Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

30 amp power cord conversion

I still haven't taken delivery of my 23RLSW yet, but I'm planning on modifications already.

The 1st in line is the power cord conversion. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. I've looked on line at some kits and would like your opinion on them.

One is the Marinco Park Power kit, and another is made by Furrion that looks interesting.

Any other suggestions? Doing the work is no issue for me, but would like your thoughts on the quality and how it has held up.

I also plan on a larger TV in the living area, removing the couch(bed) and replacing with 2 recliners or a recliner couch. Because of the couch conversion I have to take out the cord storage box under it, so that's the reason for the power cord conversion.

I've been buying numerous items to add or convert over the last couple of months so I'll be busy doing a lot of work after it's delivered.

Wireman
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Yes it is a pain in the **!. My solution get 5 or 10 ft. #10 rubber cord (also flexible during the winter) get a male and female 30 amp plug (or 50 amp or whatever the onboard is).
Remove original cord and replace it with the short rubber one with male plug. Now from the original you make an extension cord. Simple and cost effective
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Yes it is a pain in the **!. My solution get 5 or 10 ft. #10 rubber cord (also flexible during the winter) get a male and female 30 amp plug (or 50 amp or whatever the onboard is).
Remove original cord and replace it with the short rubber one with male plug. Now from the original you make an extension cord. Simple and cost effective
Easier and cheaper to just cut the OEM pigtail at 5' [or long enough to tuck under the side of the tt to keep it out of the weather. Install a replacement male on the 5' pigtail and a new female on the section you cut off and you now have a +/- 20 foot extension cord for the price of 2 replacement plugs.

Did this mod on my white hawk last fall and it worked flawlessly on our 4000 mile trip to Texas. Did a lot of moving around which meant several set ups and tear downs so was really nice to just stuff the short pigtail and stow the extension. I left the short pigtail long enough that I could plug it into my Honda 2000 without having to use an extension for quick overnites without hookups. The conversion kits are not necessary.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

I installed the Furrion 30 amp conversion kit last year (thru Amazon) and it works perfectly. One of my smarter mods.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

I installed the Marinco Kit last fall and really like the clean look with the snap shut cover. Easy install. Although I like ALJO & Bassdogs idea, you still have the "mousehole" cover in place.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

troutslayer, TCNASNVILLE, is there any reason for your pick of the brand you chose?

It doesn't look like there is much difference in style or material but I haven't been to physically look at either one.

Did either of you add a hard wired surge protector like a Progressive Industries while you were doing this? Kind of pricey but may be better than hanging 1 off the power panel and worry about theft.

I'm not sure if I will add the surge protector right away or do it later. I have easy access to where the power cord meets the junction box inside the TT so it's not needed right away.

Wireman
Old 03-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #7

This is what I did.

http://stormpod.blogspot.com/2016/02...etachable.html

I chose this kit because I liked the adapters.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
troutslayer, TCNASNVILLE, is there any reason for your pick of the brand you chose?

It doesn't look like there is much difference in style or material but I haven't been to physically look at either one.

Did either of you add a hard wired surge protector like a Progressive Industries while you were doing this? Kind of pricey but may be better than hanging 1 off the power panel and worry about theft.

I'm not sure if I will add the surge protector right away or do it later. I have easy access to where the power cord meets the junction box inside the TT so it's not needed right away.

Wireman
The only reason I chose the Furrion is because I read results from someone else who installed one. My Progressive surge protector is portable (not hard-wired).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

Stormpod1, I can't access the link you provided. Maybe you can post some pics.

I definitely plan to do the cord conversion, just trying to do the research B4 I buy the kit.

ALJO, bassdogs, I understand your solutions but I prefer to eliminate the mouse hole with the solid mounted plug

Wireman
Old 03-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Ok try this
StormPOD: MOD - Making the 30 amp Cord Detachable

Quote:

I definitely plan to do the cord conversion, just trying to do the research B4 I buy the kit.

ALJO, bassdogs, I understand your solutions but I prefer to eliminate the mouse hole with the solid mounted plug

Wireman

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:

Wireman
Different strokes for different folks. For me, I've never gone thru CG's looking at the access ports on various campers. The mouse hole covers, like the sewer dump valve, are just what you expect to see [if you look]. I choose cost and function over more work and $$$$. In the end, the problem was stuffing the long and often stiff cord in the mousehole opening. My mod solved that problem at a cost of less than $15 and I ended up with an extra HD 30amp extension cord.

PS: I routinely stuff a plastic Walmart sack inside the mouse hole cover after stuff what is left of the cord and before closing the door. Nothing getting thru that cover.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #12

Ours is the Furrion. We got it online and had the dealer install it while they were doing a bunch of other (warranty) work. We haven't used the trailer since making this mod, but the one that was attached was a) difficult to get back into its housing, and b) kept pulling the faceplate loose (eventually completely off) when we pulled it out. We've only plugged this one into the power source at home, but so far, it sure is easier.
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #13

I bought the Furrion and like that it has an LED light that's lit 30 AMP RV CONVERSION KIT W/POWERSMART LED - FURRIONwhen it's powered. But with either brand it's a great up-grade and keeps out what should be out!
30 Amp RV Conversion Kit
30 Amp RV Conversion Kit
skiingviking is offline   Reply With Quote