Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #1

26BH - First Trip Report and Thanks!

First off I want to say thank you to all who provided advice on different topics for our new 26BH. We went to Beavers Bend Park near Broken Bow, OK. Found a few accessories we need to purchase or forgot to buy however all were very minor. Enjoyed trout fishing, spending time in the wild and most importantly time with my family and not having to deal with unknowns of travel trailer issues that is thanks to you all. This was a very early trip in our life with the 26BH and every component seemed to work as expected (lights are part of the recall group so we just turned the off every so often to cool.)Some of the biggest items/explanations I received feedback on were Rhinoflex sewer hoses & details of how to dump, Oxygenics shower head, weight distribution setup, Samsung television & mount, having enough drinking water hoses, making a filtration device for fresh water, along with regulating water pressure. There are many more but having read so many posts truly made a difference. Happy & safe travels! Thank you!

Next on the list furrion wireless observation camera, ladder for the bunks, holders for some items to have a good home in the trailer while traveling.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mbpayne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Always good to have a fun maiden voyage.
I just took out my 24rbs last week and headed out again tomorrow.
Also trying to get Chief Financial Officer to approve the Furion camera :-)

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #3

Congrats on a successful first outing. Nice looking setup.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Congrats and enjoy many more! We love our 26BH!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

Brand new here but have been trolling a bunch of the rv sites asking a Ton of questions like you. Can you elaborate a bit more on your maiden voyage. What did you find the hardest parts of the trip? Any unexpected issues that came up? How did the TT feel on the open road and getting into the campground? I was at a local dealer today and almost pulled the trigger on a 2016 26bh but hesitated since it didn't have the elite package and it's something I wanted. I found one about 200 miles away that I plan on taking a look at soon. I really like the Jay's best from all that I have seen. They also seem to be a great value for a small family of four and have a nice layout.
What anti sway wd hitch do you guys recommend for the 26bh? I was looking at two possible options the easy lift 1000 and equalizer. Just wasn't sure if I needed the 1000bs or size smaller.

Thanks and congrats on a successful trip.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Brand new here but have been trolling a bunch of the rv sites asking a Ton of questions like you. Can you elaborate a bit more on your maiden voyage. What did you find the hardest parts of the trip? Any unexpected issues that came up? How did the TT feel on the open road and getting into the campground? I was at a local dealer today and almost pulled the trigger on a 2016 26bh but hesitated since it didn't have the elite package and it's something I wanted. I found one about 200 miles away that I plan on taking a look at soon. I really like the Jay's best from all that I have seen. They also seem to be a great value for a small family of four and have a nice layout.
What anti sway wd hitch do you guys recommend for the 26bh? I was looking at two possible options the easy lift 1000 and equalizer. Just wasn't sure if I needed the 1000bs or size smaller.

Thanks and congrats on a successful trip.
What did you find the hardest parts of the trip? High winds were one of the more difficult parts (up to 35 mph wind gusts) .. Even with my wdh I learned quickly with high winds that slowing down is important. Another part that would have been hard is if I had not practiced and set up the trailer multiple times prior to going on the maiden voyage... We got a late start due to children activities and did not arrive to the park until after dark however since I had set up multiple times everything was understood and where I expected it to be. Plan to spend more than you think on accessories to get ready for a smooth trip... Try to get as many of the recommendations on this site you can afford before the trip as it will make it more fun and less stressful.

Any unexpected issues that came up? Not really.. Since I read so many reviews here before leaving, created checklist (and used them) and pre-purchased so many items from the recommendations from this site I did not have much come up.

How did the TT feel on the open road and getting into the campground? Personally it felt great. My 16 GMC Sierra Denali did not blink an eye. I have the 6.2L engine and between it and the wdh the 1/2 ton did really well. The more I have driven it the more I am understanding how it will react. Along with practice parking it at our local church parking lot. One item I learned is that when you are looking to make tighter maneuvers removal of the wdh supports/posts makes moving the trailer around much better.

By the way I have made sure my first few planned trips are at full pull through sites to make that initial setup as minimal of an issue as possible. So far it seems to be working.

I also made sure to call the park ahead of time to verify which side my connections would be located before getting to my site just to make sure I knew which direction to come in from on the site.

What wdh did I purchase? I purchased the Husky XL wdh and it seems to be doing a great job for me. It installed right behind the propane tanks and pre prepped solar connection with no issues. Very heavy duty and no signs of issue to this point. Good luck on the purchases.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

Thanks for posting! You do know what I'm going to ask for next right?
It would be great to see your list of items you purchased for your maiden voyage and what you realized you might need going fwd. also if you don't mind elaborating or linking me with the water filtration system which I had not given any thought to at all!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Aha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for posting! You do know what I'm going to ask for next right?
It would be great to see your list of items you purchased for your maiden voyage and what you realized you might need going fwd. also if you don't mind elaborating or linking me with the water filtration system which I had not given any thought to at all!
All items below are to leave in the trailer 24/7 (no particular order of importance and some may argue you don't need all of these but my goal was to minimize issues with these purchases... Some items I may have already had as well) :
Lawn chairs
Mat/rug for under awning
Water filter device (Whirlpool bought from Lowes)
Male & Female connectors for filter device so garden hose will fit
2 - 25 ft white water hoses
1 - 25 ft hose for black flush and clean out
30 to 50 amp dogbone
15 to 30 amp plug converter
Samsung 28" tv
TV mount
6 ft coaxial cable
Dishes
Soaps
Sunscreen/bug repellent
Multiple underbelly totes for different areas
Coupler lock
Coupler pin lock
Husky wdh
Receiver lock
2nd plastic battery box
Negative battery cutoff switch and extra wire so I can quickly disconnect battery
2 - 10ft Rhinoflex sewer hoses (20ft kit)
Sewer line camco ground hold kit.
Scrub brush for top and front of trailer
Tools for trailer (large crescent, large channel locks, assorted ratchet sets, screw drivers)
Bit for lower and raising stabilizers
Stabilizer for entry steps
Rug covers for entry steps
4 ft level
Water pressure regulator
Two way brass water splitter
Electric supply surge protector
4 way lug wrench
Portable air compressor
Tire pressure gauge
Safety Items (first aid, led flares, caution cone, etc)
Chain lock for spare tire
Lego style leveling pads
Spare blocks of wood
Chock blocks
Cordless drill
Headlamps
Bed mattress pad (4" thick)
New bed covers and sheets
2 - 45 degree hose connects (stops hose from kinking)
Ladder for bunks
Spray nozzle for hose
Oxygenics Shower head replacement
Plastic plates, cups and utensils
Refrigerator rods for holding items in place while driving
Exhaust vent pillow
Bed pillows
12.5 ft collapsable ladder
Good rubber gloves
Sewer tank enzymes packets
5 gallon plastic bucket
Extra Fuses
Poncho/rain jacket
Replaced back bumper end covers with type that wasps can get into.
Command strips for hanging some items on walls.

I can't think of anything else right know but if I do I will add it later.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #10

Glad to hear your getting settled right in with your new 26BH!!! Nice looking TT & TV!

We are on our 2nd season with our '16 26BH Elite and love it. Love the layout for our family of 4.

In addition to the great list above, I'll through my 2 cents in.

Anderson levelers (2 sets). Fastest way to level side to side. Raises up to 4" - 4-1/2", just drive up them or back up them till your level.

I just put in the LevelMate Pro Blue tooth leveling system this season. I have two trips under my belt with it now and it compliments the Anderson levelers perfectly for setting up solo. It uses an app on your smartphone so you can see where your level without getting out of the truck or having a spotter. I mounted mine facing forward on the top left of the wall in the master bedroom near the curtain. Super simple install, load battery, two screws and download app on phone to set up. It also can remember the hitch position so you can put the hitch back to the right height to hook up.

I also carry a Blaylock EZ Jack EZ100 for changing out a tire. Fortunately I haven't had to use it yet! It's aluminum so it's very strong and not too heavy.

And lastly, I 2nd the Furrion High Speed Wireless Rear Observation System. Range is incredible and makes driving so much more relaxing knowing what's behind you going down the road and for changing lanes. Here is mine installed.

This is not a necessity, however, is a huge help to access the space in the middle of the cabinet over the queen bed, I ordered a matching door from the dealer and installed where the blank is.

I also put closetmaid shelving in the cupboards over the sink / couch and the dinette.

And lastly, the digital thermostat. It is a wire for wire swap out and holds temp within a couple of degrees versus the stock one which has big temp swings.

Happy Camping!!!

2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Glad to hear your getting settled right in with your new 26BH!!! Nice looking TT & TV!

We are on our 2nd season with our '16 26BH Elite and love it. Love the layout for our family of 4.

In addition to the great list above, I'll through my 2 cents in.

Anderson levelers (2 sets). Fastest way to level side to side. Raises up to 4" - 4-1/2", just drive up them or back up them till your level.

I just put in the LevelMate Pro Blue tooth leveling system this season. I have two trips under my belt with it now and it compliments the Anderson levelers perfectly for setting up solo. It uses an app on your smartphone so you can see where your level without getting out of the truck or having a spotter. I mounted mine facing forward on the top left of the wall in the master bedroom near the curtain. Super simple install, load battery, two screws and download app on phone to set up. It also can remember the hitch position so you can put the hitch back to the right height to hook up.

I also carry a Blaylock EZ Jack EZ100 for changing out a tire. Fortunately I haven't had to use it yet! It's aluminum so it's very strong and not too heavy.

And lastly, I 2nd the Furrion High Speed Wireless Rear Observation System. Range is incredible and makes driving so much more relaxing knowing what's behind you going down the road and for changing lanes. Here is mine installed.

This is not a necessity, however, is a huge help to access the space in the middle of the cabinet over the queen bed, I ordered a matching door from the dealer and installed where the blank is.

I also put closetmaid shelving in the cupboards over the sink / couch and the dinette.

And lastly, the digital thermostat. It is a wire for wire swap out and holds temp within a couple of degrees versus the stock one which has big temp swings.

Happy Camping!!!

Thanks for sharing I just ordered the Blaylock EZ and digital thermostat.. (In our first trip we noticed a little bit of a swing in the temps)... Where did you purchase the closetmaid shelving and do you remember what lengths and size your ordered... My trailer is back at storage so just curious as I would order if you had the details. Thanks Duke.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpayne74 View Post
Thanks for sharing I just ordered the Blaylock EZ and digital thermostat.. (In our first trip we noticed a little bit of a swing in the temps)... Where did you purchase the closetmaid shelving and do you remember what lengths and size your ordered... My trailer is back at storage so just curious as I would order if you had the details. Thanks Duke.

If I remember correctly I bought (2) 4' x 12" for over sink and (1) 6' x 12" for over dinette and I got them from Home Depot. They carry it right in stock as well as hardware to mount. I only used like 3/8" or 1/2" long screws though with the metal brackets. For the cabinet over the sink I made the split behind the blank panel between the two center doors. Shelves were a bit snug but not too bad. So much better utilization of space and light weight. Here are some detail pics of the install.

Cheers [emoji482]

Duke

2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #13

Wow I knew this was gonna get me into trouble. I still haven't narrowed down the exact unit I am buying and I'm already looking and buying mods for the TT I don't even have yet! Boys with their toys. 😂 I am very close though. I was holding out for a 2016 26bh elite but it's becoming very hard to find one so might just pull the trigger on a non elite that's really clean and priced right.

Great recommendations from both of you. Really like the backup cam and the Bluetooth leveling system. As far as the digi t-stat goes. I would assume any low voltage T-stat would work or does it have to be a special kind for rv-s only.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow I knew this was gonna get me into trouble. I still haven't narrowed down the exact unit I am buying and I'm already looking and buying mods for the TT I don't even have yet! Boys with their toys. 😂 I am very close though. I was holding out for a 2016 26bh elite but it's becoming very hard to find one so might just pull the trigger on a non elite that's really clean and priced right.

Great recommendations from both of you. Really like the backup cam and the Bluetooth leveling system. As far as the digi t-stat goes. I would assume any low voltage T-stat would work or does it have to be a special kind for rv-s only.
I am pretty sure you have to get the rv made type of digital thermostat... The RV version uses 12 volts dc and the normal thermostats like from Home Depot or Lowes use 24 volt AC. Plan to get the bluetooth level on a future order as well but already ordered the wireless camera, Blaylock EZ lift and the digital thermostat based on Dukes comments.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #15

26BH - First Trip Report and Thanks!

I have a 2016 SLX 264BHW. Same floor plan as the 26 BH. On top of everything mentioned above i also installed a folding metal cover over the stove to use for extra counter space.

Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #16

I see two different t-stats that look identical model 8530-348 on Amazon for $65 and 83303862 for $47 does either work? Not sure what the difference is.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I have a 2016 SLX 264BHW. Same floor plan as the 26 BH. On top of everything mentioned above i also installed a folding metal cover over the stove to use for extra counter space.

Nice one.. Where did you purchase the folding metal cover. I like the idea of the extra space.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
I see two different t-stats that look identical model 8530-348 on Amazon for $65 and 83303862 for $47 does either work? Not sure what the difference is.
I purchased the $47...83303862.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpayne74 View Post
Nice one.. Where did you purchase the folding metal cover. I like the idea of the extra space.

Amazon but I'm in Canada so the Canadian site. I'm sure the American site probably has the same one.

Camco 43554 RV Universal Fit Stove Top Cover (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000EDSSMA/..._ukLjzbPE2QDEF

Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Amazon but I'm in Canada so the Canadian site. I'm sure the American site probably has the same one.

Camco 43554 RV Universal Fit Stove Top Cover (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000EDSSMA/..._ukLjzbPE2QDEF

Found it.. Thanks.... Told the wife and she was all excited about that extra space.