Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

28DSBH - pls help with options to order

Hi,

I am just about to place an order for a new 28DSBH. Please could you help me with choosing the options?

The options that I want to order:

Customer Value Package
15k BTU A/C Upgrade
Roof Ladder
Glacier Package
Kitchen Skylight with Shade
30 lb. LP Gas Bottles
Solid Surface Kitchen Countertops
Front Molded Cap w/LED Headlights
Sway Command Electronic Sway Control

The options I am not sure about:

Free Standing Table with 4 Chairs
Exterior Folding Table (2x4)
5-Way Power Remote

The options I am not planning to order:

Electric Stabilizer Jacks
Chill-N-Store Exterior Refrigerator
Outside Bumper Mount Grill

Please could you comment on the list above? Are there any options that you would think should be moved from one category to another one?

Thank you!
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #2

Stormpod has the exact table linked from home depot or Lowe's for much cheaper, we opted not to get the free standing table and chairs so we could take advantage of the additional storage, we also did not get the remote, too pricy for minimal effort, I think you're good with what you have.... One thing you might want to consider is not upgrading the propane, our old camper had the #30 bottles and we used about 1 bottle per year, you'll save about 30 lbs off your tongue weight and 20 lbs bottles are easy to find vs refilling the 30 lbs
jacko147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

I would not get 30# tanks. Jacko hit the nail on the head. As a matter of fact for anyone near Tallahassee I have 2 30# tanks and a back cover I will trade straight up for 20# and a black cover. Just provide them full and pay for a fill for one of my extra 20's to make the fuel even.

I have the table, and I like it. The table is generic, but they built a nice place to hold it, and I am not sure that the storage hole is prebuilt without the option. Then again my passthrough is always a disaster and any built in organization is a good thing!

Power remote is silly without power stabilizers I think, and I'm not a fan of power stabilizers.

Kitchen skylight. Provides some light, but its a hole in the roof. Personally I'd opt out.

The rear gas grill is nice, but other options exist. If I had not had gotten it with my last RV and kept it, I wouldn't have it and would be using a Webber Q of some sort.

My unit HAD the chill and N-store and it was removed the 5th day of owning the RV.]

I would go to www.rvdirect.com and get a quote on what you want and add all options. Even if you buy local, it gives you negotiating power.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

Like Jacko mentioned, the 20lb tank will probably be enough. Though just exchanging them usually only gets you a 15lb fill, not a full 20lb fill.

Free standing table, we have never had one, but we would probably miss the storage also.

Exterior table: How much? Probably can buy a couple tables yourself for way cheaper. We have a couple rectangle (they are each about 2x4 if I recall, in the camper which is still in winter hibernation!) aluminum roll top tables that work great. Fold up and store in a bag about the size of a bag chair.

Exterior fridge: we have our first outdoor kitchen having bought our 32 last July. While I probably won't use the stovetop much, the exterior fridge is awesome in our opinion!!! Eliminated taking a cooler for us. We keep the water and pop (soda) in it. So if we see kids getting in the cooler (adult drinks) we know they are up to no good!!! Lol BUT, if you will boondock a lot, may not make sense since you won't have electric without a generator. If you normally have electric h/u, I highly suggest getting it.

Having bought our 32 off the lot, it had the bumper mount grill option. Not something I would have bought. Probably won't use it as we have a Coleman Roadtrip grill. Although I may look at keeping the bumper grill for trips to the park and such if I can get a regulator for it.

Remote: our trailer has the remote (came with the Elite package if I recall correctly). It is nice being able to stand outside while putting the slides out to double check they won't hit anything. If it wasn't included not sure I would have opted for it, depends on the price.

Electric stabilizer jacks: a cordless drill/driver with a socket is way cheaper, and easier and cheaper to replace if it goes bad.

Some say the skylight is just another possible leak waiting to happen, so it's a tough call!!! Ours came with one, it's nice, but not sure I would get it as a standalone option.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #5

Here is the exact table from lowes for cheaper, our plan is to get it a later date if we decide we want it, we have a simialar table that folds in half which we ended up removing from our old trailer due to lack of use

Credit Stormpod1 for the find on the table...
Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #6

I like the 30lb propane bottles on my jay flight. The fewer times I need to refill them the better. For $75. it is not a bad deal. Will cost you a lot more later.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #7

Thank you guys! This confirms that I will go for only the options I have in the first category and skip those where I was not sure or did not want them.

Question about the 30 lb. LP Gas Bottles – if I do not take this option, am I getting 20 lb. tanks or I am not getting any? More important, would I get this black cover for the bottles if I do not go with 30 lb. tanks option? I like the idea of having less on the tongue. We are very light energy / gas users, so I do not expect that the bigger tanks are important.

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Here's the 20lbs
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-JAYCO-WHITE-HAWK-28DSBH-6255-56480.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	23032

Here's the 30lbs
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-Jayco-28DSBH-White-Hawk-20884-44222.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	23033
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #9

Again, thank you all!

I have also noticed that there are two new options for 208DSBH

Theater Seating
EZ Breeze Powered Roof Vent

I understand that Theater Seating would mean two separate chairs instead of the couch... If so, not interested.

EZ Breeze Powered Roof Vent is something I should be interested in?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #10

In regards to LP tanks size, depends on your style and length of RV use. If you are in parks with shore power the majority of the time 20's will be more than enough. But, if you are like me and will boondock for sometimes as much as 2 1/2 weeks in cold climate you may want the 30's. I have four 30 pound tanks that I run.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Hey buddy,

Some of these choices simply come down to what best suits you and your family, whereas others, like not ordering the table because you can get it aftermarket for less, are just common sense.

As you know, I just ordered a 28DSBH, with almost identical options. I didn't order 30lb tanks because they add a total of 30 lbs of tongue weight and they're less easily refilled. Plus, we don't plan to do tons of dry camping until our daughter is a little older. You can always carry another 20lb tank internally during transit and have the same standby capacity without adding tongue weight. If you don't order 30s you will get 20s with cover included.

I DID order the two electric stabilizer jacks rather than the four manual jacks, not because they're electric but because they're a tandem rather than independent setup, (supposedly) making for improved stability. Much like an aftermarket cross-brace stabilizer system, both legs adjust to the terrain and one another automatically, ensuring there's equal terrain pressure on each leg. If they fail, there's a manual option, and I'm not afraid to replace a motor down the road if need be. I'll post on how they work (or don't!) after our first trip in the new trailer this summer.

I didn't order the free-standing table and chairs because we have a toddler and the dinette works better for us, provides storage, and I don't have to strap down chairs during transit. I didn't order the bumper mount grill because they're largely crap and I plan to set up my outdoor kitchen near the front storage compartment. In that compartment, I plan to have an aftermarket fridge (Midea WHS-65SLB1, 1.6 cf, $91 on Amazon) because Jayco's is needlessly expensive and, by some accounts, very noisy up in the bedroom.

I did order the 5-way power remote (dealer gave it to me for $220), again because of the toddler, plus I like remotes and it will operate the power stabilizer jacks. I figure that if we get to a site after a long day on the road and my little one is fussy, mama may have to take care of her while dad drops the jacks, extends the slide and awning, etc. I think it's useful to be able to stand outside the trailer and watch the slide come out, so I won't have to guess about hitting nearby branches, etc. Anything that speeds setup on a July day with a two-year-old in attendance is a must have for me.

Like apr1967 and need-a-vacation, we were of mixed minds on the skylight. DW wanted it, but I thought about it as another roof hole/potential point of failure. And it can introduce a lot of heat to the inside on a summer day. But we ended up ordering it. I think now that the slide out has two side windows, the skylight is probably unnecessary, but it's a nice touch.

Last, on the EZBreeze, I figured I'd try taking the camper out as is and see how we do as equipped. I'm seeing the EZBreeze out there for $75-$100 and could always self install later, although if I put one in it will probably be a Fantastic fan with thermostat and rain sensor...

That's about it, I guess. Whatever you decide, the options you've selected already are going to make it one beautiful and comfortable TT!
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #12

Thanks guys! I have placed an order today! Pick up probably in August even if the trailer is ready in July - just can't do this earlier due to my schedule.

Unfortunately, the dealer refused to install ProPride hitch and I will need to take the trailer to a hitch shop.

Thank you All!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:06 AM   #13
Site Team

I think the 30lb bottles are standard as part of the mandatory customer value package.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #14

Bono,

Congrats!!!!

So did you only go with the original list, or did you change it a little?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #15

I was told that I will get 20 lb tanks, if I do not opt for 30 lb, which makes sense.

I went with the original list of the options and did not change anything.

Can't wait to take the trailer and whole family for the first trip. I started making reservations

Anyway, before that new baby will come (in the next couple of days), need to manage to install ProPride in another location, need to install solar setup... busy times.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #16

I like the 20# option....here in TX I don't need that much propane...I actually use more propane cooking outside. so im not worried about it being on the trailer.

I love the skylight...lot more light!!

absolutely hate the electric jacks that came on our trailer...im always 5 minutes from cutting those things out!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Thanks guys! I have placed an order today! Pick up probably in August even if the trailer is ready in July - just can't do this earlier due to my schedule.

Unfortunately, the dealer refused to install ProPride hitch and I will need to take the trailer to a hitch shop.

Thank you All!
My dealer is also refusing to install my propride, I have tow it home with my old blue ox, then install myself (which is probably a good thing)