Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
How much is the $$$$ for the upgrade to 50A? Unless its a big number, go with your gut. I wouldn't consider it but then I use my TT in a more conventional manner. If you plan to set up and stay, more capacity might be worth it depending on what the cost is. Agree with another poster, unless you have dual AC, you can pretty much handle your needs with 30A as long as you manage your load in the kitchen and bathroom. Screw up and you unplug, reset the breaker, and remember what you did wrong. My only trips were when the toaster and the Microwave tangled or an electric space heater and a hairdryer were plugged into the same circuit. With only the wife and I, we have very few issues [with the power anyway].

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
We have 30 and it would be a lot more convenient if we had 50. We can start the microwave with our 15.0 ac running, but must make sure the water heater isn't on. If it's chilly an electric heater is cheaper to operate than the furnace. Another big power user. We get along fine on weekends but found it necessary to run a #10 extension from the post's duplex receptacle into the rig to power heaters, toaster oven, etc., when we spent a few months in it last winter. You know your needs best, but DW tends to not think about overloading. That hair dryer could go on at any moment!

I, OTOH, never mess up.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Personally, if its only a few hundred bucks, jump to the 50 amp! If you look at what your spending total, a few hundred isn't a deal breaker. It will also help come resale time. GO WITH THE 50! I wish I had!
2012 Jayco 32 TSBH
Stored in Myrtle Beach/Surfside SC
2006 Tundra DC with tow package
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
What comes with the 50A upgrade? Unless they spread the loads over more breakers, you aren't accomplishing anything. Hope
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Site Team
You have over 3 times as many amps available with 50a service.

Most big rigs with 2 ac's are severely limited if they had only 30a available without active load management. We do it at times in some parks and some types of weather but is is a little work and inconvenient.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
30 or 50 amps?

I won't even look at an RV without 50 amp. Been there and done that with the 30 amp. Nuff said.

rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote