Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

314BHDS Black Tank Valve

Hello all! First time posting here and unfortunately it's not just to say hello but for some guidance on my black tank.

We are on our first trip in our Jayco in MT. We bought the unit brand new during the winter from Des Moines RV.

The black tank was registering at full so I went out to connect my sewer line. When setting up camp I made sure the valves were both pushed in, in the closed position. I put my gloves on and got the sewer end of the hose inserted into the campground sewer. I then started to unthread the black tank dust cap. As I did this I got a dose of you know what. I managed to get the cap back on and checked the valve and could hear it sliding back and forth, engaging and disengaging. I started to remove the cap again knowing that sliding the valve probably released more liquid but let it run off but it didn't seem like it was slowing down. I removed the cap in the gray tank and it was dry as a bone. Is it possible I got a camper with a defective valve? I figured they were pretty fool proof.

Thanks for any and all help.

John
Wheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your trailer(?).

Hopefully an experienced JOF member will have some info for you. So far, I have had no 'surprises' during my dumps.

It might be of some help if you would include the year and model of your unit. Someone else may have had a similar problem. Also, this was the first time you have dumped any tanks on this or any other RV, correct?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your trailer(?).

Hopefully an experienced JOF member will have some info for you. So far, I have had no 'surprises' during my dumps.

It might be of some help if you would include the year and model of your unit. Someone else may have had a similar problem. Also, this was the first time you have dumped any tanks on this or any other RV, correct?
Thanks Oldman! My unit is a 2014 314BHDS. You are correct that this is the first time I've dumped this or any other trailer, although I've assisted on other camping trips with friends.

Also wanted to note that the gray tank drain seems to be working fine. I didn't dump it but I did remove the dust cap and it was dry as a bone. I didn't want to drain it and then not have anything to "rinse" my hose with after dumping the black tank.

John
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #4

Just went out and tried to empty gray tank since it's getting full and we are here through the night...gray tank won't empty. Hooked up the hose and pull the valve and get nothing. I'm stumped.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
Thanks Oldman! My unit is a 2014 314BHDS. You are correct that this is the first time I've dumped this or any other trailer, although I've assisted on other camping trips with friends.

Also wanted to note that the gray tank drain seems to be working fine. I didn't dump it but I did remove the dust cap and it was dry as a bone. I didn't want to drain it and then not have anything to "rinse" my hose with after dumping the black tank.

John
A couple of things:
It is possible that your black tank valve leaked a bit and filled the tube between the valve and the cap; if so this would be limited to a low volume of liquids behind the cap (yuck!).
-OR-
The blade part of the black tank valve is broken or disconnected from the rod that moves the blade in a out; if so there could be a large volume (the whole black tank) of solids and liquids behind the cap (yuck x#2!).

It would be best to have some kind of tub in place to minimize the possible mess on the ground as you proceed....

For the low volume of liquids, you should be able to hold the hose when you remove the cap so that the small amount of liquid goes into the dump hose, then connect the dump hose, pull the valve to dump the tank as usual.
But for problem #2 (pun intended)you may need to try to get the hose in place to dump your black, then gray, as usual. This could be a very messy job. I have no experience so no good help as to how to minimize the mess.

If it is problem #2 and you get the hose connected and tank dumped, the valve will need to be replaced. So use lots of water and thoroughly clean the black tank and don't use the black tank again until after the valve is replaced.

That's all I got. Hope it helped.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
Just went out and tried to empty gray tank since it's getting full and we are here through the night...gray tank won't empty. Hooked up the hose and pull the valve and get nothing. I'm stumped.
If the handle and rod detaches from the blade part of the valve, you can move the handle but the valve remains closed. That's my best guess.

Since nothing comes out of the gray, can you see up to the valve with the cap off?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

I can't see anything up there. But after reading your response I feel like I know exactly what the issue is, though. Neither rod was connected to the blade at the factory. The black tank blade valve was in the open position and the gray tank blade valve was in the closed position. That's the only thing I can come up with....