Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #1

2nd battery question

I just bought a new jayco trailer and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the dealer install a 2nd 12 volt battery for $140 or whatever it is or is it better to wait and get a proper deep cycle battery setup using golf cart batteries. Thanks.

Edit - ive don't some more searching and it seems getting another batter is ok. please let me know if you think otherwise. thanks
Barnaclepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Team

That depends on the type of camping you intend to do. If you are going to be hooked up to shore power at your campgrounds, then the standard battery that comes with your TT is more than enough. (Just remember to pull the main fuse by the battery when stored and not hooked up to shore power for a few days, as there are things that draw power (fridge ckt board, CO alarm, radio..)

If you are planning on dry camping (no shore power), then a second battery is recommended. Should you just add a second battery like the existing, or convert to TRUE DEEP CYCLE batteries? That can be decided based on the amount of time you will be dry camping? Couple days? Week?... As you will need to recharge the batteries using a generator, TV, or Solar. If you will be dry camping, I personally would recommend just adding a second battery and seeing how that will work. It will still be cheaper that buying 2 new TRUE deep cycle batteries, and your learning experience will be on cheaper batteries and not on the EXPENSIVE ones.

You will want to convert your interior lights to LED's, which will drain your batteries a lot less than regular bulbs. Inverter?

Just my thoughts,
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaclepete View Post
I just bought a new jayco trailer and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the dealer install a 2nd 12 volt battery for $140 or whatever it is or is it better to wait and get a deep cycle battery setup. Thanks.
I would think, the dealer would be installing a 12 volt deep cycle to match the battery you already have on your coach. If you can get the battery and install for $140 I'd go that route. Even though it's a simple installation at that price why not let the dealer do it.

I added a 2nd battery to my setup a few months ago and did the installation myself. The group 29 battery cost me $130 alone then add the cables and etc, I've got over 2 benjamins in it.

I would suggest you have them connect the batteries using no less than 4 awg cables though. I used 2 awg on my battery upgrade.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks All. Ill probably have it done then. The trailer is a 2015 x19H so it already has LED lighting I believe.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

I have the group 29 battery also and am trying to add another one without storing inside any ideas?
I also posted more specifics on an earlier post today.

Thanks
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #6

I would think you should be able to fit 2 batteries side by side. I know mine originally came with 2 batteries from the dealer (per my request) and they fit in the stock battery tray. Later we upgraded from those 2 12-volts to 4 - 6 volts. If you had to you could have an easy mod welded to accommodate whatever you end up doing. I paid a local welder $20 to fabricate a angle iron battery tray on top of my tongue, just above the original tray, to accommodate all four of our 6 volts. This isn't the best picture. All of the covers are off and the propane tank have been removed but you get the idea. http://jaycoowners.com/forums/pictur...pictureid=2593

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

link doesnt show anything?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Sorry dennis b, here is a different photo. Simple tray welded out of angle iron to the A frame of the tongue, along with D-clips to attach a ratcheting strap to hold down the covers.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-10-09 10.47.54.jpg  

Cummins generator
Old 09-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #9

On my trailer I fit 2 no problem. Not sure i could do 4 there easily and also that would add ~150lb tounge weight. What trailer do you have? I just have the small 19 and 2 batteries seem sufficient for my needs. I want solar at some point and a small 2000 honda or yamaha but for now this is working with no problems.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #10

2011 jayflight 28bhs
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Sorry dennis b, here is a different photo. Simple tray welded out of angle iron to the A frame of the tongue, along with D-clips to attach a ratcheting strap to hold down the covers.
If you wire those in series the lights are brighter, you pickup more television stations, and they glow in the dark...
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
If you wire those in series the lights are brighter, you pickup more television stations, and they glow in the dark...
I know it looks comical but we love having them.

I installed those in 2010 thinking with a genset to recharge I'd be able to keep my mothers oxygenator running each night on a epic journey that ended with a week in Yellowstone. (Custer's Last Stand, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore along the way).

I learned the hard way what a poor recharging system comes standard in our TT. We'd start the generator at 8:00 am and run it all day, while we visited the park and return home to turn it off at 8:00 pm. Only to hear the low battery alarm going off at 7:30 am the next morning.

Installing extra batteries is only the starting point. Then you need a charger/inverter to use them to their potential. And so the money gets spent installing more & more mods. I've done many mods since then and still learning the hard way. Woke up once freezing to find my son had started the air conditioner while I was sleeping. Left the "Auto" selection on the fridge and ran the fridge on AC power from my batteries for 12 hours. Those situations have you discover the true power in your battery bank. Fortunately in those neither one killed the batteries or ran them too low, (air conditioner ran them down to 37% though and that is below desired maximum 50% discharge. Good news is we just finished our 5th season on them (Costco golf cart 6 volts in series/parallel) and they are still very healthy and strong. Would love to get 7+ years, we'll see. Maintenance is everything. You've got to check the specific gravity and keep the fluid level where needs to be and keep them on a charging maintenance schedule year round.

Cummins generator
Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
:

Installing extra batteries is only the starting point. Then you need a charger/inverter to use them to their potential. And so the money gets spent installing more & more mods. I've done many mods since then and still learning the hard way. Woke up once freezing to find my son had started the air conditioner while I was sleeping. Left the "Auto" selection on the fridge and ran the fridge on AC power from my batteries for 12 hours. Those situations have you discover the true power in your battery bank. .
Unless you are boondocking for a very long time and using an inverterter to power up 110 devices, 4 6V cart batteries seems like a pretty extreme overkill, especially when you have a gen to do regular recharges. Those things are heavy and adding all that to the tongue can't be a good thing. 2 6V carts should run the med equipment along with basic 12V needs for 12 hours or more without a damaging low charge level on the batteries.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #14

I knew that you were joking when I got to the part about more tv channels when wired in a series...anyway I'm looking at 2 group 29 bat .parralel gonna try 150 watt portable solar panel to recharge and if need be plug in to my running truck.
On one battery in my popup I could go a couple of days with no problems using furnace at night and standard light bulbs. I just changed out to leds on TT. Inverter is the next thing I'll be adding once I see how the 12 volt stuff works. my batterys have a 2 year free replacement warranty so if I go below 50% enough to wear out I can get replaced
Old 09-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
:
We'd start the generator at 8:00 am and run it all day, while we visited the park and return home to turn it off at 8:00 pm. Only to hear the low battery alarm going off at 7:30 am the next morning.

You put all that $$ into batteries and inverters and didn't add a stand alone battery charger?

Woke up once freezing to find my son had started the air conditioner while I was sleeping. Left the "Auto" selection on the fridge and ran the fridge on AC power from my batteries for 12 hours.
What size inverter did you install? Never heard of anyone running an A/C system off a battery bank/inverter. If the fridge was set to auto it is going to run on a/c if its available.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #16

Well we usually run the battery bank down with our normal day to day usage to a 57% level. That includes using the microwave to pop some popcorn and watching movies. My wife has a pain condition that can keep the Television/DirectV on until 3 or 4 in the morning. Then I typically brew a pot of coffee (6-8 cups) and wait until the 8:00 am protocol to start the generator. The typical NP protocol will allow generator use from 8:00-10:00, 12:00-2:00 and 5:00-7:00. We typically only need 3 hours of generator time to fully restore our battery bank. To answer your question, I installed a 3,000 watt inverter with a 4,000 watt surge and it has the ability to utilize both shore & battery power to create a continuous power source. My wife is disabled, so we have unique power requirements. Please don't judge. If you'd like to see the install of this amazing inverter/charger see the attached, bassdogs.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=529

Cummins generator
Old 09-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #17

Here is the most awesome inverter/charger you could ever hope to have in your TT.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-07-22 11.09.34.jpg  

Cummins generator
Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Well we usually run the battery bank down with our normal day to day usage to a 57% level. That includes using the microwave to pop some popcorn and watching movies. My wife has a pain condition that can keep the Television/DirectV on until 3 or 4 in the morning. Then I typically brew a pot of coffee (6-8 cups) and wait until the 8:00 am protocol to start the generator. The typical NP protocol will allow generator use from 8:00-10:00, 12:00-2:00 and 5:00-7:00. We typically only need 3 hours of generator time to fully restore our battery bank. To answer your question, I installed a 3,000 watt inverter with a 4,000 watt surge and it has the ability to utilize both shore & battery power to create a continuous power source. My wife is disabled, so we have unique power requirements. Please don't judge. If you'd like to see the install of this amazing inverter/charger see the attached, bassdogs.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=529
No judging from this camper, just doing the math and running A/c thru an inverter with 4 6volts and a3000 watt inverter will work, but not for very long. Factor out the A/C and allowing for an occasional use of the coffee pot or microwave and 2 6V's will get you thru to the next morning. If you've got access to shore power, the battery bank/inverter is only for back up. If no shore power, your formula works except for the A/C.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaclepete View Post
I just bought a new jayco trailer and I'm wondering if it's worth it to have the dealer install a 2nd 12 volt battery for $140 or whatever it is or is it better to wait and get a proper deep cycle battery setup using golf cart batteries. Thanks.

Edit - ive don't some more searching and it seems getting another batter is ok. please let me know if you think otherwise. thanks
Have the dealer take back the 12V deep cycle and install (2) 6v batteries. the cost difference might be minimal.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Factor out the A/C and allowing for an occasional use of the coffee pot or microwave and 2 6V's will get you thru to the next morning. If you've got access to shore power, the battery bank/inverter is only for back up. If no shore power, your formula works except for the A/C.
Yeah, the incident where my son ran the A/C was a no-no and he now understands the batteries are NOT for air conditioning. I'd say 95% of our camping, is dry boondocking in the woods without shore power. When we travel cross country we'll use the occasional RV park so the kids can have a pool to use, but we are not into RV parks. We like the woods, I will say more and more of the Montana State Parks have begun placing power pedestals but most CG's do not. The most shore power my unit ever sees is when it is parked at home. The goal to never goal below a 50% SOD (state of discharge) we can easily accomplish with our normal routine and have a little buffer to boot. The four Costco GC-2 golf cart batteries we purchased in April 2010. They are holding up real good. I keep tight on the maintenance for them. Hoping to get a 6th or even 7th season out of them before we have to replace. Then I'll probably upgrade to "Crown" batteries 265 AH each. That would move us from a 440 AH bank to a 530 AH bank. Plan to put a 1000 watt solar system on the roof this spring. Ideally I'd like to dry camp, and have all the power we need without even using a generator. That opens up more terrain to camp in places like Yellowstone on some of the CG's that do not allow generators at all (Lamar Valley). We have a real good handle on what we use and what we need. May be a bit over engineered but I never worry about power.

But you're right, the goal is never to run A/C with batteries.

Cummins generator