Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #1

26bh queen bed

I am 6'2" and my feet stick out of the queen bed of my 26BH.
Wondering if any taller people have modified the bed to accommodate this.
I am wondering if a longer mattress would work by itself or if it needs a longer plywood as well.
Chomperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #2

We replaced the factory mattress with a regular queen size mattress. It does make the space between the foot of the mattress and the wall pretty tight, but it's worth it. It's also MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE! The mattress overhangs the plywood about a foot or so. My project for today is to add a little more length to the plywood underneath the mattress. It isn't really necessary for supporting the mattress, but it will make it much easier to raise the mattress to get to the under bed storage.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #3

I'm 6'4 and sleep on a short queen in my trailer. Although my feet do hang off the end of the bed a bit, I don't mind it. It's pretty much what I've gotten used to in any bed I sleep in lol. One thing I did order was the Perfect Harmony 4 inch topper from campingworld.com, and that should be arriving any day now. I agree the stock mattress isn't the greatest for comfort. My wife and I did sleep on the fold down dinette one night when my parents were camping with us - now THAT was tight!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

26bh queen bed

If you dont want to buy a longer mattress, get you a block of foam the thickness of your current mattress and insert it between the headboard and current mattress. I use a four inch thick and that works for me. When you wake and make the bed just remove said block then you can walk around bed. Hope this helps.
Robert
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
If you dont want to buy a longer mattress, get you a block of foam the thickness of your current mattress and insert it between the headboard and current mattress. I use a four inch thick and that works for me. When you wake and make the bed just remove said block then you can walk around bed. Hope this helps.
Robert
This is simply brilliant! If it weren't such a tight squeeze around the end of my bed as it is, this is exactly what I would do. And I would probably just replace the plywood that is already there (probably with a thicker piece since I'd be in there anyway) so that at least some of the extra length would be supported.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #6

I built a box to go at the foot of the bed to support the longer mattress. It is the same height as the board the mattress is on. Then I proceeded to put a full size residential queen in our 26BH. Being 6'6", this was the best thing I ever did. It made it a tight squeeze to walk around the bed, but sooooooo worth it!!
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Why not just insert the foam just before retiring for the night? Then things are not so squishy during the day..

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #8

Has anybody tried replacing the short mattress with full size foam mattress? Wondering if there is any support issues with that.
Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
Chomperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomperoni View Post
Has anybody tried replacing the short mattress with full size foam mattress? Wondering if there is any support issues with that.
Thanks for all your suggestions so far.
We have a temperpedic at home and love it. We will get some type of foam for the camper for next season. The upgraded pillow top that came with our camper is horrible..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
We have a temperpedic at home and love it. We will get some type of foam for the camper for next season. The upgraded pillow top that came with our camper is horrible..
This is right on. I don't know what part of that mattress they consider "upgraded", but I can't imagine what the standard is like. That foam topper will be the best mod you'll do.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

I struggled with discomfort the first few times out camping on our mattress. We put a cheapo Wally world topper and I thought there was no way it would make any difference - I was surprised! It made the mattress tolerable. Not comfortable, but tolerable. I always get home and lay in my air chamber (sleep number knock-off) and say how much I missed my bed. It was probably a $20-$30 topper and pretty thin but really helped.
oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Camper_bob we have the same unit, I did upgrade the mattress to a pillow top and it was horrible, tossed and turned woke up in the morning with a sore back, my wife found a 4.5 inch foam topper form Kohls for about $150 and I get a great sleep now, the topper was a great mod :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is right on. I don't know what part of that mattress they consider "upgraded", but I can't imagine what the standard is like. That foam topper will be the best mod you'll do.
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Camper_bob we have the same unit, I did upgrade the mattress to a pillow top and it was horrible, tossed and turned woke up in the morning with a sore back, my wife found a 4.5 inch foam topper form Kohls for about $150 and I get a great sleep now, the topper was a great mod :-)
Yup. I knew we were going to get a foam topper when we bought the trailer, but I thought we would wait a while (being that we dropped a chunk on buying the silly thing and there were other "accessories" I thought were more important). The first night on the stock "pillowtop" was absolutely horrific; shoulders, hips back, knees... All excruciating. I felt like I had just hiked the Davis Mountains the next morning.

That was the only night on the stock mattress, the topper immediately moved to the tippy top of the priority list of "accessories". Got one from Wally World and haven't looked back, it was worth every penny and then some.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV