Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

30amp + 15amp service outlet

Hi Folks,

My campsite electrical service pedestal only has a single 30amp outlet for the RV. I would like to be able to provide power to my Gazebo ceiling light and a small radio from the area of the pedestal. The External 15amp electrical outlet on the RV is not conveniently located near the gazebo whereas the service pedestal is.

I found an electrical service box online that has 1x30amp outlet (with 30amp breaker) and 1x20amp outlet (with 20amp GFI breaker).

Connecticut Electric Inc - 30A RV PANEL W/ 20A GFCI

So as to not require the campsite owners to change out their standard electrical service box; I am wondering if it is possible (and electrically safe) for me to hardwire a typical 30amp RV extension cable to this box, essentially turning it into a power bar. I would then plug this into the 30amp campsite pedestal and my RV into this box along with my gazebo light.

I need some electrical guidance here.

Although the service box I am adding has an aggregate of 50amps of output between the 2 outlets; I would not be requiring more than 30amps combined. But I am not certain if this box would require me to connect it to a 50amp input or if it ok to use 30amp input. The campsite service pedestal is only 30 amps.

The campground service pedestal is on a downstream dedicated 30amp breaker. The box I would be adding has independant breakers for each of its outlets. Is my thinking correct that with the service pedestal having a 30amp breaker, and independant breakers on each of my box's circuits that there is no risk in me overloading any wires. I am thinking it is no different than if I were to plug the gazebo light/radio into my RV's external outlet.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bill
wbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

Most all of the electric boxes at the campgrounds I have been at had a 30 amp outlet and a standard 20 amp house like plug in the box I just take an extension cord for anything else and plug it into the 20
Old 03-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Most all of the electric boxes at the campgrounds I have been at had a 30 amp outlet and a standard 20 amp house like plug in the box I just take an extension cord for anything else and plug it into the 20
+2

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #4

Yes, but this campsite does not have both at the pedestal. It is a single 30amp connection intended for the RV. Essentially, I am trying to create a power bar using an electrical box that has both the 30amp + 15amp that I can plug into my campsite's single 30 amp pedestal.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

it would still be simpler to just use an extension cord from an exterior outlet on the camper than to try to devise a box for that purpose .... your still relegated to the 30 amps no matter how you slice it
Old 03-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
it would still be simpler to just use an extension cord from an exterior outlet on the camper than to try to devise a box for that purpose .... your still relegated to the 30 amps no matter how you slice it
+2 again. Why put all that time, effort and money into a complex solution. Sure, it should work, but it's a lot of work. Just get a long extension cord and plug it in to your camper. Harbor Freight has 50' 14 ga. cords for under $20, and 100' 16 ga. cords for under $30 right now. Looks like a no brainer to me.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

I am trying to avoid using an extension cord connected to the camper namely because of both aestetics and distance. The camper's external electrical outlet is not at all close to the gazebo. Also, the physical location of the electrical outlet on the camper will lead to an eyesore.

Coincidentally, the service pedestal is only a few feet away. Had the campground used the typical 30amp+20amp electrical boxes; this would be non-issue.

My goal is to plug my own electrical service box right next to it just to create the additional Nema 15R outlet in addition to the 30R. I recognize I will still be limited to total of 30amps combined.

Bill
Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #8

I think my misuse of terminology may have confused some. I said I am trying to convert a 30amp campsite service pedestal into a 30amp + 15amp outlet. This is incorrect as it makes it seem that I am seeking 45amps which I'm not.

What I should have said is that I am seeking to establish 1x NEMA TT30R and 1xNEMA 5-15R receptables connecting to the service pedestals 30amp TT30R receptable. Max combined amperage would still be 30amps.

Bill
Old 03-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems you made up your mind, it seems un-logical to the members who advised you and also to me. But all you really need is a short extension cord with a 30 Amp outlet and regular 110 outlet which you probably can get at your local RV store. Seems simpler than making a whole new Box what is probably more expensive.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarnes View Post
What I should have said is that I am seeking to establish 1x NEMA TT30R and 1xNEMA 5-15R receptables connecting to the service pedestals 30amp TT30R receptable. Max combined amperage would still be 30amps.

Bill
I agree with others saying it more work then it's worth. However, that is your choice.
If you plug a box that has a 30A receptacle and a 20A receptacle that is protected with it's own 20A breaker you will technically be good because if you exceed 30A the main CG post breaker will blow. And if you overload the 20A outlet the 20A breaker will blow. This may not meet NEC or local code but I would be fine with it.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebra View Post
I agree with others saying it more work then it's worth. However, that is your choice.
If you plug a box that has a 30A receptacle and a 20A receptacle that is protected with it's own 20A breaker you will technically be good because if you exceed 30A the main CG post breaker will blow. And if you overload the 20A outlet the 20A breaker will blow. This may not meet NEC or local code but I would be fine with it.
The key comment from above is that the 20a receptacle needs to have its own 20a breaker, or you will be providing/ allowing up to 29.9 amps to be drawn from the 20a receptacle and appliance plugged into it.

Without 20a protection, this would be a hazard

My .02

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #12

To strongly agree with what Jim says you indeed want a 20-amp breaker to limit current to the 20-amp outlet. I would also strongly advise that the 20-amp outlet be a GFCI outlet to offer ground-fault protection, since you mention a cord feeding a remote gazebo. Or you could make the 20-amp breaker itself a GFCI type.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #13

Have you spoken with the campground to see what they could do for you? Perhaps there is another pedestal close to your gazebo, that you could plug into. Am I correct in assuming your running a long power cord from your RV to the pedestal now and don't want to add an additional cord, running next to (or zipped tied to) your RV power cord. Then run it the short distance to the gazebo. Your not going to be drawing much power with a light an a radio so most any std. extension cord would work. Otherwise, you would want to get an RV power box, with a 30 amp 120 plug and a 20 amp 120 plug in it. Wire in a short extension cord to plug from this new box into the pedestal. You would have two breakers in the new box, but they would both be powered by the single 30 amp plug on the campground pedestal. Seems like a lot of work and cost to eliminate an extension cord. It work but, why is the question . JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote