Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

40 pound torque or more?

40 pound torque or 50-75, or 90-120?

A service tech verbally recommended 40 pound torque for the wheels. My perusal of the owner’s guide indicates the service tech was thinking 40 pounds for an impact gun, whereas a manual torque wrench requires a higher torque setting. Can someone please clarify this apparent discrepancy between the service techs recommendation vis-à-vis the owner’s manual?

Please excuse me for posting what likely has been asked before. As a new user to this forum I may have overlooked a discussion thread for torque settings.

I see that I’ll have to commute to the storage yard to determine the number of lugs on my 2013 Jayco Flight 185SLX to determine a torque setting.

Thank you,
Arctic Bos’un
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Bos'un View Post
snip...

A service tech verbally recommended 40 pound torque for the wheels. My perusal of the owner’s guide indicates the service tech was thinking 40 pounds for an impact gun, whereas a manual torque wrench requires a higher torque setting. Can someone please clarify this apparent discrepancy between the service techs recommendation vis-à-vis the owner’s manual?

...snip
Welcome to the forum.

I use what the manual says for my trailer and wheels. I have no idea what the tech had in mind, but it is unlikely he meant a torque setting when using an impact wrench.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I use what the manual says for my trailer and wheels. I have no idea what the tech had in mind, but it is unlikely he meant a torque setting when using an impact wrench.
X2
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

A good rule of thumb for wheel lug nut torque for the average trailer is 80-100 ft lbs. It is best to go by the manual though. Larger trailers can have higher torques. I also don't understand the impact wrench comment made, torque is torque, regardless of the tool used to tighten the nut. I never torque lug nuts with an impact wrench, at least with mine there is no way to set the torque.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Team

40 pound torque or more?

I use 90 lbs right out of the Dexter manual for 16in wheels. 90-120 ft lbs.

I would check the manual for you wheel type , rim size and sequence.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #6

At Discount Tire (and probably other tire stores, too) they use an impact wrench only to 'snug' up the lug nuts in an alternating pattern, but below the proper torque. They then go back with a 'click' type torque wrench and, in an alternating pattern, bring all the lug nuts up to torque.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #7

If memory serves me right, the generic owners manual for Jayco does recommend tightening in stages using a star pattern in tightening the lug nuts. It seems like I ended up at 110 ft lbs for each. I am comfortable with those settings.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

Loosen nuts before checking torque or not?

Please recommend a procedure for properly checking and adjusting wheel torque. The owner's manual appears silent on this aspect of wheel torque adjustment.

1. It would seems easy to over-torque a wheel that is already properly torqued, if one simply adjusts the clicker for the specified setting and proceeds through the three torque setting stages.

2. It would seem that the only way to assure a proper torque setting is to:
a. Jack the trailer up to lift the wheel off of the ground.
b. Loosen the lug nuts, before,
c. Commencing the three-stage torque procedure.

Simply applying a torque wrench to wheels that may already be properly torqued or near torque specifications seems imprudent. I’m trying to apply logic to a process that I've never experienced.

I will very much appreciate your experienced recommendation.

Regards,
The Artic Bos'un
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

A click type torque wrench will not over tighten a previously torqued nut assuming the wrench setting closely matches the original torque. The wrench will make an easily discernible click and seem to move a bit when it reaches the preset torque. If you try again the nut will not move or move only very slightly before the wrench clicks again signaling you that the torque has been achieved.
No need to raise the wheel off the ground. In fact, it is much easier to loosen or tighten the lug nuts if the wheel doesn't turn.
I don't know anybody who performs lug nut torquing in 3 stages! That type of precision is reserved for engine head bolts, intake and exhaust manifolds.

I like to plan for the worst so I initially torque with a known accurate torque wrench and then attempt to loosen it with the lug wrench I will have with me on the road. If I can't break it loose, it's too tight and I'll go back and try a lower setting until it gets to the point where I can loosen it. Then all the lug nuts get tightened to this torque. This is not a recommendation; I'm just telling you what I do. I'd rather have them a little under the recommended torque but be able to loosen them if need be than to have them torqued up to spec and not be able to remove the wheel in the event of a flat tire. I have been doing it this way all my life and have yet to have a lug nut come loose. YMMV
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

It seems to me people over think torquing their wheels. In 35 years of owning many cars, trucks, and several trailers, I never torque my wheels. I have never had a wheel come loose, never had a loose lug nut, and have never warped an alloy wheel. And yes, I often use an impact wrench. Maybe I just have a feel for it, but that's how I do it.

If you feel you must torque, and you use an impact wrench, use a torque stick. It takes the guess work out. I've used them and they do work pretty good. But I don't own a set myself.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Bos'un View Post
snip...

1. It would seems easy to over-torque a wheel that is already properly torqued, if one simply adjusts the clicker for the specified setting and proceeds through the three torque setting stages.
No. That won't over torque lug nuts.

2. It would seem that the only way to assure a proper torque setting is to:
a. Jack the trailer up to lift the wheel off of the ground.
b. Loosen the lug nuts, before,
c. Commencing the three-stage torque procedure.
Yes. That procedure would produce properly torqued lug nuts.

Simply applying a torque wrench to wheels that may already be properly torqued or near torque specifications seems imprudent. I’m trying to apply logic to a process that I've never experienced.

I will very much appreciate your experienced recommendation.

Regards,
The Artic Bos'un
Here's another process that will yield properly torqued lug nuts with a bit less work:
Pick one lug nut. Loosen it. Then torque that same lug nut to 3/4 of the recommended torque (75ft lbs if 100ft lbs is the recommended amount). Following the 'star pattern' do the same loosen & torque for all of the other lug nuts. Now set the torque wrench for 100ft lbs and follow the star pattern (starting with any lug nut to choose) and torque all of the lug nuts to 100ft lbs.

The added benefits of this process is that...
1) if someone over torqued a lug nut, it will be corrected.
2) if you cannot remove the a lug nut, you will know it (better now than on a trip).

I've done this every time someone I didn't know/trust installed wheels on my vehicles.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!