Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

27bhs bunk rails

So a few days ago I picked up a 2018 jay flight 27bhs, anyone have a way to attach a rail to the bunk beds? 1 side of the wall is curve n they don't seem to line up.

Overall I love the camper but jayco has to do a better job on the finishing details. Too much excess silicone and caulking
Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
So a few days ago I picked up a 2018 jay flight 27bhs, anyone have a way to attach a rail to the bunk beds? 1 side of the wall is curve n they don't seem to line up.

Overall I love the camper but jayco has to do a better job on the finishing details. Too much excess silicone and caulking
Jayco must have changed the floor plan. My 27BHS barely has enough room to climb in and out of the bunk. No rails necessary but I did have to come up with a ladder solution.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
Jayco must have changed the floor plan. My 27BHS barely has enough room to climb in and out of the bunk. No rails necessary but I did have to come up with a ladder solution.
Hi fdhealy4,

What did you do for your ladder solution?
27BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27BHS View Post
Hi fdhealy4,

I don't have pictures but here is a list of items. I'm leaving early in the morning to go camping. When I get back I'll take a picture if you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I forget what size the ladder is. There are four choices on the link above. I'll measure it when I get back too. Oops, I just noticed the ladder is no longer available. I'll try and find a similar ladder when I get back. Get back to you on Monday.

Dale
Old 07-24-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27BHS View Post
Hi fdhealy4,

Here are the pictures of what I did.

This is a shot of the ladder in position for use. The slanted design with wide treads is great for kids or adults that want to get up there to sort out the bedding. As you can see you wouldn't want to leave it there when using the TT so I just lean it up against the wall that you can see on the left hand side of the picture. Here is the link to purchase the ladder *BASIC WOOD BUNK OR LOFT BED LADDERS -. I used the "regular size".

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170721_184140 (675x1200).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	33386

Here is the hook that I selected https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The round end prevents damage to the top bunk floorboard when it rests on it. Don't use the brackets that come with the ladder.

Name:	20170721_184218 (675x1200).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	33388

Here is a picture showing how the hook sets on the bunk floorboard. Notice it does not contact the trim piece so it doesn't get damaged.

Name:	20170721_184236 (675x1200).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	33387

PM me if you want to try this mod and need some help. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the pictures within the forum. If someone would help me with that I will rotate them.

Dale
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #6

I bought one on amazon... a light weight one and then cut it down to size sheet it is almost straight up and down to reduce how much it hangs out. I will post a picture when I get back to the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Claytonbwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonbwn View Post
I bought one on amazon... a light weight one and then cut it down to size sheet it is almost straight up and down to reduce how much it hangs out. I will post a picture when I get back to the trailer.

Here is the picture of my bunk rails.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #8

Clayton, did your ladder already have the hooks on the top? I've been looking on amazon and nothing seems to look close to the same as yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #9

Here is the one I bought. Yes, it had the hooks on it. The hooks should only be to keep the ladder from falling backwards. You don't want to put any weight on that face or it will pull it right off. This ladder I had to trim about 6 inches off to get it just right. The little rubber feet just pull off, I cut it then put the feet back on. I got it 60" so that i cpuld customize it.

The cool part is the ladder will slide between the thermostat and the slide out so it is our of the way.

Stromberg Carlson (LA-460-B) Black 60" Bunk Ladder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HET17RK..._VFoEzbAFBH3MW