Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

26BHS Bunk Bed Temps

Hey everyone,

I have a 26BHS and the kids are complaining that the temp in the bunk area is hot although the temp in the RV itself is cold (AC running). Curious if anyone has worked anything out to even out the temp in the bunk area. I clipped on a fan, but the one I have doesn't point exactly right. Perhaps a fan recommendation that will clip on and point right or an ingenious duct method from the overhead AC vents to get air directly into the bunks?

On a similar note, any recommendations on a cooling pad for the short queen? I'm hot, the better half is cold. You know how it goes..

Thanks-
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

I have seen a few others with the same complaint about the bunk area being hot and my kids also had the same complaint last year. Over the winter, I added some foam board insulation to the rear cargo area to help with the issue but it hasn't been hot enough to test the modification.

Try to keep the rear cargo door closed to keep the outside heat outside. I also purchased this fan to put on the vanity sink to point toward the bunk area at night. Amazon.com - Honeywell Whole Room Air Circulator Floor/Table Fan, HT-908 -
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the smaller Honeywell HT900 to see if I could place the bottom under the mattress to secure it and have the actual fan just above it. Has anyone tried securing a fan to a wall? I've been tentative about doing that simply do to the thickness of the wall and having it pulled out easily or going through the other side of a wall.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #4

Use a stud finder to find the wall studs . If you hit one, you could probably put two screws in vertically. I believe the wall studs are 2x2's so they should hold a small fan.

You maybe on to something with the fan under the mattress. Another option would be making a large "C" shaped stand from ply or 1xs the width of the fan's base and place lower section under under the mattress.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #5

That's one of the reasons we went with the separate bunk room. Bunkbeds like that are closed in and have poor air circulation. If you close the curtains due to little ones, it limit the circulation even more.

The best solution is fans in each individual bunk. If you have the room and ability, a fan up high in the back of the bunk will push out the hotter air and pull in cooler air underneath.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote