Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

28BHBE in Texas

Good evening everyone! I am new to the travel trailering world and am looking into getting a 28BHBE. As for family, it is myself, my wife, and two children (1 and 7) in San Antonio, TX. The reason behind the purchase is for a job i got called up to go do in far West Texas between Pecos and Carlsbad, NM. For the most part it will be just me living in it, but wanted to buy something that is nice for when I'm done with this job and we can use it for camping/travelling. We are looking at a unit at Crestview RV in Selma. My tow rig is a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC Duramax 4x4 with MiniMaxx tuning and an 8" suspension lift on 37s.I am requested to be on site this Sunday, so this is a rather rushed entry into this style.

I have read quite a bit now on the forum and have narrowed down my questions to: Is the 28BHBE a good fit for the West and South Texas weather/sun? Are they any recommended hitches for my truck/trailer choice combo being that the truck is not the typical tow rig? Are there any options that stand out as being a "wish I had that" or a "well that's worthless"? What are the best ways to finance this type of purchase (told that they can get financing for 5% probably since we have good credit.) Would a fiberglass option be a better choice over the aluminum skin? Aside from the trailer, what accessories are a must have? Any sites or videos recommended for a newbie family like ours for an introduction and how to (also willing to take any info/reviews for sites/parks in the Carlsbad/Orla/Pecos area)?

Thank you all for any input and your time!
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #2

Have fun in Orla.
It ain't possible, by the way.
Stay in Carlsbad. (Dining)
Get on the road early, it jams up before sunrise.

Good luck.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

Oh. Sun west park in Carlsbad.
It's quiet at night. If you hear trucks firing up, you better get up.
The time zone thing is a pain though.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Make sure it is a 50 amp and two air conditioners otherwise the summers will be HOT. I like the fiberglass but there are pros and cons. You'll also want the thermal package ideally.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Make sure it is a 50 amp and two air conditioners otherwise the summers will be HOT. I like the fiberglass but there are pros and cons. You'll also want the thermal package ideally.
Concur.
Also, of all lodging options, I prefer the RV.
Just make sure there is a chair to sit and relax in.
Be sure and visit Sitting Bull Falls.
Hard to believe there's a waterfall out there in the desert.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Vaquero - I have heard my closest places to Orla are 30-50 miles away, guess they were right. When said that "if you hear trucks starting up, get up" - do you mean that there is some theft going on? My truck is an attention getter per se and attracts those looking for an easy buck.
drk98 - This one has the thermal package with 50A and set up for solar trickle, no second A/C though. Is it difficult to install one?
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #7

As mentioned get the 50amp with two a/c units. If not at least the 50 amp with 2nd a/c prep.

I have the thermal package and would recommend that.

I like my fiberglass siding. It's nice and your truck can handle the additional weight.

A lifted truck is not ideal for towing in my mind but you have a good tow vehicle. I have a LBZ duramax and tow my 28BHBE just fine with a Blue OX Swaypro WDH. There are other good ones but I like my setup.

For financing, 5% is high to me. I'd shop around.

We really like our 2017 28BHBE and have had a great season camping with it.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Vaquero - I have heard my closest places to Orla are 30-50 miles away, guess they were right. When said that "if you hear trucks starting up, get up" - do you mean that there is some theft going on? My truck is an attention getter per se and attracts those looking for an easy buck.
drk98 - This one has the thermal package with 50A and set up for solar trickle, no second A/C though. Is it difficult to install one?
No real theft issues. If you hear trucks leaving the rv park, you're running late.
Heh! It's 50 miles from Carlsbad to Orla. A tad less from Pecos. But, there ain't nothing in Pecos.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

Boyd,

I am just North of there in Eunice, NM living in my 25RKS for the past 3 years. I concur with the responses you have received from others regarding the thermal package and two AC units. There was a guy here in my park with that model trailer a few weeks ago and he seemed to be ok. If you are starting this life soon you will not need to worry about AC much longer. It will be getting to be winter soon. This is where the 50a service may also be helpful by allowing you to use electric heat to supplment and conserve propane.
On the aluminum vs fiberglass - that is more of a personal decision but there are differences. The fiberglass is heavier but we had some golf ball size hail recently and the aluminum siding now has dents. My neighbors with fiberglass did not have damage to the siding.

The only other comment that I have concerns the rear bunks on this floor plan. I have not seen one in person but the photos on the web look like access to the bunks is tight. I am not sure how you would get in there to change sheets. I would also spend some time sitting in various places and watching tv. Living in it you will likely spend some time watching and you need to be comfortable doing so.

The comment about "trucks starting up" is referring to all of the other workers getting up early and starting their trucks to leave. Remember there is a time zone difference between NM and TX which you will likely straddle between your worksite and any rv park.

Help is out there once you decide to come this way. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Terry
On the edge between Far West TX & Eastern NM
Traver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
No real theft issues. If you hear trucks leaving the rv park, you're running late.
Heh! It's 50 miles from Carlsbad to Orla. A tad less from Pecos. But, there ain't nothing in Pecos.
Yeah, really not looking forward to putting 100 miles a day on my truck, especially after just putting new 37'' Cooper STT Pro on last week.

I thought 5% was high too, but have never looked into financing anything like this or if credit unions do these.

This one is all aluminum, but i wasn't sure if i was better off waiting and finding a fiberglass model. They are putting this one at $25k and throwing in a weight distributing hitch so they say. Seemed like a decent deal since MSRP says it's 32k (granted i don't know how accurate that really is.)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:15 AM   #11

28BHBE in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I thought 5% was high too, but have never looked into financing anything like this or if credit unions do these.

This one is all aluminum, but i wasn't sure if i was better off waiting and finding a fiberglass model. They are putting this one at $25k and throwing in a weight distributing hitch so they say. Seemed like a decent deal since MSRP says it's 32k (granted i don't know how accurate that really is.)

Yes credit unions do finance these. I'm sure any bank will. My dealer offered me under 3% through Bank of America.

Nothing wrong with aluminum siding.

$25k isn't bad depending on options but you could probably do a little better than $25k. sounds like you need to buy extremely soon so shopping around isn't an option. If you want to compare prices quickly, get an online quote from RVDirect. You can see what they'd charge for a trailer with the same options. Maybe you local dealer will come close.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:04 AM   #12

Boyd,
I know the unit you are looking at. We are just up the road from Crestview and looked at the unit you are talking about. Is the 25K price "out the door"? If not you should be able to do better than 25K. Let me just say we ordered ours with all the options except the skylight and we feel you can do better that 25K.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

I think you should spend a week or so in a hotel.
Do some more research on floorplans and options.
Don't rush it.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #14

+1 on the 2nd AC. I have the 50A 2nd AC prep, and wish I had just had the dealer work it into the deal to begin with. At least then I could have financed it instead of coming up with cash out of pocket. Installation later doesn't look too bad (I've been looking into it), I think the hardest part will be getting up the nerve to cut that first hole in the roof!

I've had great experiences with Crestview in Selma, that's where we bought ours, and they've always done me right. One minor exception was the hitch they sold me when I bought the trailer. It was a 1000/10000 setup, and it's not really enough for the BHBE when the potential tongue weight can reach 1400 lbs. So I upgraded this year to a Blue Ox SwayPro 1500/15000 and couldn't be happier. Sounds like with the lift your truck has, you'll have to get a deeper drop for your shank no matter what hitch you get. Either the Sway Pro or the Equal-i-zer would be my first choices in 1400/14000 configurations.

Aluminum vs fiberglass is largely personal preference, but I like our aluminum sides.

A hint for sitting and relaxing is to remove the dinette table and slide it between the couch and the dinette. It makes for a comfy "lounge" like area for chilling out. I also made a small drink table for mine last year, but I keep forgetting to use it.

The bunks are easy to get in and out of, but changing sheets is a bit of a chore. I usually just grab the back corner and pull it over, put the corner of the sheet on and let it flop back over. For the top bunk, I've been known to pull the whole mattress down and put the sheet on from ground level and put the mattress with sheet attached back up top. The biggest problem with the bunks is the lack of ventilation. The newer models have a vent above the top bunk (my 2014 does not), but the bottom bunk can get quite stuffy. We solved it with a small clip-on fan.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
, I think the hardest part will be getting up the nerve to cut that first hole in the roof!

Do you not have the standard crank up vent over the bed? If so, the AC just drops in there.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Do you not have the standard crank up vent over the bed? If so, the AC just drops in there.
Nope, no vent in the master. The only vent in my roof is over the toilet. If there was a vent there, I probably would've already installed another unit. But then the cost would be holding me back a bit too. Those AC units are not cheap.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-14-2016, 06:07 AM   #17

Camper Bob,
When I was first looking at purchasing the 28BHBE at our local dealer; the unit on the lot did not have a second AC but was prepped for one. The sales rep stated they could install it for around $750.00 (price is of course expensive/cheap depending on ones own financial position and the feeling of value added).

Since the unit did not have some of the other options we wanted we ended up special ordering the trailer with the second AC installed along with the other options we wanted.
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Camper Bob,
When I was first looking at purchasing the 28BHBE at our local dealer; the unit on the lot did not have a second AC but was prepped for one. The sales rep stated they could install it for around $750.00 (price is of course expensive/cheap depending on ones own financial position and the feeling of value added).

Since the unit did not have some of the other options we wanted we ended up special ordering the trailer with the second AC installed along with the other options we wanted.
Was that at Crestview? That's actually not too bad depending on which unit they install. If it's the Coleman Mach (just like the one that came on it), I would certainly consider having them do it. I haven't gotten serious about pricing it out yet, I've just been shopping the units online. I figured the cost installed at the dealer would be prohibitive, so I was planning to do it myself after calling a dealer to verify my fears (and to satisfy DW). But it looks like I'll have to call over there and find out.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #19

Camper Bob, yes that was at Crestview and I believe it was the Coleman Mach. It would be only be for the front bedroom. The way they are installed it is not ducted and controls would be on the unit -non thermostat on wall
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Camper Bob, yes that was at Crestview and I believe it was the Coleman Mach. It would be only be for the front bedroom. The way they are installed it is not ducted and controls would be on the unit -non thermostat on wall
Interesting!! Thanks for the info!

I was fiddling with the duct work up there not long ago, and it seems that it would be super easy to duct in the second unit. I wonder if that's how they come from the factory? If you have a "chill grill" installed like the main unit has, you can dump most of the air in the bedroom if you want, or you can close off the dumps and let it all go through the ducts.

Maybe I can get them to install the outside unit only, and I can do the rest of the install and clean up the trim myself? That way I could have it ducted in if I wanted... And they would be doing all the hardest parts of the install. It would be nice to have it ducted in, but not strictly necessary I guess...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV