Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

26BH vs 28BHS

Greetings...

New member here... Just put up an intro post in the new member section.

My wife and I are just starting to look at TTs. Like what we see in the Jayco line better than most of the others we've looked at. Just seems to be a good bit of value for the price with this brand.

We're currently focused on either the 26BH and the 28BHS. As "S" usually denotes a slider in the Jayco line, I'm assuming it has one. Based on the pictures in the company's website, I'm not completely sure. If it has a slider at all, it's just a foot or so at the sofa. Is that correct?

Also, one reservation I had about the 26BH is that the Queen bed was a 'short queen' and I'm not all that short at 6'3". Is the bed in the 28 a regular Queen or is it a shorty, too?

Thanks!

Bruce
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners' Forum, Bruce.

You may be right on both counts. The "queen" bed in our 29RLS is slightly shorter than a normal queen bed, so I would guess that the queen beds in both the 26BH and the 28BHS are also "shortys".

I checked the floorplans on the Jayco site and it appears that the only slide on the 28BHS is the cabinet above the sofa.

If you don't have a local dealer who can answer your questions, give Jayco corporate headquarters a call.

Best of luck on your search for a travel trailer.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

Hi Merlonspop and welcome to the Jayco Owners forum! We have the 29bhs... it's nice to have the jack-n-jill bunk as we have grandkids. G2 is nice because it has standard much of what the non G2 has.

My son-in-law is 6'9" (yup, a monster tall!) and only really fit on the couch that we folded down into a bed.... he really hung over, but would fit no where else. Not sure that this helps... sorry. Happy shopping though
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #4

The queen bed in my 2003 27BH was short. I am only 5'10" and my feet were near the end.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #5

Welcome!

I have a 2009 25bhs jay flight. Mine has a queen bed that does take standard queen sheets but it has entertainment center starts directly at end of bed so It may be a bit short for you. I noticed on the floor plans on jayco's web site it looks like you can walk around the end of the bed but in reality you can't,
I have a door way on each side of the bed, However we have the full slide out for couch and dinette and it gives you a nice roomy feeling plus for the taller guests the couch has an air bed which is quite large to fit the taller person. I have a family of five and I highly recommend the Jayco. Took it out this past weekend everything ran great! Plus its better made and has a lot more storage than the others we looked at. Best of luck in you search.
lciancola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #6

Welcome to the club!

I have a 2019 - 264BH (no slides). I spent 50+ days camping during the last 6 months. Arrived home to PA just as the pandemic started!
My queen bed is short and I am 6’ 1”. Little or no hangover but the first thing you should do with either unit is brace the bed or after a few months you may be sleeping a lot closer to your better half that expected due to the plywood sagging. I also put a 3” piece of memory foam under the mattress. Slept like a baby from that point forward.
IrishSettler
Attached Thumbnails
9887E261-77C8-4C8E-8414-2307626B838C.jpg  
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSettler View Post
I have a 2019 - 264BH (no slides). I spent 50+ days camping during the last 6 months. Arrived home to PA just as the pandemic started!
My queen bed is short and I am 6’ 1”. Little or no hangover but the first thing you should do with either unit is brace the bed or after a few months you may be sleeping a lot closer to your better half that expected due to the plywood sagging. I also put a 3” piece of memory foam under the mattress. Slept like a baby from that point forward.
IrishSettler
X2 on that.
They should all come from factory better supported.
Peter Soares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

It looks to me that you have the same slide as we do in our 28BHBE--about 13 ft. long I believe.

Our Queen bed is the short queen at 75 inches long. I'm only 5'9" and my wife is shorter yet so no issue for us.

But the Queen in the 28 BHS appears to be a full Queen at 80 inches long
KidAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #9

Bruce
We just purchased a 2020 28BHS. The slide definitely adds space and if you have 3 or 4 on most camping trips its worth the expense. The queen bed is 60" X 80". We actually purchased a higher quality mattress and replaced the one that came with the unit. It fir fine. Taller than OEM mattress but not an issue.
Good luck
Mike
Mike_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #10

Like Mike_B we also have a newer 28BHS. Ours is a 2019 but basically the same as the 2020, just different color scheme I think.

The slide adds a good amount of extra space. The dinette and the couch are in the slide and it moves out a good 3~4 feet. Basically puts the end of the dinette inline with the door to the front bedroom. Very roomy.

The bed is a full queen, not a shorty. At 6'6" this was very important to me. Like most of the Jayco designs the frame support needs a bit of extra help to keep the bed from sagging. Pretty easy to do with a handfull of nails/screws and some 2x3 or 2x4.

I ultimately chose the 28BHS for the layout. I like having the couch across from the TV and I don't like the entry door that comes in between the front bedroom and the kitchen. Really pinches down the amount of counter space in the kitchen. The 28BHS has the entry door further back by the bunks with a separate entry to the front bedroom. All these layout characteristics made it the easy choice for me. Not many models have this layout.
Tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #11

26BH vs 27BHS

yes the BHS mean Bunk House Slide.
I almost bought a 26 BH because I originally wanted something without a slide due to maintenance issues in future. The company didn't have one on their lot so I ordered "Site Unseen".
In the Spring I went to a dealer Spring Opening Seminar and they had a 26 BH on the lot for another customer. Right next to it was a 27BHS. They let me walk in both to compare
After I actually the got inside the 26BH I saw how cramped it would be to have a dog in there while my wife cooked. I cancelled my order and bought the 27BHS and am sooo happy I got something bigger!

After 3 years of camping I finally ordered a new mattress topper from Costco. The original mattress started breaking down at the end of the 2nd year. The 3" Gel Topper makes a huge difference. My bed is the full 80" x 60"

Good luck with your decision

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #12

The 28BHS that I have is a different floor plan than the present 28BHS. The original floor plan with single entrance and couch across from the dinette (my floor plan) was made until 2015. The 28BHS title was not used for 2016 and 2017 floor plans. It came back in 2018 with the new floor plan, double entrance doors and some other changes.