Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

3rd Jayco, not happy

Third time is apparently not the charm. I've owned 2 other Jayco trailers, and just picked up a new 23RLSW that was ordered special to get a particular upholstery pattern. It came with the wrong dinette table for the pattern per the brochures, and Jayco seems to not care. The LED lighting throughout is like living on the street under mercury vapor lamps. Every single fixture was full of sawdust from the installation. I've already removed the one over the dinette and replaced it with a dual bulb incandescent with 2 light intensity settings. The fit of the port side wheel well trim is beyond terrible, and the little cut off piece was installed crooked and did not even line up with the remainder attached to the slide out. I removed all that, spaced the short piece properly, made end caps out of sheet metal to seal the gaping holes left by the factory that just cut it to fit. It also seems to be poor design to not have some kind of metal or plastic splash cover over the wheels between them and the slide out mechanism, that's the next upgrade after next weeks trip. There are other minor deficiencies that are not up to Jayco quality by any means, perhaps this one was built by the kids from 'Breaking Amish' instead of the normal folks. Sorry Jayco, this one had to be built on a Monday with hungover workers, or Friday with them wanting to get done and get to the bar. Would not recommend this to anybody that can't fix stuff.
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

There has long been "folk wisdom" about buying cars.
Some say never buy a car that came off the line on a Friday afternoon.
Some say never buy a car that came off the line on a Monday morning.
Everybody says never buy a car just after model changeover.

One thing I've noticed, after six months on this forum, is that some folks (like me) seem to have a pretty much perfect RV - only one loose bolt on the slide adjustment.
Others seem to get lemons with dozens and dozens of obvious problems. Both type of unit comes out of the same factory (although perhaps not off the same line). Does Jayco work multiple shifts?

I wish there was something with or on the RV (a code or something) that would state when each RV came off the manufacturing line - and which line at Jayco.
I think it would be VERY interesting to ask people to post that code (if it existed) followed by a number from 1-10 ranking their build quality. Then correlate those numbers to determine trends.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum... great first post. Just curious, did all of these problems not occur until AFTER you did your PDI and picked it up?

All trailers are basically crappy, just some are nicer than others. I love my Jayco, but its had a couple little things that needed to be fixed. I have a good dealer who fixed most stuff before I did PDI, then fixed some more stuff AFTER PDI.

I know it sucks that trailers are like this, but at some point you have to agree to take the product before you sign on the dotted line. If it wasn't up to your standards... why did you accept it?
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

You can lookup the VIN for your trailer online. Won't tell you anymore than what year it is, but they generally contain a character that indicates what "plant" the unit came from (character 11); not necessarily the same as line, but does Jayco have more than one location?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

Are you trying to see if it's one person or not? Go after the company, not the employee. Jayco should do everything they can to fix what should of been right in the first place. You sure it's not just the dealer not willing to help?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Directly from the Jayco manual:

Jayco reserves the right to discontinue or change specifications or design at any
time without notice and without incurring any obligation whatsoever. RV’s built for
sale in Canada may differ to conform to Canadian Codes

Yea it happened to us...
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Well thankfully we have the exact opposite of this problem with the same trailer 23RLSW.

We have been very happy with the build quality compared to others we have had in the past.

Sorry to hear about your problems with yours. Ours was one that was on the lot we did not order it from factory maybe the dealer fixed any problems before we got it.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

We went from a 28BHBE to a 377RLBH. I expected more problems as there is more to go wrong when you upgrade. I was not disappointed with the problems, but was also not disappointed with the upgrade!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 PM   #9

3rd Jayco, not happy

Levine,
I wasn't trying to 'go after' anybody, just look for trends. For example, the data might suggest that a higher percentage of lemons come off the factory on Friday afternoon.

Purely an academic exercise, I am a retired business school professor [emoji41]. We love to charge companies to do quality studies like this. Then it's always fun to sit back and see if management can actually USE the results to improve production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 PM   #10

Jayco has a number of plants, each plant builds one line...ie JayFlight...next is a 5er, etc. They were only operating one shift when we toured two of the plants, no clue if they run multiple lines at other times. We toured in April of 15 when we picked up our TT. FYI our was built on a Friday and we have had no real issues, few minor things I just took care of. Wife did call Jayco regarding the dinette cushions that were tearing where the Velcro was attached, they sent a complete set out NC.

Were happy campers

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

I said it before and don't recall positive responses, but here goes again. Jayco could offer an optional in-factory PDI which would cover all the things that we non handy, non mechanical types are supposed to find on our own. That option would also agree that anything still missed will be brought up to expected standards by dealer or the factory itself. This would be more than simply an extended warranty but a near guarantee that you get what you expected. Let Jayco set the price and the buyer make the decision.

If Jayco quality is sufficiently high, I would expect that the majority of fixes would be done in the factory and cheaply for Jayco. The occasional major problem that could not have been found in-factory would hardly take the profit out of the total option income.

It might be expensive, sure. But in my mind a far better investment than a bunch of dollars for a pretty but glorified space heater of a "fireplace" that so many pop for.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #12

I think the issue is with the theory of paying EXTRA to make sure the product was right in the first place...

In reality, Jayco should increase the price per trailer by $90 and pay a quality control employee $30/hour to spend 3 hours poring over every single trailer before it leaves the factory. For $90 (or less, not sure what a reasonable hourly rate in Indiana might be...) Jayco can ensure better initial quality, can better track what crews are making specific problems, and fix things better and cheaper at the factory than at the dealership.

There is no reason that something like this doesn't get done. I can't imagine that a $90 price difference would cause any loss in sales, especially if that $90 investment created a better overall product.
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #13

Spoon059. A price increase would soon become precisely that, with zero degrees of separation between today's product and tomorrow's. Of course, that's just my opinion. And I think the possibility of increased profit from my plan would stimulate more company interest.

Maybe others agree with you. Maybe other ideas are out there. But I'm darned if I'm buying a replacement for my 2011 near perfect still Eagle after reading the increasing number of complaints over my years of ownership. And mine gets the heck kicked out of it the first five miles every time we use it, plus we've wintered in it for every winter but this last one. So it's had lots of use.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #14

I don't agree that we are seeing a great increase in the percentage of units with "issues". What your seeing is an industry pushed to the max to build units to meet the demands. 1% of 1000 units is 10 problems. 1% of 300,000 units is 300, an increase in numbers but not percentage wise.

Also, Jayco does have at the end of each line, a team that just go over the units. Cleaning up caulk, dirt and dust, etc. they are humans, not perfect but do a good job, I've watched them. Doors not closing, especially all the doors, would make me think out of level and racking the unit. Moldings, will shrink and grow with weather. Made when it's dry, get it to a higher humidity area and your likely to pop a nail or two, not the hill to die on. Ones person huge issue is another persons ho hum. As I get older I have less and less hills i'm ready to die on. I also realize I'm not perfect so how can I expect others to be.

Long as Jayco steps up and takes care of the issues it a moot point to me. Should it happen, of course not, does it... yep. And Doctors make mistakes that kill people, have not heard of people dying over loose molding.

We need to keep things in perspective, if you hate Jayco there are dozens of other companies to choose from. I've been happy with my TT, and happy with Jayco...

FYI at $30 an hour, your paying an employee about minimum wage...cost will be closer to double that for average factory worker. Government regulations adds HUGE to your cost of an employee...mandatory healthcare, WC, payroll taxes, vacation, sick pay, etc etc etc.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #15

I enjoy reading the practicality of some of the posters on this site. I'm also intrigued by those who tinker with their RV's that were recently purchased, and they're not happy with. While I understand doing a simple fix yourself, the downside of doing that is Jayco will never get a full picture of potential quality problems, and therefore Jayco won't fix what they don't know is broken. You don't know what you don't know.....
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:35 PM   #16

Hi Five to Spoon---
Great idea and IF these people are making $30.00 /hr the product and company get a Bad Dog Bone for allowing stuff to ship the way it does.
I'll bet the wages are closer to half that in Indiana.
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote