Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

30 AMP RV park service

I always use the 30 AMP service, and never pay attention on other 50AMP and 220 V outlet. .
If I use the 30AMP for the RV, are those other outlet still usable for other purpose ?
Or once the 30 AMP is used, other outlet will be completely turned off ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Yes, if they offer 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp then they should all have independent power. Usually I bring an extension cord and use the 20 amp circuit to run the griddle for breakfast in the morning and plug the toaster into the camper outlets. Running both the griddle and toaster will trip the breakers.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Site Team

You can also use the 50 amp with a 50 to 30 adapter.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Or, vice versa. Now that our new rig has the 50 amp power socket, we will need to get a 30 to 50 amp dog bone. During the winter months we should never have to use power above 30 amps (not using any A/C.) We'll revert back to the 50-amp hook up when summer comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You can also use the 50 amp with a 50 to 30 adapter.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

I'am 30 amp, but the 50 to 30 amp dog-bone has allowed me to use the 50 outlet two or three times, when I have found the space 30 amp was worn out from use!
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
I'am 30 amp, but the 50 to 30 amp dog-bone has allowed me to use the 50 outlet two or three times, when I have found the space 30 amp was worn out from use!
Yes, I`ve run into this as well....
Old 11-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhillbilly View Post
Thanks , looks like 50 to 30 converter is a must have
Old 11-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

I've generally found better voltage using the 50 to 30 amp dogbone. Perhaps the adapter is picking up the other leg of the 120VAC. I use the adapter whenever 50 amp is available.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Then there are the occasional sites that only have 50 where you need the 30 to 50, or sites that only have 30 so if you are at 50 you need the 50 to 30, then if you are at home with 30 you need the 30 to 15. Yikes.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #10

You can pick them up at WALMART - Rather inexpensive.. They are called adapters not converters... Be sure to always use the long RV50A to 30A DOGBONE type adapters.. The small round type adapters usually get hot on you and burns up plugs... The long dogbone type adapters look something like this PHOTO image.

We use the pedestal 20AMP service all the time when running our portable 1500watt oil filled electric heater. This doesnt take away from the 30A connection at all...

We always use the pedestal 20AMP service for all of the outside connections at the camp grounds...

I would also pick up a RV30A to 15A long dogbone type adapter. This will allow you to plug your 30AMP trailer into a regular house 20AMP service.. Kinda neat having this at home when your trailer is parked so you can spend the night in it or do some cleaning or repairs... Everything works just fine just have to watch what you have on at the same time otherwise it will trip your house breaker.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
You can pick them up at WALMART - Rather inexpensive.. They are called adapters not converters... Be sure to always use the long RV50A to 30A DOGBONE type adapters.. The small round type adapters usually get hot on you and burns up plugs... The long dogbone type adapters look something like this PHOTO image.

We use the pedestal 20AMP service all the time when running our portable 1500watt oil filled electric heater. This doesnt take away from the 30A connection at all...

We always use the pedestal 20AMP service for all of the outside connections at the camp grounds...

I would also pick up a RV30A to 15A long dogbone type adapter. This will allow you to plug your 30AMP trailer into a regular house 20AMP service.. Kinda neat having this at home when your trailer is parked so you can spend the night in it or do some cleaning or repairs... Everything works just fine just have to watch what you have on at the same time otherwise it will trip your house breaker.

Roy Ken

Roy, I was thinking about the same thing. Running a heater while relaxing outside. On separate question, do you think oil filled heater is more effective heating under the awning RV area than the radiant heater ?
My thinking is , if it is not radiant directed heat, the heat will dissipate quickly when used outside no ?
If it is radiant, since it act more like a sun, directed infrared heat, then as long we are sitting in front of the infrared heater , we are ok, even outside, under the RV awning
Old 11-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

pawtan - We are RV campers and not RV Travelers and I only look at using the OIL-FILLED ELECTRIC HEATERs for their safety reason... These heaters are completely sealed with NO open flame, no burnt smells, no noise, and no fumes...

All they do is go click. As far as I am concerned these type of heaters are the most safe to use in the RV's especially if you going to leave them ON for long periods of time unattended... When we run ours I usually only set them to a low number 3-4 number on the dial so they will cycle on and off...

Obviously sometimes you may need to blow some heat around the room and the small profile heaters we use are perfect to sit one of those O2COOl AC/DC/D-CELL type fans behind them..

We also just don't like to deal with all the noise the trailer built-in Propane heaters make and in our small foot footprint camper the really put off too much heat for us...

This is the style of OIL-FILLED heaters we use which is about 14-inches tall...

We are more adjusted to OFF-ROAD camping and really don't like to have our camping experiences with all of the warn snug as a bug like you find at home...

The oil-filled heaters are perfect for our style of camping when at electric sites...

When we are outside relaxing there is usually a camp fire going...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #13

I tripped the breaker once running the space heater, coffee maker, water heater and refrigerator - all on the house 120V system. Now, I use the 20 amp at the pedestal, with an extension chord run through the corner of my slide-out, to power my portable space heater/fireplace. I've also used the 50 amp plug (with a dog bone adapter) when my EMS showed the 30 amp service to be "suspect".
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #14

I use the oil filled heaters in cold spots at home on occasion when I'm heating the house with wood pellets as it can be tough to direct the warm air from the pellet stove into every room. They are the safest heaters around. Pretty efficient too!
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
pawtan - We are RV campers and not RV Travelers and I only look at using the OIL-FILLED ELECTRIC HEATERs for their safety reason.

This is the style of OIL-FILLED heaters we use which is about 14-inches tall...
Roy, what brand of heater is that? Can't quite make out the name on the front. Thanks
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I use the oil filled heaters in cold spots at home on occasion when I'm heating the house with wood pellets as it can be tough to direct the warm air from the pellet stove into every room. They are the safest heaters around. Pretty efficient too!
Way off topic here, but we heat our house with a wood burning stove insert in the winter. The living room and dining room are roasting hot, but the bedrooms and kitchen can stay chilly. I just put a box fan in the hall and push cooler air from the back of the house towards the living room. That expands the natural circulation of air into the back of the house and really helps even out temps!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I tripped the breaker once running the space heater, coffee maker, water heater and refrigerator - all on the house 120V system. Now, I use the 20 amp at the pedestal, with an extension chord run through the corner of my slide-out, to power my portable space heater/fireplace. I've also used the 50 amp plug (with a dog bone adapter) when my EMS showed the 30 amp service to be "suspect".
See my currently active thread about installing thru the wall input port for adding the extra 20A input. Makes for a nice clean installation rather than slipping a cord thru the slide seal.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote