Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

29REKS Awning not clearing slide out?

Hi all,

Came from a Skyline Aljo to a Jayco White Hawk (both 29ft) however the Jayco has slideouts on BOTH sides...one of our main reasons for getting new one, lots of space!

Our issue/concern.....it seems when I have the awning fully extended, and the slide outs pushed, there is barely enough space for the awning passing the Slide out (door side with kitchen) the awning "just" touches the top of the awning, and therefore also stops light from coming from the led lightvstrip factory installed.

It is also next to impossible to "slant" for those raIny times for water run-off....

All is resolved if I have the slide out retracted, but that defeats the purpose, no?

Anyone tell me if I am missing something here?

Thanks,
Jerry
Jadamowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #2

Same issue with my 33RBTS. I simply don't extend it all the way, leaving it about 2" above the slide. It still provides enough shade, but since it is not extended fully, I cannot put anything in the track like lights. If I extend it all the way, it rests in the slide and the door rubs it. To me, that's not acceptable.

When it rains, the front side of the awning will lower down and dump the accumulated rain, then rise back up. I don't know if this is intentional, but it solves the issue of not lowering one side.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

We used our WH awning fully extended, and lowered at the rear, for two years with no issues, including no indication of wear where it contacted the slide. Couldn't agree more that it's a dumb setup and the awning lights are all but useless.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

Same issue on the 29BHDS, LED lights above the slide is fairly useless, and unless you leave it rolled in 1-2" it touches the slide. There have been some other threads on here about this, suggestions if I recall were some put a pool noodle or foam pipe wrap over the top of the slide, but thats an extra setup step and probably requires a ladder. I personally think some of the wheels designed for doors not to hit the awning would solve the issue and keep the awing up off the corners of the slide, which is probably where you will have any future puncture possibilities.

So far on ours, we haven't had a problem, I am able to slightly angle it and get some rain drainage, but a downpour I still just have to put it in. Jayco dealer advised to put it in any time we leave as well, which is a pain honestly. That being said, I was at the black hills this month and watched some good wind come thru and take out a bunch of awnings of campers that were unmanned (we rolled ours in pretty quickly, but we were there).

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote