Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

26rks with bunk option or 28 BHS??

Hello,
We are new to the travel trailer world and have narrowed down our search to the Jayflight 28 BHS or the 26 rks with bunk option. Does any one have a 26rks with bunks? If so, how to you like the function and placement of the bunks, etc? We have 3 kids ages 8 mo to 4. Thanks for any input on either unit!
Cbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

I do not have either. But looking at the floor plans and you mentioning having 3 kids, I would have some concerns about the 26TKS, with the bunk beds replacing the dinette. So on rainy days, where would you eat, play games, etc. Not to mention if the little one(s) needs to go to bed, and the rest want to stay up for a while. In the 28BHS, the kids can crawl into bed rest and play, still have a place eat on those rainy days.

If you have a dealer near you, I would recommend stopping in and look at both trailers really closely. Ditch the sales person and dig through both trailers to see where you would put your stuff, and think about how you would use it.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preferences. But for the long term the 28BHS might fit your family longer.

Congratulations on your first post.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #3

Very good advice above... you need to really think of how you (and most importantly the kids) will use the space.

We have the 28BHS so I will tell you what we like about it (and we have two kids under the age of three)

We built a custom "baby gate" for the double bed at the back so that it basically becomes a giant playpen. It is really great for putting kids down for naps as you can also close the curtain to the main living space and be able to come and go and not disturb them. It is also great at bedtime as well, to have that large bed for them to play with a few toys/books and get quiet for sleeping. I should actually post a photo of that gate in the mods section sometime. It just fastens with some childproof eye-hooks. For now the upper bunk just gets used for storage.. but one day one of the kids will move up there.

We also like the sofa & dinette configuration, where you can sit at the dinette and converse with people across from you on the sofa. We have an inexpensive plastic folding chair from IKEA that we store behind the sofa and place it at the head of the table with a high chair attachment at meal times.

We love the kitchen in this trailer as well. The L-shape gives some much needed counterspace and there is tonnes of overhead cabinetry in this floorplan.

I do believe you can get this floorplan with double bed-over-double bed as bunks which would be great for 3 kids. Ours has the single-over-double which gives an extra cupboard.

All in all very pleased with this layout. Next trailer will have a bunkroom, once they are teens ;-)
Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

IMO 3 kids + 2 Bunks w/ limited wardrobe space = Quick upgrade to next TT

We like our 26BH but it's getting tight, bought it with 2 kids now we have 3 (6 mths, 4 and 7). For us the 3rd kid means more stuff on each trip with no good place to keep it, and converting a bed each night. Our TT, like the ones you are looking at, IMO really don't accommodate families larger than 4 or a regular basis. If I was you I'd pass on either floor plan and find one with 3 or 4 bunks. We didn't want to go longer than 30' but now we are seriously looking at 29 QBH.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #5

When I read your post, it took me back 8 months ago when my family was making the exact same decision...the 26RKS or the 28BHS. We chose the 26RKS and never looked back. We LOVE the GIANT bar/dinette that this plan offers. This is a great place to play games, kids can color, watch TV (from couch, table or bunks) and it still provides lots of space for cooking/eating preparations at meal time. The floor area is great because this camper has the full slide. We only have 1 toddler and if we had 3 kids, I would most definitely go with this camper over the 28BHS. We went on our very first trip and the family that joined us had just purchased the 28BHS. After a week in our camper I went over for a visit and after being in the 28BHS I knew without a doubt we had made the right decision. The slide is not a full slide which makes for cramped space on a rainy day or while everyone is trying to get ready to go for the day or return for bed in the evening. While I think this camper would be okay for my family of 3, a family of 5 would probably start to feel crowded since the floor space in this camper is limited. Even with a few baby/toddler toys, you will be tripping over everyone to get to the bathroom. Now with all of that said, 3 kids and two bunks makes for a likely new camper purchase in your near future. You may want to try to find a bunkhouse option. Just my 2 cents. Happy Camping!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it! We would love the 29 bunk house but it would max out our TV. We looked at both units side by side last night and had the whole family along. We decided on the 26rks with bunks. Love the huge seating area, rear kitchen and open feel. Campingdog, I hope we love ours as much as you love yours! We can't wait to take it out Thanks again and happy trails.
Cbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbiggs View Post
Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it! We would love the 29 bunk house but it would max out our TV. We looked at both units side by side last night and had the whole family along. We decided on the 26rks with bunks. Love the huge seating area, rear kitchen and open feel. Campingdog, I hope we love ours as much as you love yours! We can't wait to take it out Thanks again and happy trails.
Congrats!!!! I know you will really like the amount of storage this unit has. I can't say enough about all of the deep drawers, closet and kitchen storage! Post pics of your first trip! My DH says you will find the double grey tanks a huge bonus! Best wishes!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

Welcome to the JOF Cbiggs! Congrats on the new 26rks! Let us know how the maiden voyage goes
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote