Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
@ lagman... Whew !!!! thanks for that post.. Glad I wasn't the only one... We pulled the TT forwards, backwards, up, down.. Jumped on the hitch several times. NOTHING would get it to come off the ball.. At least I know how secure it will be going down the road...

@Ladywendolyn... Yep, we were going to do the same thing, but once the guy started up I realized very quickly that it just wouldn't have done any good.. He was one of the repairmen in the shop so while he may know how to fix them, he was not any good at showing how to use them...

2013 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2002 Yukon 5.3L Vortex w/tow package

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
I'm glad to hear that others had the same experience I had with our PDI and walk through. I didn't call my tech out on what he was telling me that was wrong, but I certainly kept a running tally in my head about what he was saying. It wasn't the major stuff, it was little stuff. Like he didn't know the TV has an articulating arm on the mount so it will swing out. I spent about 1/2 hour trying to get it to work before I finally found the nylon strap attached to the release. He told us to use "a couple ounces of the blue stuff" to treat our black tank, when the bottle clearly states in the instructions to use the entire bottle. He set up the L-brackets for the WDH on the tongue of the trailer at different heights. I knew that was wrong and when I questioned him about it, he said that's because the slide is on that side of the trailer and the brackets needed to be setup that way to compensate. I completely reconfigured the hitch based on the instructions from the manufacturer when I got home and fixed that little problem while I was at it. These are just the things that come to mind, I know there were other errors...

Good news is that it wasn't a total waste of time, he did have a few useful tidbits that were mostly true.

The only way I knew about all this stuff was because this forum was an integral part of my research for the 2 years I was shopping. By the time I got to the dealer, I had to teach the salesman a lot about our trailer, and I certainly didn't take anything he or the tech said to heart without doing my own research first. And I read the entire owner's manual cover to cover along with the documentation that came with all the other components.

Spending this much money on something, there's no way I was going in blind, and I feel sorry for the people who don't do their research. If I hadn't known anything and depended on the tech and salesman for all my information, we probably would have sold our trailer by now. I would much rather learn something the easy way than the hard way...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote