Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

31DSLB Reviews

Does anyone have any reviews of this unit? It seems to have everything we would want. Bunks with play area for kids, master bedroom, outdoor fridge, outdoor speakers, black tank flush, more storage, outside bathroom access and more. It seems to have it all for us. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Since the Whitehawk line is new reviews will be likely be scarce for one particular model. Overall the members that have posted here regarding the Whitehawk line have been positive.

FLOORPLAN 31DSLB
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 6,215
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 685
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 8,200
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,985
Measurements
Exterior Length 34' 11"
Exterior Height w/ AC 132"
Interior Height 78"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 46
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 45
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity 6-10
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

We looked at that model very closely. Yes, it is a very nice trailer that is built with a family with kids in mind. After looking at a couple other floor plans, we ended up with the Jay Flight 32BHDS. The larger rear bunk with the full slide and large outdoor kitchen is what sold us. If you have a TV that can handle the weight (my 32BHDS is 8100lbs dry), I would highly recommend looking at one.
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

We would already need a TV for the 31dslb so the cost of the even larger TV and the bigger camper may not be feasible.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

We would have been in the same situation, too. Luckily I have 4 different family members with 3/4 ton diesel trucks...plus I have a seasonal site so it's one trip there and one trip back. Good luck with your decision. The White Hawks are a very nice TT.
ajb1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
We would already need a TV for the 31dslb so the cost of the even larger TV and the bigger camper may not be feasible.
At present we are returning to Louisiana from touring the New England States since May 8th. We have a Ford F 150 Ecoboost with the 3.55 rear end and tow the 31dslb. Avg 11 mpg towing. Both performed very well. Only thing is when towing you must use 89 or 93 octane gas for better performance. I use 87 when not towing. Next trip we are taking our grandsons to the Ozarks in July. Then to Boloxi in Aug.

Good luck

James
James Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Looks like a perfect TT setup for you! I've seen a few out in CG's this year. I love the interiors. I've noticed the tires are farther apart than my TT-32bhds. Is that for better road handling or to accommodate the lighter weight...etc?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Well Hello There,
I've been trying to reply to this thread for sometime however it appears there are still bugs when trying to sign up....that being said, I have a 31DSLB and it is AWESOME!
This is our 3rd trailer in 5 years and I believe we finally found the keeper.
What would you like to know about it?
It is both beautiful on the outside as well as on the inside....you really can not ask for more floor space once the massive slide is extended out the full 3 feet. The extra slide in the kids bedroom is really nice to have for storage.
Even the mattress in our bedroom is a pillowtop and more comfortable then our $1500 bed at home....fridge is a bit larger then most. Cabinet work is really well done.
Heated and enclsed underbelly. The front storage areas and access to them are MASSIVE and have lights on both ends.
The kids bedroom was a big selling feature to me. We camp 30-50 nights a year and as our son gets older and wants/needs his own space, he now has his very own space away from mom and dad....a trailer like the 28DSBH is also very nice and we considered it very hard but concluded that having another bedroom would probably allow us to camp longer with our son.
I have a love hate relationship with the 2 power awnings though...I love how easy they are to deploy and love that the arms are not in the way when walking by the trailer but I hate how everytime the wind gets past 10 I have to reel them back in for fear of having them blown over the trailer.
The wide stance axles make towing a dream (unless in extreme crosswinds) and I'm towing with a 2011 F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package. Dry weight of our unit was 6669lbs with all options and full propane tanks. We scaled just over 8100lbs fully loaded with water on board and the ECO barely knew it was there.
The access to the bathroom from the outside is nice with the 2nd door.
Ours has the outside kitchen option....cant say that ill ever use it though. The fridge only runs off AC current and we only dry camp so it will never be on. As a matter of fact I took it out and made more storage out of it. It also has water taps and a spout however the bowl/basin it dumps into doesn't have a drain....so you have to then pick it up and carefully carry it somewhere to dump it. Kind of a silly set up to me. It does have a neat quick connect that you attach a lenth of coiled hose up to and you can wash your dog off or whatever....Also the propane stove top is a little close to the trailer for my liking. Also has 2 quick connects under the trailer to connect a bbque up to. (they include the coiled hose and propane lines)
My only real complaints which are really trivial are:
the mattress lifts up for storage in the master bedroom however they have not installed shocks to keep it raised. You can not raise it, hold it up and put anything in it...it requires 2 people. For $10 - $20 bucks and 10-15 mins of my time I should be able to install some myself. Same with the 2 cabinets over the couch..they do not stay up when opened so you only have 1 free hand to grab stuff...again a few bucks and minimal time and I will address this shortly. I just thought for that kind of $$$ they would have been included.
I don't care for the plastic toilet - its a little small. Our porcellin one was much bigger and felt more sturdy in our last trailer.
It only has 1 roof vent...I found that strange for a 32' trailer...
It has 2 grey tanks not 1.....1 services the kitchen sink only and the other takes care of the bathroom sink and shower - they will not equalize so you end up filling the bathroom tank fairly quickly if u have showers while the kitchen tank remains almost empty. This could also be addressed if 1 wished.
The kitchen cabinets could of had a shelf built in.
Ours only had 20lb propane tanks....I quickly upgraded to 30s....
Overall I am very happy with our choice. The build quality seems really good and again the issues I listed are quite trival and easily dealt with.
Would I buy this unit again....YES!
I still find myself sitting on the couch with a huge grin on my face almost every night at some point when in it......I really do love this thing....my wife love, loves it, and our son can not get enough of it!
Any specific questions? I'll do my best to answer them for you.
Oh also thought I'd add that this is a big unit....I'm sure you know this already but at 35' plus your +/- 22' truck, it will make 75% or more the the camping sites unavailble to you due to your length....around here I'm limited to about 20% at best now....good thing we just found a steal of a deal on an equally awesome seasonal site.
31dslbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #9

Wow, thanks for the review!

I was wondering about the 2nd fridge and that stinks that it's only an AC fridge but most of the time we can get AC. There's only one state park we go to that has zero hookups but everything else is not an issue with that.

Interesting about that second sink. Is there a way to drill a small hole or something and perhaps connect some tubing so that it drains under the trailer or something? I on;y see myself using that sink to wash my hands after handling the bbq meat so it wouldn't be much water at all.

As for the dual gray tanks, I'm assuming you have 2 separate handles you need to pull when emptying the gray? Are there 2 gray tank sensors on the monitoring system?

I'm sure Ill have more questions but thanks again!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #10

I really wanted to use that 2nd fridge for beverages and didn't even think to ask before purchasing it...I assumed it would be dual at least and you know what they say about assuming...
I could see you being able to hook something up to that sink. You would also need to drill though the shelf it sits on and account for the fact that it slides in and out on rails. (unless you just attach and unattach everytime somehow?) However if you only seeing yourself using it for that purpose it may not be that big of a bother to just throw the small amount away.
It also has a light and the control for that awning is also in that compartment.
As for the grey....yes it has 2 valves to pull and yes it has 2 sensors onboard in the neat and clean charging station where most of the switches and 1 of the 12V connections are located. (along with the peg board and hanging key hooks which are another added touch)
31dslbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
Looks like a perfect TT setup for you! I've seen a few out in CG's this year. I love the interiors. I've noticed the tires are farther apart than my TT-32bhds. Is that for better road handling or to accommodate the lighter weight...etc?
31dslbguy gave a great review. Although I use the outside fridge, stove and BBQ often. Can do without the sink tho. The axles are set further apart for better towing. As he said, in a cross wind, not much helps. Another thing is the roof material does not seem to be the normal smooth rubber. The slide out has the smooth rubber roof.
James Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #12

Great Review 31dslbguy, this was the kind of review we were looking for when we were shopping.
We bought the White Hawk 31dslb this spring, have used it once. My biggest concern was how my 2005 Chev Z71 4x4 would pull it - I was pleasantly surprised. We towed 400km, pulled and handled great. Power was sufficient but only averaged 8 - 8.5 MPG. 100km of the trip was in a very strong (50+km/hr) crosswind and driving rain, still pulled at 95 - 100km/hr with very little waggle to the trailer at all. We did encounter a large hill, made the truck work. If I was hauling through the mountains, I would be replacing my tired old chevy (225,000 km).
This is my fist trailer with electric awnings, and I did have to retract them (main awning and one over the outdoor kitchen) a few times due to wind. They will lift when a wind gust catches them and bang back down, I did not want to find out what would happen if they caught a big gust. With my old trailer and manual awning, I found out the hard way the fabric is the first to go, not sure that would be the case with the electric awning.

x2 on the storage - front passthrough is canvernous. I really have no dislikes at this time, but minor things:
- want for a bit more storage in the bathroom (we use the back room slideout wardrobe to store bathroom stuff)
- higher/deeper drawers in kitchen for cutlery
- BBQ that comes with it does not cook very even, but the quick connect and bumper mount are very convenient!
Good luck with the decision.
202Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #13

I just picked up my 31DSLB last Friday afternoon and was parked, landing gear down, and sipping some wine about 5 hours later in a spot about 4 hours north of me. This is my first trailer and I love it. It took me about 3 weeks to finally pull the trigger on buying this as it was such a huge decision. I am not disappointing...... neither are my wife or 4 kids. We loved every minute and every feature. Lots of room and tons of space. I know that many people like to upgrade or change after a couple years but I think we got it right on the first try.
wildside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

I pick mine up on Friday, 3/29/13. I can't wait.
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

We just took our new Jayco 31dslb on its maiden voyage to a beautiful campground (Parnell Creek, Woodville Alabama) and everything went just great. We traded up from a smaller unit because when we were in Colorado a few weeks ago our Granddaughter and her bff stayed with us and we had to give up the whole living space for them to sleep. This trip our 7 year old grandson went with and he claimed the bunk house as his. We had plenty of room and storage space and max comfort. The temp reached about 90 with hi humidity and we were very comfortable. I tow with a 2010 F150 5.4 Flex Fuel and we did great. Ran between 65 and 70 on the interstates and got a bit over 11 mpg. I kept telling my wife that we do not want a tt with a bunk house. Boy was I wrong. The 31 bunk house is perfect. Not only was it claimed by our grandson but it is a great place to sit and relax and read so it definitely doubles as a den. If just the two of us go it is great as a dressing room, as well. Although this unit is 9 feet longer than the one we traded it pulls better. We had a number of comments from neighbors at the campground and a few came to see what we had. All were impressed as we were when we looked at it. I had to try out the outside grill made some great burgers and cleaned up great. As we are both retired we have next weeks trip planned already. We had to come home for some appointments or we would still be out. I would recommend the White Hawk not only to retired couples who really want some space but to families as well. By the way the outside entrance into the bathroom is a great feature. When you (or your grandkids) come from the pool etc, you don't track all the way through the living room. The bedroom is just a bit small, but as I said earlier the bunk house or even the bathroom have plenty of room to change. The bed is very comfortable, and we slept very well. Luv it......
bamagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #16

Just one more quick entry. We had an ice maker that we purchased a couple of years ago. it is a small unit that was about $150. We put it in the front storage compartment and as soon as we hooked up added water. Voila, the next morning plenty of ice. The next evening, well, I like mine shaken not stirred.
bamagator is offline   Reply With Quote