the sides, so I am far less worried about them falling out.

Our TV is also basically perpendicular to the couch. It doesn't seem to bother the kids but we really only turn the TV on when we need to keep them occupied for a little while (eg set up, take down, one of us is cooking and one is showering or something)

as for storing clothing, I use the cupboard closest to the bathroom for my kids clothes. Right now I have 3 cube boxes from Ikea stacked up like shelving, each kid gets a box, and I fold their jackets on top.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #12

I've got a friend that bought a "brand x" on line and he ended up getting the same trailer he looked at in va delivered from Ohio to his front door for $18000 less than he could buy locally with 0% financing as well! Something to look into my next might go the same route as only a few local dealers here I trust!
"we do it in black pots"
Old 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #13

I have a 2013 267BHS and I Love it. There is anairvent in the back that keeps the back bunks nice and cool. The storage area under the entertaiententrrtaient center will accommodate 3-4 pair of shoes. I hung a fully adjustable TV bracket on the wall of tbe entrrtainment cntr that allows me to swing tne TV out and watch from the couch. Just make sure your bolts are the right length, I now get tbe stare at the end of the bolts from my bed...... There is a sticker on the wall in the bedroom tnat shows where to mount a bracket to the wall. It also has a cable port and power recepticles. I have no idea what the purpose of the rod in the pantry is for, you cant hang anything in there. I use that area to store food while camping. There is an exhaust fan in the bathroom that works very well while showering. I really enjoy my camper and feel like I got a great deal. I would NOT recommend more than 3 people at one time for extended pwriods if time, it will get tight. I am Military and we have had to live in our camper for two months whe we find a place to live. Four people is to much, two adults and two teenagers.....
Chrismil066 is offline   Reply With Quote