Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

2nd Battery for a Skylark

Has anyone added a 2nd battery to their Skylark? I am having a problem fitting the 2nd battery in the battery tray to wire in parallel. The two batteries are too wide.

Can anyone help me out as to how they may have made them fit. Did you modify the battery tray?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dusty
DustyMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Not sure if it will work on a Skylark but some have installed small truck tool boxes to house batteries:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ght=truck+tool
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Please post your SKYLARK trailer model or give more info. Most folks can mount extra batteries on the tongue of their Travel Trailer. The best way was to move the propane tanks as forward as you can and use the wide area between the propane tanks and the front of the travel trailer if that is what you have.

To keep thief down to a minimum alot of folks secure their batteries in one of those diamond plated metal lockable truck tool boxes.

You also don't have to use the provide trays and go on top of them with angle pieces and can even extend out over the tongue area if needed.

This is a typical truck battery install for additional batteries for travel trailers...

sample photo from google images/gilldawg79

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

A
Quote:
Please post your SKYLARK trailer model or give more info. Most folks can mount extra batteries on the tongue of their Travel Trailer. The best way was to move the propane tanks as forward as you can and use the wide area between the propane tanks and the front of the travel trailer if that is what you have.

To keep thief down to a minimum alot of folks secure their batteries in one of those diamond plated metal lockable truck tool boxes.

You also don't have to use the provide trays and go on top of them with angle pieces and can even extend out over the tongue area if needed.

This is a typical truck battery install for additional batteries for travel trailer
A Skylark has a V nose so there is no room to put batteries on the tongue.
DustyMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

There you go haha...

My work here is done as Tony Stewart Nascar driver says...

Just remember anything mounted inside has to be vented to the outside to be safe. If the battery boils over that will eat up a bunch of metal as well so that needs to be taken under consideration as well...

My next battery bank upgrade is going to have two 150AH batteries on the trailer side and two 150AH batteries installed in the back of the truck bed. This will give me a total of 600AH batteries when connected together when camping off the power grid... Maybe that is the way to go in your situation...

Maybe others have some good ideas for you. All of my ideas was wrapped around having a trailer tongue to use to mount batteries on...

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

I have dry camped for years, and often took a second battery along. I would stick it inside the door of the camper when traveling and just set it on the ground next to the tongue of the trailer when I used it. I did not want to add more tongue weight to the trailer. If you want to mount a second battery inside the trailer you can get a vented box, or go with a AGM battery. They don't off gas when charging.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
2nd Battery In Skylark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMI View Post
Has anyone added a 2nd battery to their Skylark? I am having a problem fitting the 2nd battery in the battery tray to wire in parallel. The two batteries are too wide.

Can anyone help me out as to how they may have made them fit. Did you modify the battery tray?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dusty
I have a 2012 Skylark and use two type 34 batteries sitting sideways in the battery tray. So far they've worked really well and I've used the batteries over a four day weekend of dry camping and used the heater and they worked fine. Besides using the tow vehicle to charge the batteries on the way home, I charged the batteries with a smart charger after I got home. I then leave a battery tender attached to keep them up to full charge. I don't camp regularly but I do like to have the batteries available when I do take the trailer out. Good Luck.
2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post

This is a typical truck battery install for additional batteries for travel trailers...

sample photo from google images/gilldawg79

Roy Ken
The batteries on the skylark are internal about half way back on the side of the trailer. The V-Nose only leaves about 12 to 14 inches between it and the tongue
2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote