Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #1

26bh without thermal pkg or is it worth the wait?

We currently have a Jayco hybrid that has issues with the floors being soft due to the foam in between the luan becoming compressed. It is supposed to return to Jayco in the fall for repairs under warranty but we have been thinking of trading it in for a 2014 26bh. Our dealer has one arriving soon with all the options and the colour we like but no thermal pkg which was something we were thinking of as additional protection for the floor. We can order one with the TP and it will take approx 6 wks so we can use our hybrid in the mean time. Is the thermal pkg a benefit? We are in Ontario Canada we typically camp May to our thanksgiving (Oct). We live in the country so a little worried about the enclosed under belly being a hiding spot for mice etc. We hope to keep this trailer for at least the next 6 yrs hopefully longer. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #2

The thermal package is the one option I don't have. I wanted it, but like you, the unit on the lot didn't have it and we didn't want to order so we went for it. I don't miss it. We have camped into the very low 40s with no issues. Never in freezing temps, but I wouldn't want to camp in that weather anyway.

The enclosed underbelly was the feature I really wanted. I saw it as additional rodent protection, even considered adding it myself. Never did that, and now 2 years later there have been a few instances I was happy to not have to remove it to work on things.

IMO, if you aren't camping in the extreme heat or extreme cold you don't need the thermal package. Our AC and furnace have no issues keeping our 26BH comfortable.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

I have the thermal package. I think it will help both in late fall camping and hot summer camping. But I dont think it offers rodent protection. I think it makes it more attractive for rodents, especially mice. Just have to make sure you you check any place a gas hose or valves and vents pass through to make sure they are not getting in on a regular basis.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryKim View Post
We currently have a Jayco hybrid that has issues with the floors being soft due to the foam in between the luan becoming compressed. It is supposed to return to Jayco in the fall for repairs under warranty but we have been thinking of trading it in for a 2014 26bh. Our dealer has one arriving soon with all the options and the colour we like but no thermal pkg which was something we were thinking of as additional protection for the floor. We can order one with the TP and it will take approx 6 wks so we can use our hybrid in the mean time. Is the thermal pkg a benefit? We are in Ontario Canada we typically camp May to our thanksgiving (Oct). We live in the country so a little worried about the enclosed under belly being a hiding spot for mice etc. We hope to keep this trailer for at least the next 6 yrs hopefully longer. Thanks.
I noticed in your RV.net post you said "The trailers without the pkg have the black Darco on the underside with the tanks on top". I have a 2013 26BH and the underbelly is enclosed with a black plastic material.. I always assumed I had the thermal package otherwise the underbelly wouldn't be enclosed at all. How do you know if you have it or not?
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #5

I think if you see the tanks you don't have the thermal pkg. The Darco is between the floor and the tanks and looks like black tarp material. I looked at a 33 ft Jay Flight with the thermal package and it had a black corrugated material called coroplast covering everything, I could not see the tanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

We had the same choice to make. Take the one without now, or order one with and wait 8-10 weeks. We chose to order one and wait. I figured it would help with resale, and now if I'm ever freezing in the trailer, I can't say "If only I hadda got the thermal package!" I think it was worth the wait...
5.3L V8 3:73 Husky Centerline Hitch
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #7

We had the same issue - get a 2013 28DSBH without the Glacier Package, or wait 8 weeks for one that did. We chose to wait. It's not that I expect the Astrofoil to have a massive difference in the experience, but I figured that if I'm spending this much on a new Jayco, I shouldn't have regrets later on about not having the option. It's absolutely personal and whichever way you choose, I hope you end up enjoying your camper as much as we enjoy ours.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Our 28BHS does not have the thermal package or enclosed underbelly. Camped down to 24*F at night comfortably. Of course camping in continuous cold weather would be a problem with tanks freezing, but I`m not going to do that anyways. Have never had a mouse in the unit and we live next to a field so they are here.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I appreciate the help. I think we will wait the 6 wks and order the trailer with the thermal pkg. I thinking having the floor issue with the 19h has made us look it as an extra layer of protection, plus all the heating and cooling benefits it will provide over time. Thanks again for the help with our decision making process. Kim
Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

Hi don't have the thermal package but wondering what comes on it
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #11

IIRC, it's a layer of foil in the roof and maybe floor too. As well as corrugated plastic on the underside of the TT, enclosing the tanks, and a heater register in the enclosed underbelly to help keep tanks from freezing.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote