Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #1

287BHSW Flight SLX and F150

I'm well versed in the payload game, and lived the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 vs. 1 ton game before, but I'm kind of in a quandary.
I expect the tongue weight of any trailer to easily exceed the posted weight by 200# minimum, but in our Flight G3 32BHDS, the front storage was littered with stuff that got lost over the years, and had no other place to go due to no storage space.
The 287BHSW we are looking at seems a bit different. Anything we would store up front can easily go in the rear storage under the back bunk. This should offset some tongue weight. Our cooler and heavy items, typically go in the bathroom, behind the rear axle, keeping weight off the tongue as well. I use a Sherline scale religiously, so I think I should be up to speed in shifting weight, while keeping the tongue in the 10-15% weight range.
Does anybody on the Forum Tow this breadbox with their 1/2 ton? It's not as heavy as the popular Jay Flight 28BHBE, but I expect we'll pull 6,500# loaded. I have a 2016 EcoBoost Supercrew with the Max Tow package, and have 1,600 pounds of payload. While I will be pushing the limit, it will only be for a year or two, and our camping will be limited, except for a trip out to the Dakotas the DW wants to take this summer while the kids are still home. I'm trying to avoid wasting money on a light 4,200# hybrid only to sell it in a couple years after the kids are gone. I'd like to make due with the current F150 pulling the 287BHSW Flight SLX for a year or two instead of taking the hit now. It's my daily driver, but knowing the payload game, I want to eventually move to an F350.
Looking for thoughts and experiences. Thanks.
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #2

I have the 2016 F150 Platinum SuperCrew with ecoboost and max tow package and pull our 265RLSW just fine with it. Our weights are very similar. Ours is 6,100lbs empty and tongue weight runs about 800lb. We are light travelers but are planning a much longer trip so expect to be well loaded up on an upcoming trip. I've been round and round the towing, load capacity specs (lots of help here) etc and feel good about the match. The ecoboost will pull it without any problem. Plenty of power. I've not towed it through any mountains areas yet but find that I can easily accelerate uphill from a dead stop and the engine braking assist feature hasn't given me any uneasy moments while trying to stop it. I have had to lock it up once (stalled car in front of me) and it stopped shorter than I expected it would from full speed. The load capacity is well within the specs for the hitch and we are still under the total payload capacity when fully loaded. I had the 2014 model at first and had a fair amount of front end drift feel before I saw the light and realized I was at the max, likely just over, for payload cap for that model. Moving to the 2016 model made all the difference. I've since learned the importance of reading the door stickers for load and towing info before buying a truck vs the web site or the salesman.

I'm still practicing with the backup assist feature. Let me know if you get the hang of being comfortable with it vs doing it yourself.

There are those that insist a 3/4 ton is a better match and they are likely correct but, 95% of the time my truck is used for around town driving and light hauling. It's a perfect match for that for my wife and I and a good match for pulling the trailer. Net, I'm very pleased with it.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

You are correct that the 28BHBE is a bit heavier, but they have similar floor plans and by placing heavy stuff in the front pass through, you can dramatically increase your tongue weight.

The Eco will have more than enough power to pull and your trailer brakes will stop the trailer. Get a good WD hitch with anti-sway and set it up properly which will give you stability while towing. IMHO, there is nothing better on the market than the Propride/Hensley hitches. They are expensive, but will be worth every penny while you are towing heavy. You can also add airbags and LT tires which will further assist with load distribution and stability.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

I think that combo should be fine as long as you are careful of what you are packing. Even maxed out at 7500lbs and 15% tongue weight you are still only at 1125lbs on the tongue which is probably fine with your truck as long as you aren't full of passengers too.

1600lbs isn't a lot of payload if you have a few grown children along.

One thing I will point out is that most travel trailers typically like 13-15% tongue weight. They pull much better in my opinion around that level rather than the 10-12% range.

I would guess that you will be closer to 7000lbs loaded based on the 6005lbs dry weight. This will likely be 6200-6300lbs delivered and then your stuff all adds up pretty quickly. So 7000lbs and 13% tongue weight will put you around 910lbs on the tongue, leaving roughly 700lbs for passengers and a good WDH. Having a tongue weight scale will help for sure to pin that down. So as long as your hitch and passengers don't add up to over 700lbs you are good as far as the number go.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

I pull a SLX 2 feet shorter than yours with a F150 5.0 engine.
Pulls fine and is stable and feels solid.

Another 100 HP or foot pounds of torque would be nice but it is what it is.

Zero urge to go out and spend $40+ K on a more powerful truck to get another 10 mph up a grade.
redsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
snip.... Our cooler and heavy items, typically go in the bathroom, behind the rear axle, keeping weight off the tongue as well. I use a Sherline scale religiously, so I think I should be up to speed in shifting weight, while keeping the tongue in the 10-15% weight range.....snip
I think you will find that targeting the 13% - 15% weight range will be preferred for ideal TV handling of the 34ft long 287BHSW.

I agree, the Sherline scale is a handy product (I use one as well).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #7

We are pulling a 267BHSW with the 2015 3.5 Ecoboost. I have the 6800GVWR package which gives me a little over 1700#'s of payload. More than enough power and payload capacity. Trailer pulls great. A high quality WDH is a must.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

This is a very similar situation to what we encountered last season.

We bought a 287BHSW based on the "tow ratings" of our Tundra.

We are absolutely in love with the camper, as it's an awesome floor plan for a family.

We had a Toyota Tundra double cab with the 5.7. The truck had no problem pulling the trailer and it felt stable enough for sure. We towed the camper about 6 times last season.

We tow with an equalizer WDH and had no problems at all whatsoever.

I felt like we were way too close, or over the payload limits, with 2 kids, gear and a 110# German Shepherd on board. I thought about this constantly while towing (with the family totally unaware).

The 287BHSW is a big trailer for a half ton. That 30'+ X 11'+ tall box going down the highway is a lot of mass.

We didn't want to worry about being so close to capacity anymore and upgraded to a 3/4 ton to be safe.

I never had any close calls with the 1/2 ton, but I knew I was at the upper limits with it.
Based on everything I've read on this awesome forum, it should be a much different towing experience with the 3/4 ton this season.

You should be OK with that setup - if your're not towing it all the time.

The 3/4 is my full time vehicle as well.
It's a GMC and I'm in love with it.

GMC Sierra 2500HD
287BHSW (original)
X213 (current)
Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
Saturn V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

Your problem will not be brakes or power. That is a nice big and tall sail behind you and with a good side or cross wind the half tons are a bit on the light side. You will be constantly correcting. You will definitely feel the wind pushing you. I towed a 28BHBE with a 2015 SuperCrew 3.5 EB with maxtow. Without wind mine towed great, but I added better rear shocks, airbags and e-rated tires. Mileage is also not great, but similar to the V8 with that weight. I even saw 10mpg at on one section, but average around 8.1 to 8.5mpg. What size tank do you have? I had the 36 gallon tank so it was not to bad.
Blue Ox Sway pro
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

We are going to look at trailers this weekend. I walked through the payload, and with the four of us, I have 640 pounds left. I'll need a trailer with 400# posted tongue weight, and then it'll be sketchy if it will come in under 640#. I was hoping to get through for a year, but I might be looking at used 1 ton trucks, too.
I have an Equalizer 1,400# ready to use, from our 32BHDS. While I'd prefer an Arrow or Propride, I can't justify the cost when I plan on a 1 ton truck sometime in the next year or two, and won't really need it.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #11

We have the same RV with a Toyota Tundra 5.7L towing with the Anderson load leveling hitch. Pulls with no issues at all.
alcain4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #12

The dry tongue weight of the 2017 287BHSW is published as 645 pounds. That's, as you're well aware, before trailer cargo/water, propane and the battery. The Equalizer 1400 is going to weigh in the neighborhood of 100 pounds. Your estimated packed weight of 6500 pounds for the trailer would give a tongue weight of 650-975 pounds (10-15%). Tongue weight at 12.5% gives you 812 pounds plus your 100 pound hitch, putting you at 912.

1600 pounds of available payload minus the 912 tongue/hitch gives you 688 left for the family and an empty bed.

I think Ford already factors in a full tank of gas and a 150 pound driver. Everything else has to come off of that 1600 pounds. 688 minus your weight allowance, the wife and two kids might only leave you with 290-340 pounds. That's pretty close, not to mention your rear axle weight rating is going to be pretty close too.

I ran through the same exact numbers with my set up last season. I never went to a CAT scale but know we travel with more than 6500 with the trailer. Groceries, clothes, towels, linens, charcoal, dog food and everything else a family drags with them adds up fast.

The yellow sticker on our 287 shows it at 6203 pounds before cargo or water. This weight includes full propane.

As I mentioned earlier, I never felt any problems when towing with the Tundra. I just knew I was too close to the upper limits and didn't want to abuse the truck or shorten its service life. I also didn't want to risk an issue with my family and other families on the road. A half ton can do it, but I like to have a little more cushion.

GMC Sierra 2500HD
287BHSW (original)
X213 (current)
Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

You are all over it Saturn.
I'm going to scale the rig this weekend with me, the DW, and the two thunder chickens. I forgot the numbers Ford has included the 150# driver.

Weird that the GVWR is 7050#, but the sum of the RGAWR (3800#) and the FGAWR (3600#) come up 150# short of the 7050. Shouldn't the sum of the rear and front axles match the GVWR? The truck doesn't drive itself. If both axles are at max, and I set my 150# butt in the saddle, both axles will be over their gross immediately, yet I am still at the GVWR. Proof the ratings are likely a percentage of what they can really haul.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #14

I'm assuming the truck has a 25 gallon fuel tank (my F150 before the Tundra did). The rear axle rating of 3800 and the front axle rating of 3600 totals 7400# and is most likely the GVWR before the 150# driver and 200# of gasoline (25 gallons at ~8#/gallon) already factored in. That total of 350# from the 7400# would leave you with the 7050# GVWR you're referring to.

It appears to check out.

I don't know that the listed ratings are a percentage of what the vehicle can actually tow safely.

GMC Sierra 2500HD
287BHSW (original)
X213 (current)
Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfirekid View Post
snip........Weird that the GVWR is 7050#, but the sum of the RGAWR (3800#) and the FGAWR (3600#) come up 150# short of the 7050. Shouldn't the sum of the rear and front axles match the GVWR?......snip
One would think so....., but, each axle has it's own specified weight limit and the "scaled" sum total shouldn't exceed a vehicle's specified GVWR.

My understanding is that a vehicle's specified GVWR takes into consideration numerous components like the chassis (axles, brakes, etc.), body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers, cargo, etc.. The GVWR is designed to protect numerous vehicle components for safety, durability, and performance.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #16

The sum of the axle ratings exceeds the GVWR always as far as I know. This means one set of axles for all different models in the lineup other than maybe the HD payload options.
I don't think the excess over the GVWR is to account for fuel and a driver though. More likely enough of a buffer to cover all way from the XL models up to the loaded up Limited models with one or maybe two different axle combinations. Having different axles for each different GVWR across the model range would cost manufacturers too much. Using Ford as an example but it is probably the same for all makers.

Cheers
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #17

From everything I have found and understand, the payload of a vehicle does not factor in a 150lb driver. I haven't found a definite answer for a full tank of fuel, but think that is factored in. If you read the yellow payload sticker in the door jamb of each vehicle (since '06 or so), it states "ALL OCCUPANTS and cargo....." Well, all occupants means anyone inside the vehicle, not all except the driver....

But in regards to the actual stated tow rating of the truck, yes, a 150lb driver was included for that rating, and now the tow rating is set with 2-150lb occupants (driver and passenger) as part of the new tow rating standard since being adopted and followed by the manufactures.

Kid,

Good luck shopping!!! Hope all goes well!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2tiger View Post
We are pulling a 267BHSW with the 2015 3.5 Ecoboost. I have the 6800GVWR package which gives me a little over 1700#'s of payload. More than enough power and payload capacity. Trailer pulls great. A high quality WDH is a must.
Welcome to JOF from a fellow Charlestonian over on James Island.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #19

I've towed mine with the same combination for quite a while now. No issues at all.
kiknads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #20

I just purchased a 287bhsw and have a 2016 f150 with the super crew cab, 3.5L ecoboost and it tows great. No problems here.
cheiden001 is offline   Reply With Quote