Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

5 way remote

My trailer did not come with the 5way remote. After watching a video on it, it's cool and I want it. Can it still be added if it wasn't originally equipped?
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

This is the remote that operates the slides, awning, awning light, etc? We got the option included as part of the Elite package and I have to say I never use it. It is marginally useful to put slides out if you have to stand there and make sure you don't hit an obstacle. Other than that, it's a novelty that quickly wore off. Plus, there is an issue where if you turn on the awning lights with the remote, you cannot turn them off with the "house switch" in the panel, and vice versa. Essentially, you have to turn off the lights with the switch used to turn them on. We do not have electric stab jacks, so I'm not sure it can be used for those.

I'm sure others find them more useful, but to us, it seems a tad "gimmicky". Having had it, I would never pay extra just for that option, but everyone's experience is different.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

X2 on not using the remote as much as I thought we would.
I like having it but would not pay extra for it if I were buying another rig.
As to an after Market install, having made some changes to the wiring in that area, I would think it's a pretty major job to add one. That assumes you can even get the parts.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

It's a novelty that will go unused... The control module is wired in to relays and fuses and my guess is it would be cost prohibitive to have installed aftermarket.

It's one of those "look what I can do" devices that is great for marketing and RV shows. About the only useful feature would be if I were sitting outside having a drink and the wind came up and I wanted to retract the awning, and yet I would either have to have the forsite to put the remote in my pocket or I would still have to get up and go in the rig to get it.... at which point you just bring the awning in.

In regards to putting the slides out or activating autolevel... those are procedures that are done exactly twice.. once when setting up and another when leaving. I tend to want to be inside the rig when deploying slides to make sure a cabinet door hasn't opened and about to get ripped off... not outside sitting in my chair. You can initiate the autolevel process, but that's it. You cant retract or bring back to hitch position. Again, things I want to be standing there watching and already at the control panel.

I'd have rather seen them use the remote to control things like interior lighting, heat and ceiling fan... things I'd actually like to be able to control after I've gotten sat down or in bed.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

You guys are doing a good job talking me out of it. I was also curious if my unit was set up for it but just didn't come with the controller
Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

My 2016 Jay Flight came equipped with one, but like others mentioned, I rarely use it. Then there's the issue that Lam mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Lam View Post
Plus, there is an issue where if you turn on the awning lights with the remote, you cannot turn them off with the "house switch" in the panel, and vice versa. Essentially, you have to turn off the lights with the switch used to turn them on.
You could check with Jayco and see if perhaps it's already wired as you mentioned. Similar to what they're doing with remote starters in cars these days. My wife's Volvo came with a factory remote starter installed, we just had to pay the dealer to turn it on via a software upgrade for the ripoff price of $500!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

My 2016 33RLDS came equipped with it. I use it all the time as it is hard for me to bend over to push the jack buttons, etc. I use it as I put the slides out to as some times the water and electric setups are close - and, I just like to be outside and see that my slides are moving smoothly and clear of anything that might damage them.

I guess its all up to what you like but I'd check with jayco to make sure you're wired for it.
Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #8

We decided to order our 2017 White Hawk with it. If I don't use it much, that's fine. Will probably use it primarily to activate the slide from the outside and power jacks. Since we factory ordered and the option was only a couple hundred bucks, I figured why not. I probably wouldn't go through the hassle of adding after the fact unless it was just a simple plug-n-play.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard49 View Post
My 2016 33RLDS came equipped with it. I use it all the time as it is hard for me to bend over to push the jack buttons, etc. I use it as I put the slides out to as some times the water and electric setups are close - and, I just like to be outside and see that my slides are moving smoothly and clear of anything that might damage them.

I guess its all up to what you like but I'd check with jayco to make sure you're wired for it.

I can see how having the independent stabilizers where you have to deploy them manually by holding the button on each one where the remote function would come in handy.

I forget that each floorplan/model is different and that the remote can be keyed to doing different functions... not just the one's in my model.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #10

Gman - the real magic of that unit is in a large control board with relays and electronics that is mounted in one of the kitchen cabinets. I'll bet that control board is about 90% of the cost of the "remote option" - the actual hand held unit is minor. So it's no likely that Jayco would put that expensive board in and then just not include the remote.

But on my unit, the circuit board is right behind all of the awning and slideout switches - so adding the board would just be a matter of some major rewiring of all the associated circuits. They wouldn't be hard to get to - or require running new circuits, etc. But It would still be labor intensive, and I wouldn't do it.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I agree with all that adding it wouldn't be worth the cost. I don't have power stabilizers which is where I see the unit could come in handy. The slide goes out once and doesn't go back till your under way. I thought it could be useful for the awning but for the hassle I'll get off my lazy butt and hit the button on the cabinet. Considering I'm coming from a manual awning on a pup I'll be content with the hard wired button.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

We have it on our 2014 Eagle and I use it all the time. Carry the remote in the truck so when I get out I don't have to unlock the front button for the front jacks. Just use the remote.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
You guys are doing a good job talking me out of it. I was also curious if my unit was set up for it but just didn't come with the controller
Well it seems many don't care for it but I use mine all the time. It works great because on my trailer the outdoor lights are behind a door obove the entertainment center. The remote housing is on the wall by the front door so it works like a light switch when going outside. I don't even use the toggle switch ever cause I have the remote. I do like to use it for the awning all the time as well. Then at home I park the trailer on the side of my house and the front door is very hard to use so I have to use the rear door into the bathroom on the driver side (2016 BHS model) to access the coach. Since I have the double slide I can't get through the coach to get to the command center so I use the remote to open her up. I don't know what I would do without it but to each is own on this one. However i do believe it's a look at what I have option that came with the trailer when I bought it off the lot. Just like all the fancy buttons I have on my truck that I used when I first bought it and never used again.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

I dont see how the people that have it dont bother to really use it,i think it's great,i use mine all the time.i keep the remote in my truck,comes in handy when we come back to the trailer and it's dark i can turn on the awning lights,or if it's raining i can open the awning up to keep us dry til we get in.Also it's nice to hit the button for the power jacks and walk around and set up the pads for the feet without having to run back and forth and press the button on the trailer to line them up.I do agree adding it to a trailer that didnt come with it could be costly,but personally i use mine all the time.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #15

Great use for remote...minor MOD

I have read some different comments over the past months about the bright LED awning lights and the orange step light that I didn't even knew I had until after the sixth time using the trailer cause the lights are so bright.

Well I wanted to be able to use the lights separately so I took off the main control panel. Inside the switch for the awning light had a small wire the links the two together. I unplugged the wire and it turns off the awning light. Now the panel switch turns on the step light only and I use the 5-way remote to turn the awning light on when needed. The remote is mounted on the wall next to the door so it works like a light switch. Best use for the remote besides being outside making sure all is clear when I moving out the slide.

Hope this helps others who want the same use of the step light at night.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #16

Remote

I use mine all the time. It makes setting up a snap..
Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #17

Had a remote but I did have problems where the slide out would just quit at times when using it. The manual switch always worked for for the slides. So some kind of communication problem with it. When I took the unit in for warranty and picked it up I found the screen cracked in half. Still waiting for a new one since Nov. 2016. Not sure if it cracked from the summer heat while sitting in their lot for repair or it was dropped by them. If I ever get a new one I will definitely keep it in my truck for sure.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #18

My White Hawk has it and I have to agree about most of it. However, my slide is so much deeper than on my former TT, that I've used it for putting the slide out just about every trip for that. I just did a mod on the LED strip and it will only work on the remote for now. I don't think you're missing anything special, though... I'd rather have had what they charged me for it off the trailer price. It's worth several tanks of towing fuel.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1 View Post
I use mine all the time. It makes setting up a snap..
I do too. I can see what is happening while the slide is going out. It has kept me from hitting a tree stump once.
I also take the remote with us when we go away and come back at night. Turn on the awning lights and can see everything. Too bad Jayco didn't put a dimmer on that light. Sure is bright.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:24 AM   #20

Actually you could do this aftermarket pretty cheap. All you need is a remote controlled relay. There are lots of options on Amazon. Just wire it into/both sides of the switches behind the panel and you have the remote for ~$20. Cmon electronics are cheap these days, Jayco knows this and hopes we don't figure it out. There is a reason they make more money on options.
tigger1197 is offline   Reply With Quote