Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

314BDS grey water problem - water on floor

Maybe my family needs to camp differently, but on a 4 day trip how can the grey water fill up so quick? Everyone but my 1 year old used the public showers (and public toilet for the most part). My grey was full after 3 days. When I woke up the 4th day there was a water in the tub and a little stream coming out of the bathroom across the hall.

When I got home I opend the access on the side of the tub and the wood along the wall seemed damp. All the connections in there seemed sealed/tight.

What else can I look at? What needs to be different?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #2

As I posted in my review of the 314BDS - the grey water tank on that unit is TINY. It is 1/2 the size of every other unit I looked at. Grey water tanks typically run from 60g - 100g. THe grey water tank of the 314BDS is 36.5g.

I plan to buy a 40 gallon tote and thorw it in the back of the truck on longer trips. That way I can empty the tank into the tote and dump it into the forrest away from other campers.

Kind of a bummer, but that is the way they designed it!
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

How many of you are there? Like you we do not take showers in the TT, we have a 28 gallon tank and we can go 5 days really easily. In the TT we change our water consumption habits. First when we wash our hands the facets does not get turned on full blast and left on while washing. We try to get our hands wet and turn them off, wash with soap and turn them back on. This is much easier said than practiced.

The really big water consumer I think is washing dishes, actually rinsing the dishes. If you do not have two dish pans, get two and use one for wash and one for rinse and this should drop your consumption down to a couple of gallons as rinse water does not flow freely down the drain. Depending where you camp you may also be allowed to dump the dish pan water in the woods, and not down your tanks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

2 adults and 2 kids (+baby). We are usually the camper doing the dishes and bottles, etc. Tyring to change some habits (even my own) but they are hard to break.

Where is the grey coming from in under the bath?????
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Here is what I think happened.

I think your tub filled up with grey water and ran over the lip. When my grey tank filled I first noticed it because the bathtub was full of grey water (YUK!). It is also a well know problem with the 314BDS' that there is no lip on the tub to prevent water from the tub from running over, out, and through the trailer.

I bet your tub filled up, the water ran over and down the hall.

There are many threads on here about the water stream through the trailer when people are showering...and I know that when the grey tank fills it fills the tub first. Putting two and two together this seems like the likeliest scenario.
pbohart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #6

4 days after purchasing(and just before leaving for home) my 32TSBH, I happened to open the access panel to the shower plumbing. The first thing I noticed was the bottom back of the access panel was wet. Upon inspection I found a piece of the linoleum sitting under the drain on top of the insulation! It was damp around the insulation. Brand new TT, BTW! It was like someone knew it was going to leak. I ran the shower and found that it was leaking at a connection of the shower drain pipe and another pipe. Not much just a few drops. I simply tightened it. Started the shower again and did not notice a leak there any longer, BUT water was leaking from above that. Since the dealer from whom I purchased it from was just across the street, I went over. He sent some one right over. He did two things. He said that Jayco had left the washer out of where the shower head connects to the hose, and that Jayco had not caulked well around the actual faucet. He put a washer in, and caulked with silicone around the faucet. He said I had to wait for the silicone to dry before using the shower. I was ready to head home so I never did get to check it. Heading back down this Thursday, so I plan on checking it out then..I still can not believe that Jayco placed that piece of linoleum just below the leak! If they knew, why not just fix the problem!

This was posted by Krackeer.

I had read this post a while back as I have been following this forum trying to learn all I can before making a TT purchase and we are going to buy either the Eagle 314bds or the Jayflight 32bhds. So I cant answer from personal experience yet but did find this in another thread.
turbo-power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #7

I know for a fact the tub did not fill up. It was just about a 1/16" in there when I noticed it before bed and then there was a slightest trail of water on the floor outside the bathroom.

Turbo-power - like I said above I did notice the wood behind the shower access panel (not the water line access) was damp. Could make sense about the shower ~~~~
Old 09-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #8

It doesn't take much to fill up a 36 gal. gray tank. We (wife and I) can do it in two days, and we are careful w/ water usage. Fills up quicker w/ guests. I just watch it closely (so does my wife) and let it out when it gets pretty full. When it is getting close to black tank drain time, I am more careful about how much I let out as I want a pretty full gray tank to come behind the black tank drain.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote